• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Booked from Waverley - OK to board at Haymarket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejstubbs

The OH is heading up to Aberdeen tomorrow and has just asked if she can get on the train at Haymarket (HYM) rather than Waverley (EDB). The ticket just says "Edinburgh". I've definitely alighted at HYM in the past with a ticket purchased to EDB, and exited through the barriers no problem. Does the same go entering the station?

My life would not be worth living if I tell her it'll be fine and then, when she gets to HYM, she finds she can't get through the barrier and misses her train!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
That'll be absolutely fine. She will be one of dozens that day, if not hundreds, doing just that.

greyman42

Established Member
You also have Edinburgh Gateway and Edinburgh Park so it could cause issues if passengers were using these stations to start and finish their journeys.

Established Member
You also have Edinburgh Gateway and Edinburgh Park so it could cause issues if passengers were using these stations to start and finish their journeys.
Issue tickets to 'Edinburgh Waverley or Haymarket'
As seen 40ish miles down the track with 'Glasgow Central or Queen Street'

This would also give the industry an excuse to properly roll out the new ticket design!

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Issue tickets to 'Edinburgh Waverley or Haymarket'
As seen 40ish miles down the track with 'Glasgow Central or Queen Street'

This would also give the industry an excuse to properly roll out the new ticket design!

Problem is that Edinburgh is just (officially) 'Edinburgh', not 'Edinburgh Waverley'

route:oxford

Established Member
I still don't understand why they don't introduce an "Edinburgh Stns", but even given that they hadn't this is completely accepted.

That would be a pest.

For example, an off peak STG-EDB return isn't valid for returning from Edinburgh or Haymarket during the evening peak. However, an off-peak STG-EDP return is (according to the national rail website) valid to return from Edinburgh Park.

AndrewE

Established Member
Does the old rule that a reserved seat has to be claimed within 20 mins of departure still apply? If so, joining at Haymarket should be no problem. Unless someone refuses to get out of it of course...

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That would be a pest.

For example, an off peak STG-EDB return isn't valid for returning from Edinburgh or Haymarket during the evening peak. However, an off-peak STG-EDP return is (according to the national rail website) valid to return from Edinburgh Park.

For clarity it would only include Waverley and Haymarket. Calling it "Edinburgh (Waverley) or Haymarket" would do in the newer nomenclature.

mildertduck

You'd probably need to refer to it as Edinburgh Haymarket to prevent people getting confused about it being an extension ticket for use on the Tyne and Wear Metro (I *think* through tickets are still available, but it might well now be only zonal ones...)

IanD

Established Member
Does the old rule that a reserved seat has to be claimed within 20 mins of departure still apply? If so, joining at Haymarket should be no problem. Unless someone refuses to get out of it of course...

I think you mean "old wives' tale" rather than "old rule"!

route:oxford

Established Member
For clarity it would only include Waverley and Haymarket. Calling it "Edinburgh (Waverley) or Haymarket" would do in the newer nomenclature.

No, it wouldn't. You really can't have "Edinburgh Stations", then exclude stations with Edinburgh in the name ie "Edinburgh Gateway" and "Edinburgh Park".

It could well be the reason that it's "Prestwick International Airport" Station rather than "Glasgow Prestwick International Airport Station" (or maybe not).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
No, it wouldn't. You really can't have "Edinburgh Stations", then exclude stations with Edinburgh in the name ie "Edinburgh Gateway" and "Edinburgh Park".

Yes you can. You have Manchester Stations which does not include Manchester Airport.

But that's by the by, it would be "Edinburgh Haymarket or Waverley" now.

Harbouring

Yes you can. You have Manchester Stations which does not include Manchester Airport.

But that's by the by, it would be "Edinburgh Haymarket or Waverley" now.

In that case could you arrive from the east into Waverley and continue to Haymarket on another train or would another ticket be needed? And then vice versa, l. what about break of journeys?

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The problem with the "ZZZ Stations" description is that sometimes people will think that means any station within ZZZ. Was there not a dispute some time ago re "Liverpool Stations"?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
In that case could you arrive from the east into Waverley and continue to Haymarket on another train

Yes, just as you can pass through Manchester Oxford Road en route to Manchester Piccadilly.

what about break of journeys?

I suspect not allowed, but that, in this context, is *such* a niche requirement that it would be no real loss when compared to stopping confusing people with an undocumented local easement.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
You really can't have "Edinburgh Stations", then exclude stations with Edinburgh in the name ie "Edinburgh Gateway" and "Edinburgh Park".

Well if you were in a logical world I might agree with you. But sadly we are in the Railway world.

Do you think London Fields is included in London Terminals? Do you think Potnefract Tanshelf is included in Pontefract Stations? Do you think East Tilbury is included in Tilbury Stations?

Harbouring

Well if you were in a logical world I might agree with you. But sadly we are in the Railway world.

Do you think London Fields is included in London Terminals? Do you think Potnefract Tanshelf is included in Pontefract Stations? Do you think East Tilbury is included in Tilbury Stations?

Or the furtherest one of them all, Portsmouth Arms....

AndrewE

Established Member
(Re Claim a booked seat within 20 mins of departure)
I think you mean "old wives' tale" rather than "old rule"!
That's interesting, I started on the railway at Temple Meads in a passenger job in 1974 with almost no previous railway knowledge, so I must have been told it at some point, but I can't see it in the copy of the conditions of Carriage that I have. Obviously you need some margin to allow for people jumping in the back of the train at the last minute and making their way through to claim their seat. Maybe it's another of those foreign "rules" that were in the Cook's Continental timetable and I've just assumed it applied at home...

Status
Not open for further replies.