• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bordeaux - Biarritz, winter timetable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarby

Am looking at getting to Biarritz via a flight to Bordeaux in January (just part of a fairly complicated journey but suffice to say I need to fly into Paris CDG).

I can of course already book flight tickets (a very good connection at CDG, arrive in Bordeaux around 11am), but of course, train tickets are not yet for sale, though this is not a problem as I could just get a walk-up ticket anyway.

The problem is trying to figure out what the actual rail service might be. While it isn't uniform for every day of the week, a typical weekday schedule on SNCF next month is:

Ex-Bordeaux, direct, 07.47, 10.51, 12.51, 13.51, 14.45.

Now I can't see January's trains (I guess the timetable isn't yet finalised), but if I go forward as long as I can, in the system,to November, for example November 2, there appears to be only these direct:

Ex-Bordeaux direct, 07.41 and then no direct service until 14.45.

I wondered if this is right, a 7 hour gap in the service, or if maybe some trains haven't been loaded onto the system yet?

One rough guide, while not bound to be accurate, but would help, would be to find last winter's schedule, but I can't locate it.

It would be a good and quick route, but not if I have to spend 4 hours in Bordeaux in winter with luggage. Otherwise I might as well schlep over to Paris Orly and fly on to Biarritz.

Thanks in advance, especially if anyone knows last winter's timetable.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
http://www.ter.sncf.com/aquitaine/depliant/recherche

The autumn Ligne 61 timetable can be downloaded here, and I imagine things won't change much. Trouble is, rather a lot of trains have note 6, certain days only, please check. But basically the service IS pretty thin.

Would you be better off using the direct CDG-Bordeaux TGV?

scarby

http://www.ter.sncf.com/aquitaine/depliant/recherche

The autumn Ligne 61 timetable can be downloaded here, and I imagine things won't change much. Trouble is, rather a lot of trains have note 6, certain days only, please check. But basically the service IS pretty thin.

Would you be better off using the direct CDG-Bordeaux TGV?

Great stuff, thanks a lot, that's exactly what I needed to find.

Yes, in theory I'd rather take the train right through but on this occasion I want to get there by mid-afternoon.

Groningen

Established Member
I believe the timetables in Europe change in December (normally). If this is still true, than i should wait and not think that everything stays the same. Some nighttrains will disappear.

Veteran Member
I believe the timetables in Europe change in December (normally). If this is still true, than i should wait and not think that everything stays the same. Some nighttrains will disappear.

That is still true. But in this case
- TER services change little unless the Region concerned funds improvements
- TGV services are likely to change significantly when the LGV to Bordeaux opens in Summer 2017, so I'd expect no change in December.

Gordon

I can't see the 'Line 61' timetable changing much into next year. The mid-day TER (currently 12.51 off Bordeaux) looks likely to be the most solid

scarby

Depending on where you are flying from you may be better just flying direct to Biarritz.

Indeed. It might well come down to that. It's just the CDG-ORY transfer and wait that isn't much fun. Did it that way earlier this year.

Thanks.

SWT_USER

Indeed. It might well come down to that. It's just the CDG-ORY transfer and wait that isn't much fun. Did it that way earlier this year.

Thanks.

There are a few CDG to Biarritz flights with Easy Jet or Air France. Alternatively you could do CDG to Pau and get the train from there to Biarritz (there is a bus from Pau airport to the station).

Agree CDG to Orly transfer isn't fun though!

scarby

There are a few CDG to Biarritz flights with Easy Jet or Air France. Alternatively you could do CDG to Pau and get the train from there to Biarritz (there is a bus from Pau airport to the station).

Agree CDG to Orly transfer isn't fun though!

Yes, thanks.

Plenty to ponder - fortunately I have some tine to do so!

Status
Not open for further replies.