• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Boris Johnson Announcement Discussion - 10/05/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB

Established Member
No mention of when social distancing will be lifted.

Boris talked about school going back after half term but if social distancing is in place I am not sure how it could possible work.

Only certain years. I am sure they will look at issues around social distancing and if necessary, split classes up.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I’m overwhelmingly disappointed, I was expecting a detailed exit strategy and instead it was a vague rewording of the current message. This has if anything increased my worry that the government will be focused so hard on suppressing the virus that it’ll cause irreparable damage to the economy and mental health and that this will in the end cause much, much more damage than the virus ever would have for the 99.5% of people who would have caught it and made it through.

Established Member
I’m overwhelmingly disappointed, I was expecting a detailed exit strategy and instead it was a vague rewording of the current message. This has if anything increased my worry that the government will be focused so hard on suppressing the virus that it’ll cause irreparable damage to the economy and mental health and that this will in the end cause much, much more damage than the virus ever would have for the 99.5% of people who would have caught it and made it through.

Yes, I’m afraid that’s pretty much exactly my take on it. Disappointing to say the least.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Not much to see here then.

Though it does mention the potential for some of the hospitality industry to reopen in July !

BluePenguin

On Moderation
I am surprised that reception and year 1 will go back to school as they are the most difficult to keep apart

Year 6’s I can understand as the last year of primary school is very important and they deserve the chance to see their class And teacher one final time to say goodbye - even if it is at a distance. No hugs, fist bumps or shirt signing.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I can’t help but feel the public view of “we need to stay locked in until a vaccine” combined with his own experiences of nearly dying from the virus has influenced the government views and essentially partially blinded their views to the horrific damage this is doing to the economy.

I was looking for reassurance and I now feel that my generation are going to lose out on the opportunities that we would have had for perhaps decades simply to protect those who are shielding and whilst of course I want to protect people and prevent any unnecessary death, I feel my and my generations prospects and future are simply being overlooked compared to those of the elderly.

Jozhua

Established Member
Do I get to see friends/family? I live on my own and haven't had human contact for two months.

johntea

Established Member
July is 2 months away...by that point the hospitality sector will be extinct!

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Do I get to see friends/family? I live on my own and haven't had human contact for two months.
From what was said tonight, it sounds like it will be several months longer I’m afraid.

Im in a similar position as are many others and I feel much more concerned that I won’t be able to see family or friends until at least August or perhaps beyond as the steps up to July had no mention of this

3rd rail land

I agree. Too vague but better than nothing. The main issue for me is social distancing. If I go to the office, which I don;t do often as a mobile worker, will I have to social distance? When I can resume my hobbies as none of them can be done while maintaining social distancing? Whilst some people may have at some of the answers they were looking for Boris didn't answer any of my queries.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, I’m afraid that’s pretty much exactly my take on it. Disappointing to say the least.
Problem is that those who favour locking down for a very long time are very vocal and active so I don't think they really had much choice.
I am surprised that reception and year 1 will go back to school as they are the most difficult to keep apart
As discussed in other threads, they're not going to be passing the virus on anyway.

chris11256

I wasn’t expecting him to put any dates on anything, so that was nice. I expect we’ll hear more in Parliament tomorrow.

Also clear that my school won’t be opening before September. We’re a sixth form only and break up for summer on the 3rd July, based on tonight it sound so like year 10/12 won’t be going back until early/mid July to give ‘some time’ before the holidays.

causton

Established Member

This was one thing I am still waiting for. I have followed the rules and not seen my parents for two months now, I also live alone! Similarly, I've spoke to people a lot over the internet for work, leisure and family but it isn't the same... I do appreciate it is not the right time now and therefore we do not really know when it will be.

Established Member
I can’t help but feel the public view of “we need to stay locked in until a vaccine” combined with his own experiences of nearly dying from the virus has influenced the government views and essentially partially blinded their views to the horrific damage this is doing to the economy.

I agree.

The government’s own scaremongering to encourage social distancing has led to a significant % of the population being afraid to leave their houses.

It’s disappointing that non essential businesses are essentially going to remain shut until July. What on earth will the unemployment rate be by then?!

GB

Established Member
From what was said tonight, it sounds like it will be several months longer I’m afraid

The message appears to have moved on from stay at home and essential travel only. You can now sit in a park (or sunbathe) so nothing really stopping you arranging to meet up with friends providing you maintain social distance. Same goes for family, you could visit them just no close contact.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Disappointing on many fronts but not a lot of change was expected

Being able to drive to a destination, does this mean I can visit family in their home?

And if many furloughed staff can return to work in say, July (if they have jobs to go back to), how will this work if the scheme is going to be scaled back now?

Will find out tomorrow no doubt

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Yes there was very little about what their thoughts are on re-establishing some form of limited social contact. That's a major omission. however I suspect that they haven't decided anything on it yet.

Established Member
From what was said tonight, it sounds like it will be several months longer I’m afraid.

Im in a similar position as are many others and I feel much more concerned that I won’t be able to see family or friends until at least August or perhaps beyond as the steps up to July had no mention of this

My take on it is that you can meet people from other households so long as you are outdoors and observe social distancing (and obviously so long as none of you are high risk or shielding).

I am certainly planning on meeting family members and friends on this basis over the next couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.