• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Booking tickets with "layover"

Status
Not open for further replies.

errata

Evening all,

I'm trying to book Advance tickets from Edinburgh to Glasgow and onwards to London that include a layover, that is I can travel to Glasgow at say, 1000, then continue the journey to London in the evening, whilst hoping to get seat reservations and take advantage of one cheap Advance fare for the entire journey.

I'm sure I've read on this forum that it's possible to specify a custom layover on RSH; can someone tell me how?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tony_mac

Established Member
you can do it on bahn.de ;)

I didn't think it was possible - if you use the text only version you can extend the change times but it won't make that much difference.

errata

Nice one thanks! I did it that way and managed to get an advance fare £124 cheaper than the flexible one that I had been quoted for on the standard booking screen when travelling on a later connecting service.

errata

I have to walk from GLQ to GLC and have 2h 30 mins to do so after leaving Edinburgh, so this should be enough.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I have to walk from GLQ to GLC and have 2h 30 mins to do so after leaving Edinburgh, so this should be enough.
The walk takes about 10 minutes so you have plenty of time for a bite to eat at GLC.

Officially you cannot make a 'Break of Journey' (BOJ) on this ticket. BOJ is often misunderstood and is arguably open to interpretation.

The definition is as follows
National Rail Conditions of Carriage said:
For the purposes of this Condition and Condition 11, you will be treated as breaking your
journey if you leave a Train Company’s or Rail Service Company’s stations after you start
your journey other than:
(i) to join a train at another station, or
(ii) to stay in overnight accommodation when you cannot reasonably
complete your journey within one day, or
(iii) to follow any instructions given by a member of a Train Company’s staff.
So, exiting Glasgow Queen Street station in order to join a train at Glasgow Central station is not a BOJ (I have highlighted extracts in bold above to illustrate this fact).

Glasgow Central is a large station, which has many facilities, shops and outlets, including Bonapartes where you can have a meal (this may appear small on the map, but in reality only the entrance at ground level is shown and the actual bar is on a higher level overlooking the concourse).

I make no comment on the enforceability of BOJ restrictions in circumstances like this, and make no comment on whether entering the premises of any other non-station outlet between the two stations would constitute a BOJ or not ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.