• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Boat Race Drama!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bungle73

On Moderation
First they had to stop the race because of some idiot in the water. Now Oxford have ended up with a broken oar in a clash. Nothing to stop Cambridge winning now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

David

Established Member
Why is it always Oxford v Cambridge in the final? Areall the other crews simply too bad? :?

:lol:

Bungle73

On Moderation
LOL! :lol:

Oxford not very happy.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Member of Oxford crew collapsed and needing medical attention now!

SS4

Established Member
oar dear :o

That protester must have had some balls though
Do we know why he was protesting or are we told to believe that he's wrong regardless?

Bungle73

On Moderation
I'm sure it will come out sooner or later. Whatever he was "protesting" about the guy's a prat, and was lucky to be not seriously injured, or even killed.

SS4

Established Member
Unless he's "silenced". I'd rather find out what the cause was before judging

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Do we know why he was protesting or are we told to believe that he's wrong regardless?

Of course he's wrong to interrupt the race I don't care what he's protesting he has no business doing what he did. It's the same as a streaker at football only even worse than that because it's ruined the entire thing whilst that just holds things up for a few minutes.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Some good news on the Oxford rower he is apparently conscious and sitting up in the rescue boat at this point.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Unless he's "silenced". I'd rather find out what the cause was before judging

Silenced how? What's to stop him saying whatever he wants to the media once he's been processed by the authorities?

SS4

Established Member
Silenced how? What's to stop him saying whatever he wants to the media once he's been processed by the authorities?

Nothing at all. Silenced as in the media will choose not to report it, doctor his words or portray him as crazy

Schnellzug

Established Member
There seems to be an interesting conspiracy theory being constructed here. So he's likely to be hushed up by Them? If he'd tried to jump out in front of the Queen or mr. D. Cameroon, there might be some sort of Secret agenda, perhaps, but it's a bit imaginative to speculate something along those lines just yet. Maybe he's from that Fathers 4 Justice outifit that tie themselves to bridges from time to time.

Supposedly the guy's blog:

http://elitismleadstotyranny.squarespace.com/

If you say so......

or perhaps the "nut" theory Is the simplest one.

"transnational-corpo-aristocratic ruling class"

Righto then .....

Last edited:

Bungle73

On Moderation
Alex Woods is in Charing X Hospital and is OK, stable and being kept in for monitoring.

blanco

i'm surprised that some "hooray henry" didn't blast the blighter out of the water with a blunderbuss.

Schnellzug

Established Member
he might have been a Terrorist with a backpack full of explosives, like the Suicide Frogmen the Russians trained. I bet if this had been during the Olympics, the Anti Terrorist Police would have shot him on sight.

Butts

Veteran Member
i'm surprised that some "hooray henry" didn't blast the blighter out of the water with a blunderbuss.

Excellent suggestion old bean :lol:
he might have been a Terrorist with a backpack full of explosives, like the Suicide Frogmen the Russians trained. I bet if this had been during the Olympics, the Anti Terrorist Police would have shot him on sight.

Perhaps if he'd been on the tube :idea:
Nothing at all. Silenced as in the media will choose not to report it, doctor his words or portray him as crazy

Are you suggesting a "D Notice" ?

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
He's in the river... they'd harpoon him rather than shoot him...:roll:

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
What if he had been actually struck by an oar, was rendered unconcious and suffered brain damage.

What would the legal position be ?.....there are those on this forum with a knowledge of legal matters who could give a considered opinion on this query.

bnm

Established Member
Or there are those on the forum who couldn't give a stuff about Trenton Oldfield, his politics, his reason for protesting, or his well being. He ruined a sporting spectacle that was a close run race up until he got in the way.

Bloke apparently heard on the bank shouting, "Trenton, Trenton, TRENTON!! Oh Jesus Christ. TRENTON!"

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
What if he had been actually struck by an oar, was rendered unconcious and suffered brain damage.

What would the legal position be ?.....there are those on this forum with a knowledge of legal matters who could give a considered opinion on this query.
The rowers would lack the mens rea for any injuries sustained.
Bloke apparently heard on the bank shouting, "Trenton, Trenton, TRENTON!! Oh Jesus Christ. TRENTON!"

:lol:

Schnellzug

Established Member

I would have thought that he would have been trespassing, just as if he'd run out onto an F1 track. But is the river regarded as a Public highway, (in that anyone's allowed to sail a boat on it)? For the duration of the Boat race, would it be closed, like a road being closed for a Marathon or suchlike? These are interesting legal questions.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
I would have thought that he would have been trespassing, just as if he'd run out onto an F1 track. But is the river regarded as a Public highway, (in that anyone's allowed to sail a boat on it)? For the duration of the Boat race, would it be closed, like a road being closed for a Marathon or suchlike? These are interesting legal questions.

That wouldn't affect anyone's culpability for injuries sustained.

SS4

Established Member

I suspect the section is closed. ;)

Bungle73

On Moderation
It is closed. How can anyone be liable except Mr Oldfield himself, because a) he shouldn't have been there in the first place, and b) he put himself in unnecessary danger. The guys in the boats could do nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.