• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Coast Motors & Borders Buses

Whiteway215

Established Member
If I may ask a couple of questions.

Are there still any First buses on hire/loan to Border Buses?
Have Border Buses purchased any vehicles from First?

Thanks for any information

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

overthewater

Established Member
Are there still any First buses on hire/loan to Border Buses?

Yes, I believe two E300 are still on loan. ( the other 5 are at Larbart and 7 are doon south at ipswich)

As of tomorrow the last of the school stock will be taken out of action and sent back to First as it's the start of the summer holidays. I believe Borders plans to get some new school vehicles in.

Im sure all the ex First deckers are now gone, so it's possible from Friday onwards it's just two E300. I can't be 100% sure, there still repaiting buses etc.

Have Border Buses purchased any vehicles from First?

No.

Sounds like a consultation where the answer is known already: "they prefer a coach to an ADL E200 and we have a few coaches we can cascade from WCM!"

First tried to put coaches on the X62 and X95 a few years back and the public kicked up a stink. I think its 50/50 on who want the coaches and who wants the buses.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Yes, I believe two E300 are still on loan. ( the other 5 are at Larbart and 7 are doon south at ipswich)

As of tomorrow the last of the school stock will be taken out of action and sent back to First as it's the start of the summer holidays. I believe Borders plans to get some new school vehicles in.

Im sure all the ex First deckers are now gone, so it's possible from Friday onwards it's just two E300. I can't be 100% sure, there still repaiting buses etc.

No

Many thanks for your update.

THarris123

Established Member
So where have all the vehicles gone from Galashiels?
Did all the B9s go to Colchester?
What E300s went to Larbert?
Where did the scanias and the B7TLs go?

overthewater

Established Member
So where have all the vehicles gone from Galashiels?
Did all the B9s go to Colchester?
What E300s went to Larbert?
Where did the scanias and the B7TLs go?

Good Question.

With the E300:
* 67752, 67760, 67763, 67773-67776, went to Ipswich for a park & ride service.
* 67746 and 67779 are still on loan to Borders Buses.
* 67777, 67778, 67780, 67781, 67782 are all now in Larbert.

I believe the scanias and the B7TLs all ended up with FSE other depots to help kill off some of the Citros and the increase PVP needed with the recent service changes.

Some B9 are still in FSE, I think Livingston has those seen then floating about doing route with Border name rubbed out.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Good Question.

With the E300:
* 67752, 67760, 67763, 67773-67776, went to Ipswich for a park & ride service.
* 67746 and 67779 are still on loan to Borders Buses.
* 67777, 67778, 67780, 67781, 67782 are all now in Larbert.

I believe the scanias and the B7TLs all ended up with FSE other depots to help kill off some of the Citros and the increase PVP needed with the recent service changes.

Some B9 are still in FSE, I think Livingston has those seen then floating about doing route with Border name rubbed out.

37141/2 went to FEC

overthewater

Established Member
37141/2 went to FEC

Those B9 were the Livingston for the 27/28 but were shunted out because of the new E400.

So has THarris123 has thrown in "37138/9/40" is it just five B9 that went south? There must be another that might have been sent south?

It should be noted there are School contracts up for grabs in Falkirk arae so we might see other buses being needed OR being freed up. IE non border stuff is being moved on.

I still its strange to see 55 plates doing school work.

THarris123

Established Member

Thanks for that Winston. It was mentioned on Facebook about 37138-42, but can't recall where the rest went.

oldman

First tried to put coaches on the X62 and X95 a few years back and the public kicked up a stink. I think its 50/50 on who want the coaches and who wants the buses.

Granny and her shopping-trolley going to Morrison's won't like coaches, but I think on the X95 they could attract new full-fare passengers wanting to get to Carlisle to catch a train who wouldn't want to spend 90 minutes rattling around in the back of a bus.

DunsBus

Established Member
Granny and her shopping-trolley going to Morrison's won't like coaches, but I think on the X95 they could attract new full-fare passengers wanting to get to Carlisle to catch a train who wouldn't want to spend 90 minutes rattling around in the back of a bus.

I've been hearing that the Metrocitys and E200s on northbound X95 journeys are struggling to climb the hill out of Canonbie with a full load on board. WCM are also aware of this and are looking for auitable vehicles for the route.

DunsBus

Established Member
Vehicles based at St Boswells and at Berwick are now starting to lose their Perryman's vinyls ahead of receiving Borders Buses ones.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I think the difference with coaches this time should they appear is that they will be decent, or at least half decent where as First's efforts wernt and also if drivers and fellow pax are happy to help foalk up and down, put stuff in lockers etc then it will be fine. The Gala Hawic shorts will still be low floor so the Central Borders lot can use them esp if timetables are updated to show which services will be coaches.

Assume these will be X Citylink service vehicles?

overthewater

Established Member
Its not Ex Citylink stock, thats been spotted, but that could change. It's been reported, as above that Perryman buses are starting to be repainted. Hopeful by August it will all be under one name, how will it work? since there cant use tickets on each other companies yet there have been repainted? confusing the customers.

Last edited:

DunsBus

Established Member
Its not Ex Citylink stock, thats been spotted, but that could change. It's been reported, as above that Perryman buses are starting to be repainted. Hopeful by August it will all be under one name, how will it work? since there cant use tickets on each other companies yet there have been repainted? confusing the customers.

The reason for that is down to two different fare scales being used, the one inherited from First for their commercial services and the one set by Scottish Borders Council for their tendered services. Borders Buses' work is commercial while Perryman's is a mix of commercial and tendered. However, I believe this issue is in the process of being resolved.

Galashiels depot are currently assisting on the 60 Galashiels-Berwick via Duns, so this service is seeing a mix of Borders Buses vehicles and what was Perryman's ones just now.

Last edited:

overthewater

Established Member
The reason for that is down to two different fare scales being used, the one inherited from First for their commercial services and the one set by Scottish Borders Council for their tendered services. Borders Buses' work is commercial while Perryman's is a mix of commercial and tendered. However, I believe this issue is in the process of being resolved.

Galashiels depot are currently assisting on the 60 Galashiels-Berwick via Duns, so this service is seeing a mix of Borders Buses vehicles and what was Perryman's ones just now.

I take it the ticket machines have been swapped over?

DunsBus

Established Member
Borders Buses and Perryman's to become one brand, Borders Buses, from 17th July:

https://www.bordersbuses.co.uk/your-bus-service

YOUR BUS SERVICE

WHAT’S HAPPENING WITH MY BUS SERVICE?

From 17 July 2017, Perryman’s Buses and Borders Buses will merge as one brand, Borders Buses. The Perryman’s Buses brand shall be replaced.

WHY THE NAME CHANGE?

By bringing both brands together we can be more efficient and make better use of resources. It also means we can expand the bus network and improve your customer offering.

WILL THE TICKETS BE TRANSFERABLE?

Where there are common sections of routes, tickets will be transferable.

This includes service X95 and 73 (between Galashiels and Selkirk only), service X62 and 60/67/68 (between Galashiels and Melrose only), service 71 and 60/67/68 (between Galashiels and Melrose only). Service 61 and 60 (between Galashiels and Earlston only) and service 67 and 60/67/68 (between Galashiels and Earlston/St. Boswells only and Galashiels and Leaderfoot only).

WILL THE FARE PRICE CHANGE?

To provide best value and for consistency all fares will be the same price on common lines of route. This will result in reduction in some fares in the Galashiels area, where the price will be based on the ex-Perryman’s Buses fares.

WILL THE TICKET TYPES CHANGE?

We are currently working on Borders Buses ticket offering with the aim of introducing a simplified ticket range for customers. We are pleased to announce we will introduce 10 Journey tickets across the network from 17 July 2017.

4 Weekly, Annual and promotional tickets on offer once our new mobile app is launched in early September.

WILL THE TIMETABLES CHANGE?

On 17 July 2017, there will be no change to current timetables. To ensure we are delivering a bus service which meets your travel requirement we are currently carrying out a full review of the network. To have your say please complete our customer survey.

WHAT WILL HAPPEN WITH PERRYMAN'S BUSES WEBSITE AND SOCIAL MEDIA?

All timetable information will be live on Borders Buses website. Over time we will shut down the Perryman’s Buses website and merge (where possible) social media platforms.

WHAT WILL BE THE CONTACT NUMBER AND EMAIL FOR BORDERS BUSES?

We will soon have a new number for Borders Buses. In the meantime, the Berwick (01289 308719) and Galashiels (01896 754350) numbers will continue to be our main points of contact.

With emails please use [email protected]
WILL PERRYMAN’S ON STREET TIMETABLE AND LEAFLETS BE RE-BRANDED FOR 17 JULY 2017?

No. All on street timetables and leaflets will be re-branded when services are being updated or a re-print is required.

WHAT WILL HAPPEN WITH THE VEHICLES?

The Perryman’s Buses livery is being removed and Borders Buses vinyls applied. A paint programme is in place to ensure all our vehicles are painted and branded Borders Buses over the coming months.

HOW CAN I PROVIDE FEEDBACK ON THE CURRENT BUS SERVICE?

It's your bus service and we want to ensure we meet your travel requirements. We would encourage all customers to provide feedback. Our online survey is available now. All completed surveys will be entered into a prize draw with one lucky person winning a year's free travel.

We are also working in partnership with Bus Users Scotland and Scottish Borders Council and hosting a number of Your Bus Matters drop-in sessions across the Borders. For details of the drop in sessions visit Bus Users Scotland's website.

HOW DO I CONTACT BORDERS BUSES?

Email - [email protected]
Contact Number - 01896 754 350 (Galashiels) or 01289 308719 (Berwick)
Facebook - BordersBuses
Twitter - @BordersBuses

overthewater

Established Member
The next big question will be, will there be any service changes in Late August or early September. You dont go around asking lots and lots of questions to do nothing ;)

DunsBus

Established Member
The next big question will be, will there be any service changes in Late August or early September. You dont go around asking lots and lots of questions to do nothing ;)

Probably not at this time. Remember that the Borders schools go back in mid-August and the last thing anyone will want is a major Borders network change a couple of weeks later!

overthewater

Established Member
Probably not at this time. Remember that the Borders schools go back in mid-August and the last thing anyone will want is a major Borders network change a couple of weeks later!

I think their were hoping for the mid August, and it's still possible if they're in talks with the council. I dont expect to see anything major overall but maybe next spring :lol:

DunsBus

Established Member
Borders Buses fleetnames are now starting to be applied to the former Perryman's-branded vehicles.

On loan currently to Borders Buses and running out of Galashiels is Optare Solo YJ64DWD.