• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Booked train but now replacement bus: are dogs allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASharpe

Hi, I wasn't sure where to put this on the forum.

I booked a journey for my sister-in-law to visit with her dog over the bank holiday weekend but had an email from LNER alerting me that some of the trains have been cancelled. Looking into it it seems there are some engineering works and so GA are putting on replacement bus services.

The journey was booked this route as she wanted to avoid London and give the dog some rests stops. I am now a bit concerned that there might be problems taking a dog on a coach.

Anyone know if dogs are likely to be allowed on the buses?

Not sure yet if it now makes more sense to do the journey via London or change plans completely and take them home by car. Any thoughts?

The original journey was:
17:15 - 17:29 Shipley (Yorkshire) to Leeds
17:45 - 19:07 Leeds to Peterborough
19:50 - 21:28 Peterborough to Ipswich
22:23 - 22:49 Ipswich to Marks Tey
23:01 - 23:21 Marks Tey to Sudbury (Suffolk)
Advance Single x 1£28.00
Passengers:
1 Adult£28.00

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
You will have to check with the rail companies concerned and whether or not it is likely they will use a rail replacement coach or a bus. It is often at the driver's discretion and whilst some companies allow dogs, others do not.

Is your sister-in-law's dog a service/working dog - e.g. guide dog for deaf/blind?

ASharpe

I tweeted GA but they also said it was up to the coach driver's discretion. And no it's not a service dog.

We are going to have to look into alternatives I think. I don't think she would want to risk being stranded miles from home.

I get the need for engineering work but I don't know why they can't finalise it before advance tickets go on sale.

tonysk14

The regulations state that you can't take dogs on replacement bus services. BUT I have a medium size German Shepard and have never even been questioned about him. We just get on the bus.

But of course there is always one!

ASharpe

The regulations state that you can't take dogs on replacement bus services. BUT I have a medium size German Shepard and have never even been questioned about him. We just get on the bus.

But of course there is always one!

I've got a german shepherd too and never had a problem taking him on a regular buses and he has been on rail replacement buses with me too. If it was me my my dog I would go for it, but I'm not sure about the sister in law.

ASharpe

Either my wife or father in law are going to drive her home.

Hopefully i'll have no problems getting the ticket refunded.

Status
Not open for further replies.