• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bomb Proof Train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wath Yard

According to the BBC Newcastle University have developed a 'bomb proof' train:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-21159423

Researchers test 'bomb-proof' train

Newcastle University engineers have been developing ways to make train carriages blast-resilient.

Methods include plastic-coated windows, energy-absorbing materials and tying down heavy objects and ceiling panels.

Lead researcher Conor O'Neill said the tests showed the development could significantly reduce the number of fatalities in the event of another terrorist attack such as that in London in 2005.
I'm no expert on these things, and look forward to being corrected by people with more knowledge, but my understanding is that if the force of the explosion is kept in a confined area then people are more likely to be killed or injured, therefore isn't it advantageous for the train to be blown apart (as now), rather than keep the forces inside (as per the 'bomb proof' train)?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Apparently the design has windows which are designed to blow out which should help prevent a dangerous overpressure being concentrated in the train.

It seems to be based more around the principle of reducing shrapnel injuries and permitting emergency services to have rapid access to the casualties.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I get the impression it's a similar principle to the way explosive research labs and munitions factories are constructed- contain most of the damage/casualties within a single carriage.

However, I take issue with the idea- on 7/7, were any of the casulaties in carriages other than the ones in which bombs were detonated? There were a lot of survivors in thos carriages- I'd fear on a packed train this concept might actually make things worse. If the train's moving at speed it won't prevent derailment. Other than perhaps reducing damage to infrastructure how exactly does this really help?

tsr

Established Member
I get the impression it's a similar principle to the way explosive research labs and munitions factories are constructed- contain most of the damage/casualties within a single carriage.

However, I take issue with the idea- on 7/7, were any of the casulaties in carriages other than the ones in which bombs were detonated? There were a lot of survivors in thos carriages- I'd fear on a packed train this concept might actually make things worse. If the train's moving at speed it won't prevent derailment. Other than perhaps reducing damage to infrastructure how exactly does this really help?

The windows are designed to be released in such a way that if the explosives are detonated whilst the train is in a station platform, bystanders should not be critically injured - or so I understand! This can only be a good thing, as there are often more people on a platform than on a train, or at least an equal number.

Wath Yard

Reducing the possibility of bystanders being injured can't 'only be a good thing' if it increases the likelihood of those on board being killed or seriously injured. The % of the rail network that is a station is very small.

Keeping the force of the blast inside a vehicle designed to carry explosives can only be a good thing but that isn't the primary function of a passenger carriage.

tsr

Established Member
Reducing the possibility of bystanders being injured can't 'only be a good thing' if it increases the likelihood of those on board being killed or seriously injured. The % of the rail network that is a station is very small.

Keeping the force of the blast inside a vehicle designed to carry explosives can only be a good thing but that isn't the primary function of a passenger carriage.

As I understand it, terrorists are probably more likely to target crowded trains. Given crowded trains are often ones in urban areas, where stations and infrastructure are more likely to be close to the train, the logic of designing a train not to injure bystanders is perhaps clearer. For trams, which often run through urban areas in close proximity to pedestrians and other vehicles, the decision is perhaps even more understandable.

jon0844

Veteran Member
No terrorist would bomb a Pacer as we'd thank them.

I think the terrorists have now worked out a way of causing massive disruption and terror without using bombs anyway. All they need are snow machines pointed at airport runways, railway lines and roads.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I presume that I'm not the only one that has watched the video in the link posted in the original post, and immediately the inevitable quote has come to mind: "You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" ;):lol:

sbt

From reading around, that's not what the aim is. Unfortunately the video is pretty poor at explaining what is being proposed.

With respect to the windows this is a film that reduces fragmentation of the glass. The same amount of energy still goes through but you don't get the lethal shards that would be produced without it.

Inside the carriage the effect of the blast is reduced by using panels that absorb explosive shocks rather than reflecting them. Also lethal fragments within the carriage are reduced by tethering various components - this is the primary reason for using the tethers, not keeping gangways clear etc.

Keeping gangways clear is, however, important. Access for evacuation and/or treatment can mean the difference between severe injury and death.

Status
Not open for further replies.