• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Booking tickets online with no train specified

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricoblade

Hi all,

I feel really stupid asking this but I want to book an off peak day return from St Pancras to/from Stratford International in advance for a Sunday without having to specify train times as we need to be flexible.

Using online booking engines, I seem to have to specify train times.

Am I missing something please?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If you book an Off Peak Day Return you can use it at any off-peak time that day regardless of what you specify. But why not simply buy it from the ticket machine on the day?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Just use contactless, no need to buy a paper ticket.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
It wasn't always that way, but you can definitely use Oyster/contactless as far as Stratford now.

I did so recently and it was far more convenient than buying a paper ticket, and slightly cheaper too.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I should’ve mentioned that St Pancras-Stratford International isn’t part of the Zones so the fare doesn’t count towards the daily cap and travelcards aren’t valid but it’s far more convenient to use contactless/Oyster.

The only time I wouldn’t recommend contactless (or potentially Oyster) is if you’re using a railcard or if you need a group save discount. Some railcards (F&F and Network) can’t be loaded onto Oyster.

To answer the OP’s original question a Webtis site (eg GWR, TPE, SWR, Chiltern) will sell an Off Peak Day Return without needing to specify a service. It wouldn’t matter if you did specify a train between St Pancras and Stratford International as reservations aren’t available on HS1. In any case even if you do get a reservation with a flexible ticket you’re not mandated to use it, any train can be used as long as you follow any time restrictions that apply to the ticket.

ricoblade

Thanks for the quick answers, we might need to make a rapid connection across from King's Cross so I wasn't wanting to get the ticket in London. Contactless sounds like a great option.

Chuff - just realised we'll have to pay for our children, unlike the Tube. So am I definitely OK specifying train times to get the ticket but able to use them on any service?

Last edited:

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The HS1 domestic platforms at St Pancras are on the side nearest Kings Cross - simply exit Kings Cross from the exit adjacent to platforms 9-11 and cross the road.

There is a train every 15 minutes, remember that each of you will need a contactless card.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
So am I definitely OK specifying train times to get the ticket but able to use them on any service?

Yes as long as the ticket you buy online doesn’t have the word Advance in its name. If you don’t feel confident about this, another idea is to buy the HS1 tickets from the ticket office where you start your journey prior to getting on the train to Kings Cross. Ticket office staff are able to sell tickets with an origin station that is different to where the ticket office is.

Essan

Aye, although you are asked to specify a service when booking online, any "standard" ticket can be used on any service (subject to usual restrictions, ie no off-peak on a peak service etc) - its only when you book an "Advance" ticket that you must use the specified service.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The only time I wouldn’t recommend contactless (or potentially Oyster) is if you’re using a railcard or if you need a group save discount. Some railcards (F&F and Network) can’t be loaded onto Oyster.

Sorry to hijack this but I have a TOCNE priv discount loaded onto my Oyster so would that work too?

ricoblade

Yes as long as the ticket you buy online doesn’t have the word Advance in its name. If you don’t feel confident about this, another idea is to buy the HS1 tickets from the ticket office where you start your journey prior to getting on the train to Kings Cross. Ticket office staff are able to sell tickets with an origin station that is different to where the ticket office is.

Thanks all, that's what we're going to do (from Donny) and as my wife likes getting everywhere super early, we'll have plenty of time. :D

Haywain

Veteran Member
Sorry to hijack this but I have a TOCNE priv discount loaded onto my Oyster so would that work too?
That's a priv discount purely for London Overground services, isn't it? In which case it wouldn't (or shouldn't) work on HS1. You're almost certainly better off getting a paper ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.