• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Board Trolls

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Question - has this board been attacked by a number of trolls over recent weeks? Discus:

To me there appears to have been a few trolls, or potential trolls, inhabiting this board recently. They appear to simply post gibberish or rubbish. I do not want to name any names :lol:

The admin do a good job in fishing them out. Is this a sign of the success of this board or is it just something that happens to all boards?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It happens to all boards and just sometimes seems to run in phases where suddenly seemingly there are loads around whilst other times you can go for weeks and weeks without seeing one.

To be honest this board is pretty lenient (not that this is a bad thing! As always I'm very happy with the way the mod team manages the board) compared to another I frequent, over there you get at most one chance and if you foul it up then the ban hammer from on high comes down and it's a permanent goodbye.

Badger

I come from a series of forums that generally end up at war with one another, and basically, we came to echo tigerroar's post. If people break rules, we punish them for those rules, but branding them a troll does nothing more than let them win :).

I'd say whatever trolling there is here is nowhere near some places though. I mean, at the largest extent, I've known people who've weaseled their way into admin positions and then taken down sites, through what they egotistically call their "social manipulation".. I think that's far more trolling than sort of flame baiting or things like that.

To put it shortly, if railforums has trolls, they're nothing like as bad as they could be :p

WestCoast

Established Member
Put it this way, I've seen a much worse on other forums.

Even worse than trolls are "fanboys". No matter what you say, they are in love with a company or product and will always cheer it on and gang up on others who disagree.

SS4

Established Member
Happens everywhere, indeed this place has few trolls all in all. Perhaps it's a nationality thing since this forum by it's very name it attracts the bulk of its members from the UK (I'd be lying if I said there were no trolls in the UK of course)

Trolling is less common than flame-baiting though and I echo tigerroar's posts. Additionally calling someone a troll is, imo, more likely to make them a troll. They're not going to stick their hands up and type good find old chap. Farewell

deltic1989

Established Member
I have noticed a little bit of trolling creeping in lately, as with Rich I will name no names or posts.

Some of the best examples of trolling though can be found on Yahoo! Answers. Not to point the finger in a specific direction, but Americans coming onto the UK and Ireland section just to extract the urine.

Statto

Established Member

Even worse than trolls are "fanboys". No matter what you say, they are in love with a company or product and will always cheer it on and gang up on others who disagree.

I agree, i'm on another forum, criticism of products & or companies, even if it's fair criticism, you get the fanboys in, criticizing the poster, the worst section of that forum for trolling is the Politics board.

SS4

Established Member
I have noticed a little bit of trolling creeping in lately, as with Rich I will name no names or posts.

Some of the best examples of trolling though can be found on Yahoo! Answers. Not to point the finger in a specific direction, but Americans coming onto the UK and Ireland section just to extract the urine.

Definitely! Which is why I try and avoid the religion section, the politics section (they make Hitler look left of centre) and the football section. What makes it worse is their moderators appear to be swamped and sock puppetry is rife

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I dont think they are bad on here - i have just noticed a higher number of potentials recently.

THe football board i use is also really good and the admins tend to spot the idiots early and get rid, as they do here.

Last edited:

Ivo

Established Member
Most boards get hit at some stage (one I was on had to form a temporary hidden board to get away from them), but this forum seems to have more of a problem with a lack of understanding among certain members rather than an actual troll problem. There are some argumentative types, and some who need a lesson or 50 in both English and railways, but I can't say I've ever noticed any bona-fide trolls on here.

P.S.: Never mind trolls and fanboys, what about Fanboy Trolls?

Statto

Established Member
I haven't noticed Trolls on this forum, although i haven't gone out to look for them.

I do dislike FMs who go around saying we shouldn't discuss this ot that, whilst they might not want it being discussed, others might want to discuss it, otherwise what's the point of a forum.

The funny thing is, when FMs say they hate a forum, yet continue to post on the forum they hate, & whilst were at it, i also hate FMs who think forum rules are for everyone else other than them, & then whinge to death when they have a post modded because it broke the forum rules.

notadriver

Established Member
I've noticed on many boards that the nasty derogatory comments made about rail staff, in particular towards drivers makes me feel quite sick.

deltic1989

Established Member
The key with trolls is to not feed them, in fact to not even acknowlegde their existance, just simply move on.
That way they simply get bored and eventually move on themselves.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The key with trolls is to not feed them, in fact to not even acknowlegde their existance, just simply move on.
That way they simply get bored and eventually move on themselves.

Aww but it can be so much fun <D

LE Greys

Established Member
I hope I'm not caught up in this discussion. I'm an opinionated son of a bachelor, but what I type is usually a genuinely-held view. I hope I haven't annoyed anyone by doing so.

If you want real-world trolling, look at Prime Ministers Question Time.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I hope I'm not caught up in this discussion. I'm an opinionated son of a bachelor, but what I type is usually a genuinely-held view. I hope I haven't annoyed anyone by doing so.

Crikey I don't think anyone could accuse you of being a troll!!

Captain Chaos

Oh I so agree with this. In particular Apple and XBox fanboys. They seem to be the worst. Any attempt at providing a constructive and valid argument that points out any flaw with said product/company causes all out war against you. I've had some very unsavoury things said to me for simply saying I prefer the PS3 and don't like Apple's controlling ways. It's sad really. It's just a console/mobile phone. It's not your son/daughter/wife etc that I am insulting or complaining about.

There is too much emotional attachment these days to things rather than people. People will love you back if you show them love. How is an Apple Iphone or XBox 360 going to do that exactly? Or a PS3 (just so as there's no bias!)

tbtc

Veteran Member
Oh I so agree with this. In particular Apple and XBox fanboys. They seem to be the worst. Any attempt at providing a constructive and valid argument that points out any flaw with said product/company causes all out war against you. I've had some very unsavoury things said to me for simply saying I prefer the PS3 and don't like Apple's controlling ways. It's sad really. It's just a console/mobile phone. It's not your son/daughter/wife etc that I am insulting or complaining about.

There is too much emotional attachment these days to things rather than people. People will love you back if you show them love. How is an Apple Iphone or XBox 360 going to do that exactly? Or a PS3 (just so as there's no bias!)

Substitute "PS3", "XBox" or "Apple" for "British Rail", "GNER" or "Slam Door Loco Hauled Train" and you are getting close to some threads on here :lol:

I have some strong opinions on some subjects, I think a few people do when they are talking about a subject they care about, but its generally all polite on here, there have been a couple of toy/pram situations where people haven't dealt with things too well, but that happens on all forums.

One problem that any enthusiast site will always have is that *everyone* thinks that their local line gets the worst possible deal, everyone wants more investment in their local area, everyone wants more money spent - its hard sometimes to have a reasonable debate about (national) priorities without being taking things personally.

I think it says a lot that the number of posts seems to have shot up hugely in the time I've been on here, yet the forum seems to work just as well - the addition of new Mods (Greenback etc) seems to have worked a treat.

Ivo

Established Member
One problem that any enthusiast site will always have is that *everyone* thinks that their local line gets the worst possible deal, everyone wants more investment in their local area, everyone wants more money spent - its hard sometimes to have a reasonable debate about (national) priorities without being taking things personally.

Correction: Almost everyone ;)

Anyone who lives in the likes of Radyr or Brentwood or Preston (;)) doesn't have a leg to stand on in my opinion, especially looking ahead to circa 2020.

VTPreston_Tez

I've never seen a ban yet on this forum, never mind an insult or incident! That's fantastic of RailUK for being able to do that, tbh.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
...or Preston (;)) doesn't have a leg to stand on in my opinion, especially looking ahead to circa 2020.

Oi, I lurk this forum...

Ivo

Established Member
I've never seen a ban yet on this forum, never mind an insult or incident! That's fantastic of RailUK for being able to do that, tbh.

That's because such things get deleted. People do get banned; at least one has been banned since you joined. And incidents do occur, but they tend to get dealt with very well, usually because of people reporting - a certain thread about a certain incident in Liverpool springs to mind. The moderation system is very effective and as such Moderator status is highly respected and sought after.

Oi, I lurk this forum...

Let's be honest here - Preston does get a pretty good deal in terms of service provision. Its station is worthy of a city twice its size.

Anon Mouse

Established Member

If you want real-world trolling, look at Prime Ministers Question Time.

I was thinking the same too, Also I don't want to annoy others just by expressing my own opinions bad grammar and spelling included!

I am impressed that this board does not have a high amount of trolls and flaming as on a football forum I used to frequent or another railway forum.

VTPreston_Tez

That's because such things get deleted. People do get banned; at least one has been banned since you joined. And incidents do occur, but they tend to get dealt with very well, usually because of people reporting - a certain thread about a certain incident in Liverpool springs to mind. The moderation system is very effective and as such Moderator status is highly respected and sought after.

That's fantastic, do you have any quotes of that? I'd love to know how you all act in situations like that! (trust me, my swearing comebacks which I use at least three times a day will not mix here)

Status
Not open for further replies.