• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bolton Trinity Street, latest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howardh

Established Member
OK, there's a hole in the roof, I think the toilets (at least one block) have been closed, there is still the cold and draughty goods shed waiting room on 1/3....but I have heard locally that there are changes to be made on 1/3 to benefit passengers such as a proper waiting room?

Not been down for a while so can anyone fill me in on the details (if there are any) and as Northern "own" the station, why should they be bothered as their franchise might just disappear?

Adds; I reckon Bolton is almost the worst main-line station, for lack of facilities on the platforms Southport takes the prize. But with Bolton so much potential and so little development. Even the "coming retail space" on the top floor hasn't arrived? Also if Gregg's on the bus station can open beyond 8 and still serve a hot sausage roll...why not the station cafe??

Rant over....any news??

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trackman

Established Member
The roof sections were removed during a improvements inspection and found to be unsafe, they will replaced soon.
New toilets, waiting rooms and customer help points. Puzzled about the latter as the dispatchers offices doubles as a customer help point.

The roof was totally renovating around 1997 as part as £3M renovation project, this was done by Railtrack.
They also renovated the booking hall, the travel centre and a newspaper kiosk disappeared, but they said 'new units coming soon..', well we are still waiting.
I'm surprised the newspaper kiosk didn't make a come back as it did a roaring trade.
They also did the canopy on P4 near the stairs too, they were going move the stop boards for 2 and 4 car trains so people wouldn't have far to walk and wouldn't get wet.
- that plan wasn't thought through and of course never happened.

Howardh

Established Member
The roof sections were removed during a improvements inspection and found to be unsafe, they will replaced soon.
New toilets, waiting rooms and customer help points. Puzzled about the latter as the dispatchers offices doubles as a customer help point.

The roof was totally renovating around 1997 as part as £3M renovation project, this was done by Railtrack.
They also renovated the booking hall, the travel centre and a newspaper kiosk disappeared, but they said 'new units coming soon..', well we are still waiting.
I'm surprised the newspaper kiosk didn't make a come back as it did a roaring trade.
They also did the canopy on P4 near the stairs too, they were going move the stop boards for 2 and 4 car trains so people wouldn't have far to walk and wouldn't get wet.
- that plan wasn't thought through and of course never happened.
Thanks, it's time the trains on 4 stopped closer to the steps, I bet I'm not he only one frustrated by that. Could save me thirty seconds chasing for the last bus!

td97

Established Member
There is a (covered) sign for a water refill station
New refurbished toilets
New waiting room on P3 to replace the awful draughty room currently provided.
New retail opportunities have been advertised for 1 year+ on P4 so maybe something will come of this.

Howardh

Established Member
There is a (covered) sign for a water refill station
New refurbished toilets
New waiting room on P3 to replace the awful draughty room currently provided.
New retail opportunities have been advertised for 1 year+ on P4 so maybe something will come of this.
Good!!

Howardh

Established Member
That's excellent news! the negative is they might miss out on trade by not being on platform 1/3 as that's where most congregate before getting the train for a night out in Manchester, but on the other hand if well publicised it will be a valuable part of the re-generation there which (for those who know the area) now has two pubs opposite including the new "Piggys" and the Sweet Green just across the road. Hopefully there will be free platform tickets to get you through the barriers - dunno how that would operate but could the ticket be stamped to prove you have visited the pub??
What happens at Preston if it's gated and someone just wants a pint from the pub on the platform?
EDIT used Trinny St recently and can see work being done and mew signs to the new waiting room!!

Muenchener

Indeed! Bolton for a sharpener then to Stalybridge. My kind of fun -beer and railways.
... and if they get a range of pies, as can be procured at Stalybridge, it may become a destination in it's self. It avoids the need to go thru Manchester, with a change of trains, and gets you home quicker! What's not to like?

Howardh

Established Member
... and if they get a range of pies, as can be procured at Stalybridge, it may become a destination in it's self. It avoids the need to go thru Manchester, with a change of trains, and gets you home quicker! What's not to like?
Bolton (pint)
Victoria (pint)
Stalybridge (pint)
Huddersfield (pint in each bar)
Stalybridge (pint)
Victoria (coffee*)
Bolton (pint)
...sounds like a plan.

*Optional.

njlawley

If it is Bolton, it would probably be pasties, as Carr's bakery is a five minute drive from the station (and their pasties are the bees knees!)

Trackman

Established Member
Where is it going to go?
I've not been for ages but there was a spacious community room on P5.

Howardh

Established Member
Where is it going to go?
I've not been for ages but there was a spacious community room on P5.
I was on p5 yesterday and that community room appears to be a cold dusty room with a few art works in, and a closed off meeting room.
Ripe for development but it's at the wrong end of the wrong platform imo.

lancastrian

From where I work I can see the upper section of the buildings on Platforms 4 & 5. There is a lot of scaffolding to be seen above Platform 5. I presume that they are going to renew the roof and upper level of the building. Can anyone confirm this?

skh93

I'm lead to believe that the upstairs rooms will be controlled by the University who could possibly open them up to community groups upon completion of the roof and rooms. However, this could take another 6 months or so.
The bar is at the top end of platform 5, the current art room I believe will stay, as will the locked community room, which holds meetings and other groups such as Bolton Model Railway Society.
The toilets and waiting room are out of use because of structural issues with the floor.

lancastrian

Thanks that is all very interesting. As I used to work at Trinity Street in the 1970's on the Parcels side. The Canteen and Offices where on the top floor as well as the toilets. Us clerks had to use a room on the ground floor. As long as they are used and can be used well, that is all I care about. It was sad to see the windows of the second floor broken, and as time as gone on more of them had been broken. You could see this as you came down the end of Crook Street, past the old Trinity Church. They must have been thrown from Montcrieff Street over the wall, quite dangerous now that Platform 5 has been reopened and in use regularly.

martinr1

I too am a former Bolton Parcels man in the 1970's and pleased to see the restoration and renovations. Happy memories of our 100 ladies!

martinr1

Bolton's Rail Express Parcels Service was an intensive operation to receive mail order parcels from the various mill in the area, sort and load them for dispatch around the country. They were unloaded from some 70 National Carriers vehicles and pass along conveyor belts to be "coded" for their destinations. They were then loaded into BRUTEs ( British Rail Universal Trolley Equipment) and stowed into parcels vans. The reverse took place with incoming parcels for NCL to distribute to a large area of Lancashire. The delight for a young man was these were nearly all female and a delight to work with! The then District Operating Superintendent took quite a shine to them and a visit was organised to the Division Manager's Annual Diner and Dance in Manchester where they wowed the staid gathering with their glamour in party mode.

lancastrian

So true. The are that was covered was from the Trough of Bowland in the North down to Warrington in the South. And all places in between. We also had a lot of laughs, I remember the time a worker came into work drunk. He was so drunk, that we placed him in a Parcels Van destination Inverness. Great laugh, but he didn't think so. Also played football on the platform while waiting for more work. I was one of the Clerks working in the 'pen' where each area was sorted, listed and got ready for delivery. I spent a lot of time on Parcels, including at the various MIlls, but I was the Area Relief Clerk, so at other times I worked in the Booking Office, the Enquiry Office, TOPS Office, Halliwell Good Depot and even sometime Train announcing from a small room at the Manchester end of Platform 1.

Howardh

Established Member
Okay...had a nosey round platforms 4 and 5 last week and note the toilets and waiting room are (a) fully open and (b) much nicer than they were before, the seats are more comfy and not as harsh as the metal-only ones. Also the waiting room had some heating, very welcome (although I've no idea where the heat comes from!).

Still waiting for them to open on 1/3, hope they are as nice as on 4/5.

However the room at the end of 4/5 was totally empty but with half the floor painted. *waits in anticipation...*

Status
Not open for further replies.