• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bologna recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex397

Established Member
Hi folks,

Will be heading to Bologna next week which i'm looking forward to. Haven't really seen much of Italy before. Bologna looks well placed for trips to other cities - we will probably just head to one though as want to make the most of Bologna.

We are thinking of Venice - its somewhere i've always seen, and might not be too unbearably busy in February (although i've read its packed all year). I've also read its worth booking the train ticket in advance - is that true? I've only ever booked international journeys in advance before, and never felt the need for local trips in Europe before.
Also, is it worth going to a different city rather than Venice?

With Bologna, are there any decent bus routes to try out? I know there are trolleybus routes, which I will probably head to.

Also, any interesting transport infrastructure to look out for? Transport museums?
And perhaps some local rail journeys which are recommended. Also, good places to see old rolling stock?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SHD

First of all, Bologna in itself is a highly interesting city (it is notably home to the oldest university in the Western world). And is very well located to explore Venezia/Venice or Firenze/Florence. Pick your choice, both are fantastic cities, which have been beacons of civilisation at various times in the past.

Venice is packed all year round. Mind you, February is Carnival time, which means that you could face even bigger crowds. I am deeply in love with Venice and will happily provide further recommendations. And not many cities in the world offer a complete network of public boat transportation!

Between Bologna and Florence lay the Appenines. Three railway lines - one from the 19th century (the Porrettana), one built in 1934 (the Direttissima), and one built in 2009 (an HSL) - cross the mountains. The landscape enjoyment factor grows higher with the age of the line you travel on! Of course journey times also follow the same pattern...

Italian high-speed trains, whether operated by Trenitalia or Italo, are mandatory reservation trains. Advance fares can be very cheap.

Last edited:

Craig2601

The Regionale trains can’t sell out - and have always easily found a seat even travelling at peak travel times. These seem to have refurbished coaches with A/C (although could vary) and are comfortable enough. Could also suggest a trip to Riccione near Rimini for one of the longest beaches in Europe or trip to the lakes at Peschiera Del Garda. Both are accessible in 2 hours or less (or faster with the Freccia/Italo/Intercity) for €10 if booked in advance in 1st class for the Frecciabianca.

Status
Not open for further replies.