• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Boat Trains At Victoria

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitdiver

In the good old days? when Victoria had Boat Trains or Golden Arrow was there a facility to check in baggage and to clear customs/passport control. I am not talking about the Gatwick air terminal but the old fashioned facility. I can remember using the facility at Weymouth Quay where the Customs officer chalked on my bag and the way out was the same as the way in.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

furgus2

Yes, there was. I can't recall the detail but I travelled on the Night Ferry through train from Victoria to Paris Nord in the summer of 1980(?), the last year of service.
I remember that passengers had to pass through an office adjacent to the the departure platform and an officer looked at my passsport. It was all very low key and certainly nothing like the process at Waterloo International or St Pancras.
Also, I remember the berth attendant collected my passport when I boarded and returned it the following morning.

D1009

Established Member
Also, I remember the berth attendant collected my passport when I boarded and returned it the following morning.

That was standard practice across Europe on international trains before the Schengen agreement.

As I remember the only customs/passport control at Victoria was for the Night Ferry as this was the only true through service. All other checks were done at the ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.