• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Borders Railway - Now Open

Status
Not open for further replies.

DunsBus

Established Member
Had a look at Heriot yesterday and the opening of the realigned B709, together with the closure of the current B709 at the former level crossing just west of the A7, will take place next Monday (16th June) with work there being completed by the end of July. The closure of the former level crossing will allow work to commence on a pedestrian underpass to allow Heriot residents to access the bus stops on the A7.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

onyxcrowle

Having seen pictures many sections of trackbed look ready for ballast.
and some bridges are ready too.
Shawford station us already under construction.
does anyone know an exact start date for ballast and track laying.
Any idea where they will start. It looks like some of the middle n southern sections are ready.
and they do say summer this year.
Also when will Stow station be started now that Shawford is underway when will the others start.
n what about signals. will there be any gantries.
And finally the bit where it leaves the mainline at the very northern start Millerhill I think.
looks to have foundations for ohle electrified masts . They are clearly visible on that new bit of track they laid a while back with the buffer stop.
sorry if I'm not up on technical terms n locations. but im relatively new to the forum and am more interested in the Waverley route from a historic angle and am very keen on the reopening.
If anyone could please pm me or post some updated pics of the station sites and the route id be very greatful.
kimd regards
onyx

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Shawford station is already under construction.

Also when will Stow station be started now that Shawford is underway when will the others start.

I am sure that you are referring to Shawfair station.

Shawford station (opened in 1882) is a very long way to the south of the Borders Railway, in the Winchester general area.

Last edited:

deltic08

On Moderation
According to Hugh Wark of Network Rail, tracklaying begins this month. 93,000 concrete sleepers are stockpiled in three locations along the route. I assume tracklaying starts at the north end so that rail can be delivered by rail.
A Dutch company, partners of BAM, is doing the work.

Last edited by a moderator:

railjock

According to Hugh Wark of Network Rail, tracklaying begins this month. 93,000 concrete sleepers are stockpiled in three locations along the route. I assume tracklaying starts at the north end so that rail can be delivered by rail.
A Dutch company, partners of BAM, is doing the work.

I believe the first track will be laid in the Bowshank tunnel. Could be wrong though.

deltic08

On Moderation
I believe the first track will be laid in the Bowshank tunnel. Could be wrong though.

If you mean the concrete slab is being laid first in the tunnel you may be correct but conventional tracklaying is more likely to be first. I will check with a friend who lives in Galabank overlooking Bowshank tunnel and get back to you.

onyxcrowle

If you mean the concrete slab is being laid first in the tunnel you may be correct but conventional tracklaying is more likely to be first. I will check with a friend who lives in Galabank overlooking Bowshank tunnel and get back to you.

The month is nearly over can't anyone find out the exact date id like to drive up n take pictures if possible of the first rails being laid .
just a question of where.
I actually think there's a bit which the trackbed just neefs ballast I don't know the name of the location but there a load of sleeps stacked on what was an old railway merge from a branch line but it goes downhill like a motorway slip road.
dies anyone know where I mean.
and my also id anyone has upto date photos please coukd you post some.
im currently off work very poorly so not well enough this week to take my own.
plus I live in North Lincs
please
kind regards Jonathan

deltic08

On Moderation
The month is nearly over can't anyone find out the exact date id like to drive up n take pictures if possible of the first rails being laid .
I actually think there's a bit which the trackbed just neefs ballast I don't know the name of the location but there a load of sleeps stacked on what was an old railway merge from a branch line but it goes downhill like a motorway slip road.
please
kind regards Jonathan

Hello Jonathan,

The biggest sleeper stockpile is east of the new Shawfair station site. I did see a pile further down towards Stow but cannot think where. I will give it some thought and let you know. I was up there just four weeks ago and there was nowhere that was quite ready for base ballast yet for laying track on. There is still a lot to do between Shawfair and Eskbank especially at Sheriffhall. Much bridge building is in evidence at Galashiels with embankments still to build between bridge abutments.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I have been through my photos taken last month and have found a pile of sleepers just to the south of Bowshank tunnel. I will look through more north of here over the weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:

onyxcrowle

Ah ok thank you. The picture I was refering to was on rail brit I think.
Excuse my typing last night. My phone's autocorrect is a nightmare
There is definatley a section where there is a downhill slope of a former rail line.
In that picture it described the base being down and ready fir ballast.
On the slop are stacked loads of sleepers.
I just cant find the picture or location..
Also this maybe a silly question but isnt shawfair still just a colle tion of roafs and as yet no houses or buildings?. If so why start building that station first ?.
It is effectively in the midfle of nowhere for the forseeable until folk start moving into the place.
Or are there preexisting houses in the area?

fegguk

Ah ok thank you. The picture I was refering to was on rail brit I think.
Excuse my typing last night. My phone's autocorrect is a nightmare
There is definatley a section where there is a downhill slope of a former rail line.
In that picture it described the base being down and ready fir ballast.
On the slop are stacked loads of sleepers.
I just cant find the picture or location..
?

I think this may be Tynehead behind the old station. There are unsurprisingly sleepers stacked at various location now

onyxcrowle

Thank you :). It is indeed Tynehead though I cant find the picture with tge sleepers.
Apparently the slooe cartied a line from a goods yard and another branch I thjnk.
But the trackbed does look pretty much ready for ballast.

deltic08

On Moderation
I think this may be Tynehead behind the old station. There are unsurprisingly sleepers stacked at various location now

Yes, it is Tynehead and yes the bed is complete in many places ready for under ballast prior to sleeper placement when I as up there over May Day Bank Holiday weekend.

DunsBus

Established Member
Had a drive up to Heriot today - the realigned B709 at Sandyknowe has now opened with the former level crossing at the east end of the old B709, Heriot Way, closed off. Noticed cabling for lighting along the A7 at the new Sandyknowe junction and also along the new alignment of the B709, with sign poles lying on the ground nearby awaiting erecting.

deltic08

On Moderation
please
kind regards Jonathan

Sleeper stockpiles at Bowshank and Heriot but no sign of tracklaying yet even in Bowshank tunnel.

onyxcrowle

Sleeper stockpiles at Bowshank and Heriot but no sign of tracklaying yet even in Bowshank tunnel.

Thank you very much for your reply. Did you get a look at the track bed ? Is it like tynehead, Ready fir Ballast?
Also does anyone know if they've started building any of the other stations yet?.
Just that the onevwhere the houses had to be demolished looked like they started.
N they had piles of ballast in front of the Jcb.
I cant think of thevstations name is it eskbank?.
One final question . See where at millerhill just where theres already track n a buffer stop.
I noticed what looks like ohle mast foundations. Is it going to be electrified as far.ss shawfair?.
They are soaced the same as ohle.
Also the line immediately next to it is electrified wgat line is that is it The Ecml or a link tonit.
Judt I noticed that there us of course the spur Edinburgh bound where they connected it to thst line.
But will there be another chord/spur to join the Waverley line to thst main line on the down track so it has two way accsess.
Would that allow a direct London service without going via Waverley.
Could someone plesse post a map of that bit so I can explain what I mean if this post doesn't make sense

Last edited:

snowball

Established Member
Depends on their revision schedules. You'd have to ask the OS.

They fairly often get new roads wrong for the first couple of years after they're first shown. Railways probably aren't immune.

Last edited:

NotATrainspott

Established Member
Not sure if this hasn't been posted somewhere before but the Scottish Government are planning to reopen the line with a proper 'opening ceremony':

The Scottish Ministers intend that the opening of this railway should be a major celebration for the Borders and Midlothian communities along its route. The opening ceremony is expected to include celebratory steam hauled services. The Franchisee is required to cooperate with the organisation of this event.

[ScotRail ITT Page 63]

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Not sure if this hasn't been posted somewhere before but the Scottish Government are planning to reopen the line with a proper 'opening ceremony'

Looking back in my historical tomes of railway history to see mention of such events that occurred in the 1830's and 1840's period, they usually all then retired to a noted establishment where a "cold collation" was prepared for them..:D

Do you envisage anything similar for the Borders Railway "special day" ?

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
When will the line be shown on the relavent OS maps (Landrangers 66 & 73 and Explorers 350, 345, & 338)?

Might take even longer on SatNav and mobile phone maps as has been said.

For a couple of years I used to enjoy rushing through the buffer stop at Drumgelloch and along the disused line to Bathgate when following the train's progress on my phone. Google maps let you speed through the fields as the route of the railway wasn't marked at all.

railjock

Looking back in my historical tomes of railway history to see mention of such events that occurred in the 1830's and 1840's period, they usually all then retired to a noted establishment where a "cold collation" was prepared for them..:D

A pie and a pint in gala is likely. Looking forward to the opening day celebrations. I still have to pinch myself that it is really happening, 46 years without local rail is a long time. :D

JohnB57

Night Nurse?

deltic08

On Moderation
Thank you very much for your reply. Did you get a look at the track bed ? Is it like tynehead, Ready fir Ballast?
Also does anyone know if they've started building any of the other stations yet?.
Just that the onevwhere the houses had to be demolished looked like they started.
N they had piles of ballast in front of the Jcb.
I cant think of thevstations name is it eskbank?.
One final question . See where at millerhill just where theres already track n a buffer stop.
I noticed what looks like ohle mast foundations. Is it going to be electrified as far.ss shawfair?.
They are soaced the same as ohle.
Also the line immediately next to it is electrified wgat line is that is it The Ecml or a link tonit.
Judt I noticed that there us of course the spur Edinburgh bound where they connected it to thst line.
But will there be another chord/spur to join the Waverley line to thst main line on the down track so it has two way accsess.
Would that allow a direct London service without going via Waverley.
Could someone plesse post a map of that bit so I can explain what I mean if this post doesn't make sense

Gorebridge is where the houses were cleared. Work is progressing on building gabion embankments here, incredibly reducing trackbed double width to single width unnecessarily making future doubling uneconomical. No sign of station building here yet, but work has started on platforms at Shawfair.

I think you mean that the present double track is the original Waverley route to Hawick via Millerhill yard. It is possible to get back onto the ECML south of Millerhill but this is not the ECML

The curved single track is the turnback headshunt for Newcraighall station at the south end of Edinburgh Crossrail that will be the start of Borders railway next year.

The mast foundations here are most likely piles for the new EMU depot being built at this site. I am not sure if entry is off the Borders railway line or Millerhill line as there is no indication on the signalling plan for Shawfair.

fegguk

I have just posted YouTube video showing Further progress Borders Railway featuring work at the new Shawfair and Eskbank Station sites filmed last week. It features the platforms being built at Shawfair.

Also some short scenes shot from the car further south at Falahill and Heriot. The Falahill over bridge seems to be making rapid progress now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t7fObfnx7M&list=UUvXVnyCnWAIS-TXavynzjwQ

Sorry for the couple of typo in subtitles.

Status
Not open for further replies.