• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bodensee / Romanshorn

Status
Not open for further replies.

paddington

The ferry from Friedrichshafen to Romanshorn arrives at 08 past the hour. Does anyone know if this is the "docking time" or the actual time I could expect to be off the ship?

The pier is right next to the station and I would like to get a train at 16 mins past the hour. Would I be likely to make it?

Also I would like to know whether a bus driver in Friedrichshafen can sell a Bodensee ticket (though I'd probably attempt to get it the day before at a ticket machine).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Can't be 100% sure but in Konstanz (over the lake), the buses use the board at any door system with tickets being sold at a machine. I'm not sure if Friedrichshafen uses the same system but it may well be easier using a DB ticket machine if you can.

EAD

In terms of sales locations for the Bodensee ticket see here https://www.bodensee-ticket.com/verkaufsstellen/ (also in EN). For Germany it is clear re DB stations and ticket machines, for BOB ticket machines from Aulendorf into Friedrichsafen and re buses only mentions from the driver on RAB and Südbadenbus operated routes. Also mentions the BSB ferries (which shares the route to Romanshorn with the Swiss equivalent).

So, looks like it is not available from local buses in FN. Where are you coming from before heading for the ferry?

Veteran Member
The DB journey planner advertises the comnection, and, given the precision timing of the ferry, I would be confident about making it.

Gordon

The ferry from Friedrichshafen to Romanshorn arrives at 08 past the hour. Does anyone know if this is the "docking time" or the actual time I could expect to be off the ship?

The pier is right next to the station and I would like to get a train at 16 mins past the hour. Would I be likely to make it?

08 would be the docking time, with disembarkation likely to be pretty much immediate, so adds say 1 minute.
The official minimum connection time at Romanshorn between the ferry and trains is 6 minutes - see footnote 14 in the PDF:

https://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/fileadmin/fap_pdf_fields/2019/3810.pdf

This is Switzerland. The proposed connection will be just fine. Need to allow c.3 mins from the ferry to boarding the train.

dutchflyer

Established Member
Have done it the other way last year-fine day, boat was even (at swiss side) in a little early. In general-using brains: boats are much more subject to delays in bad weather as trains are. There was a conductor on board doing the rounds checking/selling tickets then.In Fr.hf its a 2-3 min walk from boatquay (can change) to platform. There were very few pax on foot-with a car you may have more worries about times needed, but then you wont catch trains when in them............

paddington

OK, I bought the Bodensee ticket for the next day at Lindau Hbf, actually it's exactly the same price as individual tickets for what I want (using my private EUR/CHF rate) so the 6 minute connection should be doable.

As for buses in Friedrichshafen, there is no machine on board, buy from the driver or at the train station. But everyone boards at the front door, despite just flashing some paper at the driver who doesn't care. This is also the case for all buses I've taken in Germany except Berlin, yet in Austria, Switzerland and Liechtenstein it tends to be all-door boarding, at least in the areas I've taken buses. I wonder how this was decided, as the only way to find out is to watch other people. And in Warsaw I got a funny look when I boarded via the front door the first time I took a bus (from an isolated stop), later learned nobody does that unless they want an emergency ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.