• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Border control at Flensburg (DK/D)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

duesselmartin

Established Member
I just experienced German border control at Flensburg coming from Denmark. Is that common? I assumed German checks would be further south were refugees are likely to enter, but in the very north?
The very low ridership in this service also surprised ne. A dozen passengers at most, and only half of that joining the Hamburg bound RE train.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Groningen

Established Member
Last January i had 1 policeman in Flensburg coming from Scandinavia. More going to Denmark.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Doesn't border control near enough by definition[1] have to occur immediately either side of the border, not where they feel like?

[1] I've had two counterexamples - one who genuinely found it hard to believe that I was going to get off at Puttgarden and not get on the ferry (there really is nothing there) and one who thought I'd come from Austria on an IR I boarded at Freilassing having come from Berchtesgaden (a lot less silly than the previous example)...I tended not to carry my passport but instead my photo residence permit at the time as it was less risky, hence the former being an issue. (Not an issue in the end but he did watch carefully to make sure I got off!)

Elwyn

Doesn't border control near enough by definition[1] have to occur immediately either side of the border, not where they feel like?

It can take place pretty well anywhere the countries involved agree. Not necessarily right on the border if that is operationally inconvenient. The Schengen agreement also allows spot checks almost anywhere, for participating countries. This recognizes that if there is no formal border control, there needs to be back-up arrangements for intercepting people being smuggled etc.

In the early days of Eurostar, UK Immigration Officers used to travel on the train from Brussels or Paris and check passports on board. And that still happens occasionally in certain circumstances. The UK has a reciprocal agreement with France to work that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.