• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Booking tickets for travel in Ireland/Northern Ireland from UK ticket offices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying Snail

Established Member
Iarnród Éireann does not offer e-tickets at all, only paper tickets and (for certain journeys) smartcard PAYG/season ticket.

Same difference. It costs far more than calling a normal number and the called party receives part of the cost of the call, therefore it is a premium number in common parlance.

There are Irish local phone numbers for booking with Stena, Irish Ferries and Irish Rail as well as online booking only with Irish Ferries (not currently available-covid) and booking in person at the ports and selected rail stations.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

danm14

The Irish schedules do not seem to have been put into the system: https://www.brtimes.com/!board?stn=DHT

Unfortunately it seems that nobody with the power to keep on top of this sort of thing really cares about it. I am really curious about how GB Railways is supposed to improve this sort of thing in order to give a better passenger experience!
While this does happen regularly because nobody can be bothered to keep it up to date, on this occasion I think it's likely intentional.

All rail travel in Ireland (except commuter trains) must be pre-booked online currently. SailRail tickets (both advance and standby) are open as far as the Irish Rail leg is concerned.

In addition, government guidance is that those arriving from off the island of Ireland should not use public transport to travel to the place in which they will complete their mandatory period of quarantine - although it is not illegal to.

mmh

Established Member
Its like Welsh for microwave being Popty Ping

Largely a myth perpetuated by the media. In reality, people say "meicroweif," i.e. microwave in a Welsh accent. Following Welsh pronunciation strictly, "ping" is quite difficult to say and would be closest to something like "peen" in English. Ng in Welsh is a different sound to Ng in English.

mikeg

Established Member
I always thought the correct word was meicrodon, though I only know a few words and phrases

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
All rail travel in Ireland (except commuter trains) must be pre-booked online currently.
Ah yes, very good point. Joining up those systems would obviously be a bit too much effort. Although it's interesting to note that both the British and Irish rail reservations systems are now provided by the same company, Sqills, so joining them up might not be quite as much work as it would first appear.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Ah yes, very good point. Joining up those systems would obviously be a bit too much effort. Although it's interesting to note that both the British and Irish rail reservations systems are now provided by the same company, Sqills, so joining them up might not be quite as much work as it would first appear.
Let’s get it working properly first.

Status
Not open for further replies.