• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bolton to Amersham

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrapy

Established Member
In the advantix machine there are two anytime return fares - Any Permitted and London. The Any Permitted is considerably cheaper than the London fare.

Using the ATOC online routing guide it would seem that London is a valid 'Any Permitted' route as Amersham is part of the London group. However I am not 100% sure that I am using the routing guide correctly.

My preferred outward route would be the quickest - Bolton - Manchester - Euston - Marylebone - Amersham. Is an Any Permitted ticket valid on this? or does it have to be route London?

My second preference for route would be Bolton - Manchester - Banbury - Marylebone to Amersham - again is the ticket valid?

also would the ticket be valid on London Underground between Marylebone and Amersham or only on Chiltern? and is there any route back which allows break of journey in Oxford?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tony_mac

Established Member
hmm, that's interesting.
in NFM03 I only have route Banbury or +London
However, there is one from Manchester to Amersham.

If you just put the journey in online, it only gives you the more expensive ticket - but if you select 'not via London', then you get the cheaper one.
It's obviously supposed to be 'Route Banbury', but it doesn't say so!
amersham1.jpg

John @ home

Established Member
hmm, that's interesting.
in NFM03 I only have route Banbury or +London

Yes, my NFM 03 CD offers routes Banbury, + London and +VWC & Connections. The last option is for Standard Class Advance fares only.

My preferred outward route would be the quickest - Bolton - Manchester - Euston - Marylebone - Amersham. Is an Any Permitted ticket valid on this? or does it have to be route London?

My second preference for route would be Bolton - Manchester - Banbury - Marylebone to Amersham - again is the ticket valid?

Let's look at the permitted routes between Bolton and Amersham Und.
Bolton is a routeing point. The routeing points for Amersham Und are Banbury Group, Greenford Und, London Group and Oxford.

We need to perform a fares check to determine which are appropriate routeing points. From NFM 03, fares are:
Bolton - Amersham Und route Banbury: SVR £63.90, SOR £117, FOR £269.50
Bolton - Amersham Und route + London: SVR £73.40, SOR £281, FOR £422
Bolton - Banbury: SVR £53.30, SOR £98, FOR £214
Bolton - Greenford route Not London: SVR £66.80, SOR £263, FOR £389
Bolton - Greenford route + London: SVR £70.80, SOR £271, FOR £402
Bolton - London Terminals: SVR £66.40, SOR, SOR £263, FOR £395
Bolton - Oxford route Banbury: SVR £65.30, SOR £119, FOR £260

A routeing point is appropriate for the journey if the fare from the origin to the routeing point is the same or lower than the fare for the throughout journey from the origin station to the destination station.

Thus Banbury is an appropriate routeing points for the "Route Banbury" fare. In addition, Oxford is an appropriate routeing point when travelling on a First Class Anytime (FOS or FOR) ticket only. Greenford and London are not appropriate routeing points for a "Route Banbury" fare, so scrapy's first preference is not allowed.

There are a range of Permitted routes from Bolton to Banbury, but south of Banbury we hit a difficulty because the routeing guide says "If one station is a routeing point and the other one is a related station - the permitted route is the shortest route to the routeing point plus the permitted routes between routeing points."

We must take the shortest route from Banbury to Amersham. We must use the distances in the GB Rail Timetable when measuring the route. This gives
Banbury - Amersham via Marylebone 92.25 miles
Banbury - Amersham via Aylesbury 56 miles

Thus a Standard Class Bolton - Amersham route Banbury ticket is only valid via Aylesbury, not via Marylebone.

To use the Bolton - Amersham via Marylebone route at a reasonable price, a ticket from Bolton to Chorleywood Und may be worth considering. The prices are:
Bolton - Chorleywood Und route Banbury: SVR £70.60, SOR £127, FOR £292

By my calculations, Banbury - Chorleywood via Marylebone is a fraction of a mile shorter than via Aylesbury. Chorleywood - Amersham singles at £3.20 should be purchased (probably cheaper on Oyster). The train needs to stop at Chorleywood but from Amersham it seems only the 0552 doesn't.

would the ticket be valid on London Underground between Marylebone and Amersham

Yes

is there any route back which allows break of journey in Oxford?

Only with a First Class Anytime ticket. Even then, I think you may have to return via Bicester then Oxford then Banbury.

John

scrapy

Established Member
My apologies I was looking at fares from both Manchester and Bolton. The fare from Bolton clearly states Route Banbury as the cheaper option, however the fare from Man Picc has either Any Permitted or Via London. So the same question applies would a fare from Man Picc - Amersham (or Chorleywood) be valid via Euston as Any Permitted?? I would guess it to possibly be the shortest route - to Chorleywood???

Status
Not open for further replies.