• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Body found at Paddington

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coxster

Established Member
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member
British Transport Police Press Release said:
13/04/2008 16:50
BODY FOUND PADDINGTON RAILWAY STATION

At 10:00 on Sunday, 13th April, British Transport Police were advised that the body of a man was discovered at Paddington Railway Station.

Officers were called to a remote area of the station, away from public view, following the discovery of the body.

The circumstances surrounding his death are subject to an ongoing investigation by British Transport Police, but police can confirm the deceased was not struck by a train.
At this stage the death is being treated as unexplained.

Investigating officers believe the deceased to be that of reported missing person, 42-year-old Mark Speight.

Police have notified next-of-kin of the discovery.

A formal identification is yet to take place but will be confirmed by tomorrow.

The body has been removed from the scene and CCTV from the station has been seized as part of the ongoing investigation.

BTP will be making no further comment at this stage.
http://www.btp.presscentre.com/content/Detail.asp?ReleaseID=1364&NewsAreaID=2

kestrel

blimey was working there this morning!

Great shame but you play with drugs its like playing with fire and this is the result! RIP

Coxster

Established Member
R.I.P

Something I don't quite understand, on ITV news it said he was found "Further Down the Bakerloo Line" - So doe's that potentially mean he was down the tunnel ?
The Bakerloo line is closed this weekend North of Paddington for engineering works so I guess he could potentially have accessed the tunnels, but I'd have thought ITV would actually have meant 'Further down the Bakerloo line from where he was last seen at Queens Park tube station last Monday' or something similar in reference to where he was found at Paddington.

I'd also have thought that if he was found in the Bakerloo line tunnels then it would have had an adverse effect on the Bakerloo line service this morning, with the exception of the power failure at Baker Street at around 7am.

adambro

The further down the Bakerloo Line reference is to do with where he got onto the tube earlier.

gingerheid

Established Member
Sad end for both - I also remember the show well. And another sad warning about the harm drugs can cause if one was needed...

tomsharp

He was a very good artist and a inspiration to young people who wanted to learn about art and being creative. sadly this is what drugs can do.

R.I.P

O L Leigh

Established Member
Why the sympathy...?

If he'd been dabbling in drugs then he's a bloody fool. Grief after losing his fiancee is a slightly different matter, but even then I can't get up the sympathy that others have expressed. It strikes me that he had at least some part to play in the drugs binge that killed his fiancee, and I believe that investigations will show that he took his own life in remorse. In which case he is the author of his own misfortune.

I'm too old to judge the man's talent, but that alone does not excuse his actions.

O L Leigh

Metroland

Established Member
No sympathy from me either. He was involved in an activity that fuels crime and often corrupts naive, often young people; ruining their lives. And he paid the price, sadly for his friends and family.

P156KWJ

Established Member
you are thinking quite shallowly there really, because the situation may have been to do with something private. I do not support the sale of illegal drugs (especially stuff like crack and brown) but tbh, even though it's illegal, so is doing 71mph on a motorway, which I'm pretty sure you've gone way over before, those who drive.

delt1c

Established Member
The needless loss of any life is sad. Once depresion sets in it is one of the strongest emotions and the most difficult to fight.
What concerns me here is that a well repected Childrens TV presenter who through drugs it would appear has taken his own life, surely the TV companies should be checking on the suitability of their presenters to children as they are role models.
My sympathy is with his family and friends.
Very sad end to a tragic chain of events,
This should be used as an example to show the serious effect of drugs not only on the individual but also on sourounding friends and family.

As to the comment of doing 71mph on the motorway it cant be compared to the horrors of drugs. and it certainly doesnt justify the use of drugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.