• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bombardier vs Siemens

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I wasn't being eurosckeptical, I wasn't criticising it, necessarily.

I wasnt accusing you of it, but this is where the idea comes from, I think we can thank the Daily Mail and its ilk for it being in the public conciousness.

Oh and government officials caught making these decisions.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
A 390 and an APT look completely different, despite one being a direct evolution of the other :P
Well, the tilt technology on the Class 390s was derived, through a series of different designs, from the APT when BR sold the technology, but I think that that's where the lineage ends: There's not many family connections between the APT and 390 other than that AFAIK. I'd say that they've got a lot more in common with the original ETR 450 Pendolino that Schnellzug has highlighted.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Seeing the 375/376/377's next to the 465/466 at London Bridge, I cant really see it:s

Without the 168 link, I personally dont think the resemblance would be obvious.
I'm not so sure about the Electrostars, but I think that the resemblance between Network Turbos and Turbostars is clear to see. Especially with the new 172s which have individual windows rather than the continuous ribbon glazing on the other classes.

RobShipway

Established Member
Nope.

This is more nonsense peddled by euroskeptics.
The bid that must be chosen is most economically advantageous, which allows you to take account of manufacturing in your home nation, the primary purpose of the regulations is to give the EU a stick to hit corrupt officials with who take kickbacks if the government in question does nothing.

The fact we can and should take account of manufacturing in our home is what I was implying which does mean to say that Bombardier wind everything just because they currently have a manufacturing site here in the UK, neither shoul dit be Hitachi as they are going to be building a site here in the UK.

As for who would pay for it, well if you look at train fares in this country we are all ready paying through the nose so I would say that the Government should make it easier for companies from overseas to setuo businesses here and I know that they is such a scheme around the West Midlands area to do just that, which is why I think that any procurment should be putting 'Britian First' as the Government has said in the past........;)

Status
Not open for further replies.