• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bolton > Carlisle WCML; Carlisle > Bolton via Cumbria Coast; search engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howardh

Established Member
Thinking of a big day out, and my itinary would be to travel fast to Carlisle and then take the Cumbria coastal train back.
Won't do any better than £15 Northern 55+ explorer + £8 advance* Avanti PRE - Carlisle add-on.
*With railcard - Can be as cheaper too on some services
Point is I'm finding it difficult to put that journey into a search engine - out via Penrith, back via Whitehaven/Ulverston in case I want to do something similar but there isn't an all-day ticket available. Spit Ticketing doesn't help either, unless I'm doing it wrong!
Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GRALISTAIR

Established Member

Howardh

Established Member
There is actually a Day Ranger at £21.65 - does that suit?
https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/pr5128b90a04000401af06c431e96878.aspx

If you just want times, just plan the two legs separately? The NRE planner will give you non-Permitted Routes which might be the issue, others won't?
Thanks, I'll have a look at that ranger; also thanks for the NRE idea, I'll have to take a closer look at that; now I'm retired I'll be wanting to do lots of odd/unusual routes and will need to compare rovers/rangers with A - B via C and back via D.

Edit 1 - that Ranger is from Lancaster so misses out a chunk that the N55+ covers; but probably ideal for anyone oing similar under 55yrs.

Edit 2 - on the NRE site I'm struggling to make it understand what I'm trying to do, out via Penrith, back via Whitehaven - so I would have to make it two separate journeys. I'm only doing this as an example, next time it could be Bolton - Leeds via H/fd, Leeds - Bolton via Skipton, or something similar. (Yes, I appreciate Rovers may be better than that cost, but I want to explore all possibilities)

Last edited:

kieron

Established Member
On trainsplit, clicking on "advanced options" gives you a tickbox which would let you force it to use a different route in each direction.

You'd probably only actually need to do this sort of thing if you needed to book an advance ticket in one direction, and an online only ticket in the other direction, but the advance ticket didn't cover the route you need. For instance, going from Bolton-Kilmarnock with an advance ticket via Glasgow, but you want a "via Dumfries" ticket on your return. This is a pretty unusual situation, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.