• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bolton abbey embsay railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying Claret

Hello. Just wondering if anyone has travelled on this railways 'curry specials.' We're booked on in a couple of week. With the line only being 4 miles long I'm just trying to work out what the train does for the length of the evening. I'm guessing it travels back and forth a few times..? I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on these events.
Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
Yes, you will gently shuttle backwards and forwards during the evening. A pleasant little line with friendly volunteers.

alexl92

Established Member
Haven't been up to Embsay since I was a kid. It's on my list; really must get back up there.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
All being well, I am going on that line later in the year, not done that one so far. Looking forward to it. I do hear mention sometimes that it may be extended back into Skipton Station. Is that likely / possible ?

alexl92

Established Member
All being well, I am going on that line later in the year, not done that one so far. Looking forward to it. I do hear mention sometimes that it may be extended back into Skipton Station. Is that likely / possible ?

Extending into Skipton and towards Addingham are both long-term aims for the railway but at present they're focusing on consolidating what they have got, because the cost of doing either would be substantial.

To get back into Skipton, they'd have to replace a section of missing track, but then also rebuild platforms 5 & 6 at Skipton as these two have been out of since the 1960s.

Have a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embsay_and_Bolton_Abbey_Steam_Railway for a bit of extra info.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Extending into Skipton and towards Addingham are both long-term aims for the railway but at present they're focusing on consolidating what they have got, because the cost of doing either would be substantial.

To get back into Skipton, they'd have to replace a section of missing track, but then also rebuild platforms 5 & 6 at Skipton as these two have been out of since the 1960s.

Have a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embsay_and_Bolton_Abbey_Steam_Railway for a bit of extra info.

Thanks for that info / update. It would be good if they could get into Skipton, I did not know they were thinking of going the other way too at some time in the future.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Getting to Skipton would really change the feel of the railway - at present it is quite a small railway and people have to drive to the stations specifically to ride on it. Access to Skipton will bring a much bigger market both of Skipton tourists and people travelling up by train.

I hope they do get it built one day, but they have been talking about it for many years and I can't see it happening any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.