• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bombardier Depot - Ashford

Status
Not open for further replies.

kizzyboi

Hi Guys,
Ashford's Bombardier Depot was until last year doing the overhauls of the London Overground Class 378's.
Is the Depot still operational or not because Ashford has had Until now a great rail heritage and it would be a shame for that depot to close.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member
Are you sure about Ashford doing any work on the 378s?

As far as im aware, as Bombardier seems to have run down most of their UK Operations, i don't think Ashford is open / operational anymore. They certainly from memory, havent sent anything down there for a while now, with the SWT 455 work now being done at either Ilford or by SWT in house down in Bournemouth depot.

kizzyboi

Yeah they were the 378's because i would watch them come out the Yard into AFK and back towards london.
Also it was doing work on the Gatwick Express trains.

MCR247

Established Member
There was pictures of 378s coming to and from Ashord so it did happen

A picture of a /2 seems to stick in my head iirc

Class377/5

Established Member
There was no overhauls as the units were brand new. They where sent there either during testing or some small fault rectifying during the commissioning stages.

fgwrich

Established Member
Ah, just as youve said Class 377/5, ive just found this on the index of District Daves website:

I'm just wondering why when I'm entering Ashford I always see Overground stock stabled in Ashford sidings?

Isn't that a bit far?

This is new class 378 stock undergoing commissioning. The stock is delivered to Ashford for DC commissioning and mileage accumulation (each unit has to have a certain amount of fault free miles before being accepted) before heading to London for the final AC commissioning.

(And this was from 2010)

As for Ashford works themselves, surley this has got to be pretty much the only work they have carried out in the past few years though? Since the majority of the SWT 455 work has been completed, they seem to be in a run down of the place, with the shunting 4VOPs being sold, 455s and other units now going to Ilford and Bournemouth?

TheJRB

Established Member
The only thing I've seen Chart Leacon used for since the selling of the 4-VOPs has been stabling for Southeastern 375s.

ert47

I've read somewhere that Southerns' 455s will be getting another update sometime soon (livery "update" and new/more stanchions), would this be taking place in Bournemouth?

kizzyboi

BBC News report from 2010

A rail maintenance depot in Kent is axing 155 jobs after announcing it is to transfer work to its depot in Essex.

Bombardier, which owns the site at Chart Leacon, Ashford, said 10 workers would be left after the move to Ilford.

The company said the measures were necessary to ensure it remained "a competitive and sustainable force in the maintenance market".

Paul Cox, Kent organiser for the RMT union, said a "highly skilled and dedicated workforce" would be lost.

He said the workers were devastated as they saw "the railway business disappearing from Ashford and they are concerned that it's gone forever".

Bombardier said it hoped to make the cuts through voluntary redundancies.

It added that the remaining workers at Chart Leacon would maintain the Class 375 Electrostar train units for Southeastern Trains

Jelly

Hi Guys,
Ashford's Bombardier Depot was until last year doing the overhauls of the London Overground Class 378's.
Is the Depot still operational or not because Ashford has had Until now a great rail heritage and it would be a shame for that depot to close.

The depot is still open and functioning. 375's are maintained there. 378's are maintained New Cross Gate.

Status
Not open for further replies.