• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BoJ on-route to Edinburgh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kar3emosman

My work colleague and I shall be traveling up-to Edinburgh tomorrow on the 07.00am from Kings Cross. We both have been given standard class open return tickets.

Would these tickets allow us to have a BoJ at York and Newcastle or is it limited to one station?

Also, are there any particular carriages in Standard and First which have are not reserved?

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
All first class coaches are reservable (but it's very unusual to not be able to find a bay of four with no reservations in it), in standard class in the IC225s (the electric trains) Coach H (the buffet coach) is unreservable. I'm not sure whether is an unreservable coach on HSTs and I think they might actually operate with a system of having a number of seats in each coach being unreservable.

As for the break of journey assuming that you've been given Anytime Returns then yes you can break your journey as much as you like (and overnight multiple times if you like) on both the outward and return legs. The only restriction is that you don't travel beyond the validity of the ticket (for example the return portion is only valid for a month).

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
"Open Return" tickets don't exist any more - some people use "open" to refer to Anytime tickets, and others to refer to any flexible ticket.

As an Off Peak return would not be valid on the 0700 departure, I take it you have Anytime Return tickets. In this case BoJ is permitted - Anytime tickets always permit BoJ on outbound and return portions, for the duration of the ticket's validity (five days out, one month return).

edit: too slow!

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
for the duration of the ticket's validity (two days out, one month return

When did that change? The last time I held an Anytime Return (which was quite a while ago now as their normally too expensive for my wallet) it was valid for five days out!

Gotta remember that for next time!

Yup it's a useful thing. For example you'd be perfectly permitted on the return (that's valid for a month) to travel from Edinburgh to Newcastle, stay there for a week then travel onto York, stay for another week then onto Peterborough and stay there for week before finally returning to Kings Cross. Or if you wanted to be a bit different you could travel outwards on the ECML with East Coast and then on the return use Virgin/TPE/Northern/EC to travel back to London via Carlisle and the S&C to Leeds and then onto Kings Cross (or even St Pancras with EMT). All on the same ticket. Anytime Returns are very expensive but the amount of flexibility they give you is immense.

Last edited:

cuccir

Established Member
On East Coast there are usually fewer reserved seats in the Quiet Coach (Coach B) than in other coaches.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
When did that change? The last time I held an Anytime Return (which was quite a while ago now as their normally too expensive for my wallet) it was valid for five days out!

That's what I said!... :oops:

Anytime Singles are of course valid for two days.

Also, 2000th post!

Status
Not open for further replies.