• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Boeing launches 747-8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angus

This message was sent out to Boeing employees earlier today by Alan Mulally, Boeing Commercial CEO:

Long live the Queen of the Skies

It’s official! We have launched the 747 Advanced as the 747-8!

With orders for up to 34 747-8s announced today by two of the world’s leading cargo carriers, Cargolux of Luxembourg and NCA – Nippon Cargo Airlines – of Japan, the Queen of the Skies continues its remarkable run as the world’s most recognized and popular airplane icon. And it solidifies our product strategy for offering the safest, most capable and efficient airplanes between 100 and 450 seats – the 737, 787, 777 and now, the 747-8.

This is wonderful news for the 747 program, our customers, the world’s airline passengers, and everyone here at Boeing. The 747-8 family, which includes the 747-8 Intercontinental passenger airplane and the 747-8 Freighter, is quieter, more efficient, more environmentally friendly, offers lower trip costs and lower seat mile costs. It is the natural successor to the 747-400, which has built an unmatched record of success with customers around the world.

The key to the advances in the 747-8 are the technologies of the 787. From engines to aerodynamics and more, we are using 787 technologies to bring to life these two new members of the proud and valuable 747 family. That’s why we chose the designation 747-8 – to show the technology and innovation connection to our 787 Dreamliner.

We are thrilled to have Cargolux and NCA choose the 747-8 and become our launch customers. These two great carriers have been a tremendous part of the success of the 747 program. We look forward to continuing our partnerships with them on the next great 747 airplane. Today’s launch order, which includes 18 firm orders plus options for 16 more airplanes, is worth approximately $5 billion at list prices

We are able to move forward today with a new 747 thanks to the talent, dedication and creativity of the men and women of Boeing. It is because of you that we will continue to offer the world’s best large passenger airplane and the most capable freighter airplane ever built. Through some very difficult times, we stayed focused on our strategy, performed to our plan, and kept investing in the future. The 747-8 is the shape of the future for large airplanes, and today is a day to celebrate!

Congratulations and thank you!

And long live the queen of the skies!

Alan

http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/2005/q4/nr_051114h.html

051114h3.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Guinness

Established Member
Nice Wing but I think Boeing will opt for another design. I just can't see that on a 747. Still its Boeings only rival for A380.....

Jordy

Established Member
Wow! That look nice!!! The wing design is very different - but futeristic!

Jordy

Angus

Chaz said:
Nice Wing but I think Boeing will opt for another design. I just can't see that on a 747. Still its Boeings only rival for A380.....

It's not really a rival to the A380 - it's aimed at a different market. I think both Boeing and Airbus agree that there's not room for two major designs in the A380's market.

Not a new wing chaps, just redesigned tips. They've got this new raked wingtip thing going on - 777-300ER style. The majority of the wing remains unchanged.

In my opinion this is a feeble attempt by Boeing to eat in to the A380s market. Whilst they do not compete with each other, before the A380s market stemmed size wise from anything larger than a 747-400. Now it's anything larger than a 747-800, all of sudden airlines have a choice over a larger than 747-400 product, but only up to 747-800 size. Never the less, you get my point.

I hate the way Boeing seems to think a few extra fuselage frames, a new cockpit, updated engines and a few other little changes constitutes a new aircraft - it dosen't. Just look at the 737NG, think of this as the 747NG, a reconstitued 747 with a bit of a strech or as a 747 with botox and stilettos. At the end of the day the 747 is a 60s design with 60s limitations - however the Americans will still buy it because it's American, and they'll buy USA if they can most of the time. What is interesting to note is that all orders are for freighter versions, not a single order for a passenger carrying variant. This aircraft has been launched purely on cargo orders and I'm doubtful as to wherever it will get that many passenger ones.

Bighat

ckyliu said:
Not a new wing chaps, just redesigned tips. They've got this new raked wingtip thing going on - 777-300ER style. The majority of the wing remains unchanged.

In my opinion this is a feeble attempt by Boeing to eat in to the A380s market. Whilst they do not compete with each other, before the A380s market stemmed size wise from anything larger than a 747-400. Now it's anything larger than a 747-800, all of sudden airlines have a choice over a larger than 747-400 product, but only up to 747-800 size. Never the less, you get my point.

I hate the way Boeing seems to think a few extra fuselage frames, a new cockpit, updated engines and a few other little changes constitutes a new aircraft - it dosen't. Just look at the 737NG, think of this as the 747NG, a reconstitued 747 with a bit of a strech or as a 747 with botox and stilettos. At the end of the day the 747 is a 60s design with 60s limitations - however the Americans will still buy it because it's American, and they'll buy USA if they can most of the time. What is interesting to note is that all orders are for freighter versions, not a single order for a passenger carrying variant. This aircraft has been launched purely on cargo orders and I'm doubtful as to wherever it will get that many passenger ones.

Yes, but the really important thing to remember is that Boeing can get away with developing this aircraft as an 'update' to the original 747 AOC(Air Operators Certificate). Conversely, Airbus Industrie have had to design, develop and produce the aircraft, THEN go through the long and arduous procedure of getting the aircraft certified for operation BEFORE they can sell a single airframe.

THAT is mega expensive. No wonder Boeing have decided to modify an existing, proven and CERTIFIED design!

Bighat said:
Yes, but the really important thing to remember is that Boeing can get away with developing this aircraft as an 'update' to the original 747 AOC(Air Operators Certificate). Conversely, Airbus Industrie have had to design, develop and produce the aircraft, THEN go through the long and arduous procedure of getting the aircraft certified for operation BEFORE they can sell a single airframe.

THAT is mega expensive. No wonder Boeing have decided to modify an existing, proven and CERTIFIED design!

Yes, in other words it's cutting corners - it dosen't detract from what I say, it's still a cheap feeble attempt by Boeing to get it's teeth in to the bottom end of the A380 market - a 747 with plastic surgery (the result maybe similar to Micheal Jacksons as well).

Anyways even if it just an upgrade to the AOC it still needs to be certified. It still gonna have to do a rigerous test program, look at the 777-300 compared to the 777-200, that went through hell and back, as all aircraft do in testing. The 747-800 has new engines, a significant stretch and will probably have many upgraded/new system, so it will still have quite a through certification.

Yes it's far cheaper to do what Boeing did but you also get a far less capable aircraft. Reason Boeing won't develop a new type for the size is that it would never break even on the development costs, as previously said that market is big enough for only one company really.

Status
Not open for further replies.