• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Coast Motors & Borders Buses

robertclark125

Established Member
Someone was mentioning coaches on the X95, and suggesting a section where low floor buses may be better. Another thread was looking at this new low entry coach, which is being made by Volvo and Plaxton, and which seemingly interests Stagecoach UK Bus. I would think that it may also interest WCM for the X95 in the borders, or in the WCM main operating territory in the west of Scotland.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Didn't Stagecoach already try this with some vehicles bodied by Wright - low floor entrance, but the rest of the bus/coach was higher up?

Volvodart

Established Member
These are commuter coaches unsuitable for tourist routes where passengers have a lot of luggage.

uww11x

It seems that EX Citylink coach YN15 EKF have now also been sent down to the borders for testing on the X95, Stupidly its on the Carlisle to Gala section and not on the Hawick to Edinburgh section which would have made more sense. There alot of traffic on the southern half which would benefit from low floor buses.

Also another 2 2 Optare MetroCity YJ17 FZA/B has joined the fleet so how many Metrocitys is that?

It seems border buses has brought a few of the First Coaches for School work.

According to a facebook group the following first buses are still on loan:

LicenseCopyright All rights reserved by willielove754:
35544562233_d79357e063_h.jpg

Hi, what is the Facebook group called?

Last edited:

DunsBus

Established Member
Optare Versa 11301 (YA13AEB) is the first of the Versas new to Perrymans to be outshopped in Borders Buses livery.

overthewater

Established Member
Border buses are now using YX67URP Volvo B8R / Plaxton Leopard on full service:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/carlisle1457/39109743542/in/photolist-22zZEc9

Personnel I'm surprised there went with coaches on that section, hopeful the locals in Langholm like them.

From daveballntyn55 over on yahoo, so thank him.
Also rumored to be in storage at Hawick is FJ61 EWM a white Vo B9R Co Levante ex Selwyns Runcorn; the first of 3 apparently. LX59 CLM has returned from Scania Newbridge but apparently YR61 RTU has replaced it there.

YR61 RVM, 65749, 32672, 20302/7 still on loan; possible the 3 Levante could replace 20302/7/71 (20371 already returned) in the short term?

If another ex London Scania were acquired and a replacement for 11704 received then 32672 and 65749 would return perhaps meaning the final First vehicles gone.

11714 YY17 GSO is on loan to St Boswells to allow the repainting of the Versa.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

overthewater

Established Member
Why are you consistently surprised about them using coaches on that section?

You may not know, but First tried coaches before on the X95 route a while back, and there went down like a lead balloon with the passengers. It seems the old grannys hate the stairs. You can still get a full load coming out of Carlisle at times with shoppers etc. Logical if any part of the route were to get coaches it should be Edinburgh - Hawick section as it could then compete with the Rail service. There is also bit more stop/starting on the southern end of the route since it's the only bus in town.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I travelled on it a fortnight ago. Aside from the common Hawick to Gala section, there are very few settlements and fewer passengers south of Hawick. Langholm and Longtown were about it though think we did pick up a woman at Canonbie.

If there’s one part of the X95 that could use coaches, it’s the southern bit.

As an aside, I do find it slightly amusing that First tried coaches and there was uproar. Eastern and Lowland tried them for many years :D

Volvodart

Established Member
They have given passengers plenty of time to raise objections to the coaches anyway, as the trial was well publicised.

enrag2000

I worked on the Gala-Carlisle section some years ago and whilst the bus was always busy, after leaving Hawick Buccleuch Street, the next stop was frequently Canonbie and thereafter Kingstown in Carlisle.
Coaches would be useful in offering more seats that the Enviros and Optares. I notice that the secondhand ex-Whitelaw Volvos are now also on there, again offering more seats.
Anyone can say what the seating capacity of YX67URP is?

overthewater

Established Member
There is talk of more to come, All there is to hoover up would be Peter Hogg. No he no relation to that guy on Postman pat.

BARC COACH HIRE
From 03 January 2018 Borders Buses shall take over BARC Coach Hire.

The acquisition of the Peebles based business will include operating the following:

- 54 Galashiels - Balmoral Road

- 74 Galashiels - Netherdale

- 90 Peebles - Eastgate

- 91 Peebles - Biggar

- 93 Peebles - West Linton

- P32 Peebles High School - Traquair

Please note the services will operate as normal and NO changes will be made to current timetables.

For information regarding all bus service please visit our timetable page.

overthewater

Established Member
And what talk is that, and where is the source?

Its on one of facebook groups. Mind you something was said about Mcgills sniffing around Monklands area last year and it happened. As I said the only company worth getting is Peter hogg.

DunsBus

Established Member
The deal for Borders Buses to acquire BARC Coach Hire actually went through in April, but wasn't announced until yesterday. I believe BARC were struggling financially and that is why they were bought out.

Volvodart

Established Member
The Irizar I4 hybrid coach is currently being trialled on Edinburgh X95s.

smtglasgow

When the Borders Buses brand was rolled out to the old Perrymans services last June there was a mention on the website of a network review - presumably to bank the benefits of the combined First/Perrymans operations. Has anything happened, or any sign of anything happening? They’ve invested a huge sum on new vehicles and the website looks good, but West Coast run a tight ship, so you’d think they would want to streamline things as soon as possible.

overthewater

Established Member
It is a bus service is it not ?

Does Border Buses offer a day ticket ?

You said "Any idea which services" which would suggest you think the Irizar I4 hybrid coach will appear on routes across the network. That coach is only " at the moment" duing test runs on the X95 etc etc etc hence why I was double checking.