• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bolton - Richmond(North Yorkshire)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BetterFares

Hi,

I need to travel to Richmond(RMK) from Bolton(BON). Is there any split ticket to save some money in this route?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Betterfares

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Hi BetterFares.

Can you tell us what time you're travelling and whether it's a single, day return or returning on different day please.

If you could include this information whenever you make a post, if would speed things up greatly.

Thanks.

Edit: hang on - does Richmond (North Yorks) still have an open railway station? I thought it was clsoed years ago.

BetterFares

I am sorry. I missed the vital info.I need to travel next Monday. Its day return. Need to be there during office hours. I can make peak or off peak travel. I do not mind starting as early as 5 am in Bolton.I need to be there before 2pm.

I am not sure whether the station is closed or not( Its a business trip. So I have no idea/info about the station details). If possible ,could you please let me know any nearest station, if it is closed?

Many thanks for the help.

Kind regards,
BetterFares

BetterFares

It looks like from the above 2 posts, Richmond station is closed. If Darlington is nearby, please provide split ticket details from Bolton - Darlington? Date and time remains as above (details given by me)

Many many thanks for the help.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
You need either a bus or taxi to/from Darlo or a taxi journey to/from Northallerton . Unless you invent a time machine and travel to March 1969! If it were me i would go for the taxi option. The bus will take a long time.

The bus will be service 27/X27. It may still run via Catterick Garrison first which adds a bit onto the journey. The timetable is here:

http://www.arrivabus.co.uk/serviceInformation.aspx?id=5670

Northallerton - Richmond bus detials are here:
http://www.northyorkstravel.info/timetable/YNAO055.pdf
http://www.northyorkstravel.info/timetable/YNAO055.pdf

Richmond station is now a community arts venue, cinema, home of very nice micro brewery, some "artisan" food producers and a very nice a restaurant and café-bar. Well worth a look.

Shame it is only a day return. Richmond is in one of the most beautiful areas of the country.

BetterFares

Very helpful post to know about Richmond. Many thanks for the links. I might get some chance to view the place if I arrive early.

Any split ticket info to Darlington?

Best Regards,
BetterFares

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Any split ticket info to Darlington?

The Off-Peak Return at £50.60 is the best flexible ticket for your journey. It's restriction code 8A which means it's valid by any train, although you can't break your outbound journey.

I don't think you'll get a split for less than this.

34D

Established Member
Thanks for all the details and help.

Very much appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Betterfares

Another option would be train Bolton to Harrogate, then Veolia Transdev Harrogate bus from Harrogate to Ripon (several buses an hour) then I believe there is or was a Dales & District bus from Ripon to Richmond.

A cheaper option could be train Bolton to Bradford, then bus Bradford-Harrogate (hourly, centrebus route 737) then as above.

Can someone clarify the bit beyond Ripon for me please?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Another option would be train Bolton to Harrogate, then Veolia Transdev Harrogate bus from Harrogate to Ripon (several buses an hour) then I believe there is or was a Dales & District bus from Ripon to Richmond.

Harrogate to Ripon every 15 minutes during the day: http://www.harrogatebus.co.uk/?subSiteID=12

A cheaper option could be train Bolton to Bradford, then bus Bradford-Harrogate (hourly, centrebus route 737) then as above.

http://www.wymetro.com/NR/rdonlyres/98F95455-131E-465E-B237-D75880D31EA7/0/737bustimetable.pdf

Can someone clarify the bit beyond Ripon for me please?

See page 24 of http://www.wymetro.com/NR/rdonlyres/23744BD8-34B5-4A85-830D-B5A5313F9A5B/0/DalesBus_bustimetable.pdf for buses from Ripon to Richmond - approx 2 hourly

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I wouldnt bother with the bus from Harrogate-Ripon-Richmond. You might get a nice tour through some wonderful scenery but it will be a PITA and take about 17 years! Getting basck may also be tough

Just stick with the train to Darlo and a taxi from there. You can get a cab of the rank at the station. They will eb well used to this run. As i dont live there any more i wouldnt like to offer advice on a taxi company. I think the one i used has ceased to trade but there were always good offers on the mini cab type. Perhaps someone still local can assit.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP

Bolton to Harrogate would be a much cheaper journey than to Darlington - just £31.30 in the peak.

johnnychips

Established Member
What about Hilton to northallerton?

Yorkshire Traveline suggests most journeys from Northallerton to Richmond should take the train to Darlo anyway.

It can be quite amazing how much one-off journeys cost on buses (a few variants have been suggested) - and I mean that they can be surprisingly cheap or surprisingly dear - so the OP should check with the operator beforehand.

It seems like the OP is travelling alone. He should consider a pre-booked private hire from Darlo to Richmond or the bus. If he were in a party of four, say, a private hire vehicle would probably be cheaper, and door-to-door.

Last edited:

beermaddavep

Practically, there are only two bus routes Northallerton to Richmond, the 54 and the 55. Both are infrequent, with 3 or 4 journeys per day.
The 55 is the quickest at around 40 mins, but departs from the Buck Inn, around 15 minutes walk from the station. The 54 goes past the station but takes over 1 hour meandering around various villages on the way. Both are quite pleasant rides though.

The sensible option I think would be the half hourly Arriva express from outside Darlington station. The 30 minute journey time via the A66M is not that much slower than a taxi (10mins if that) and will be much cheaper, no more than £6.50 for a day pass.

PS Whichever way you go , it will be on Optare Solos!

HTH

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Practically, there are only two bus routes Northallerton to Richmond, the 54 and the 55. Both are infrequent, with 3 or 4 journeys per day.
The 55 is the quickest at around 40 mins, but departs from the Buck Inn, around 15 minutes walk from the station. The 54 goes past the station but takes over 1 hour meandering around various villages on the way. Both are quite pleasant rides though.

The sensible option I think would be the half hourly Arriva express from outside Darlington station. The 30 minute journey time via the A66M is not that much slower than a taxi (10mins if that) and will be much cheaper, no more than £6.50 for a day pass.

PS Whichever way you go , it will be on Optare Solos!

HTH

So, exactly the same options as suggested by Darlorich earlier? The Arriva Express is every 15 minutes.

34D

Established Member
It will take ages from harrogate to Richmond by bus

But that is your opinion. Let's assume train Bolton-Man Vic then Man vic to yorkshire, and assume the time of both options is the same to Bradford Int.

From there, it is around an hour to Harrogate (either the 737 via the Airport, or changing buses at Otley), 20 mins to Ripon, thence 90 mins to Richmond.

Alternatively, 20 mins BDI-LDS, 30 mins LDS-YRK, another 30 mins YRK-DAR, then a 30 min taxi ride.

For someone for whom cost is more of an issue, the bus is a very feasible alternative.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
but the bus is for peasents! LOL

I assumed the OP was able to reclaim the travel costs as expenses as he said he needed to be there during business hours.

I suggested the quickest and easiest route. If money is an object then the bus offers a cheaper route. Train to Darlo is still better mind :)

BetterFares

I must admit this forum is amazing. You are all kind and very helpful.

I am planning to travel from Bolton to Darlington by train, taxi or bus from Darlington to Richmond.

I came here to know about the split ticketing options for Richmond. Your suggestions helped me to decide the route and gave me an insight of Yorkshire area.

Kind Regards,
BetterFares

Last edited:

34D

Established Member
but the bus is for peasents! LOL

As someone who has worked in the public transport industry as a manager (previously trains, and currently buses) I find your comments very very offensive, demeaning, and a downright smack in the teeth to all those who work hard to provide good quality public transport as a viable alternative to the car.

By all means have your strange views and assumptions, but please do not impose them on others.

johnnychips

Established Member
As someone who has worked in the public transport industry as a manager (previously trains, and currently buses) I find your comments very very offensive, demeaning, and a downright smack in the teeth to all those who work hard to provide good quality public transport as a viable alternative to the car.

By all means have your strange views and assumptions, but please do not impose them on others.

I think DarloRich was being ironic as indicated by the 'LOL', even though he later said he didn't like the bus.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

Didums - Did the nasty internet man say something bad about the bus?:D

So I may have an opinion about something as long as it matches your own?

I dont own a car. I use public transport. I dont like the bus, I prefer the train (or the tube or DLR in London) As this is a RAILWAY forum i assumed we should be advocating the use of the train over the bus. Please forgive me.

I also assumed that the OP was travelling for business and would therefore like to get there as quickly and easily as possible. I also assumed he (she?) could claim back the taxi cost from Darlington to Richmond. You will notice that I gave detials of the local bus services early in the thread. You will also notice that i suggested that if money was an issue then the bus via several changes offered the cheapest option.

It was a joke btw. However there are many people who DO think the bus is for peasents. It is something the bus industry has not been able to counter.

Back on topic there is also one option not considered:

Use of the Wensleydale Railway to Leyburn or Redmire and then a bus or taxi from there to Richmond. (you would need a bus or taxi to Leeming Bar mind!)

That would not really be cost effective but may offer a fun trip out!

Last edited:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
As this is a RAILWAY forum i assumed we should be advocating the use of the train over the bus. Please forgive me.

I wouldn't automatically assume that. I like travelling by train but I'd advocate whichever form of public transport meets needs.

Between Harrogate and Leeds this seems to be well provided by buses (twice as frequent only slightly slower and cheaper than the train during the day - with a very high chance of geting a seat).

If someone was going to Harrogate from Leeds I'd tell them about both but probably push the bus more - if they were going further by train it might be cheaper or more convenient for them to get the train.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It was a joke btw. However there are many people who DO think the bus is for peasents. It is something the bus industry has not been able to counter.

Generally perhaps the industry hasn't countered that, but there are certain areas where that's not true - notably London (try telling the suits on the 521 that they're peasants...), so showing it can.

Established Member

As someone who works in the bus industry, you should be well aware of the image of bus transport in the general public's eyes (IMO it is incorrect but bus companies need to try harder to advertise their services against car users).

Status
Not open for further replies.