• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bosnia and Hercegovina - politics and history

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
Inspired by the discussion here - https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/bosnian-steam.222935/post-5390286 - I thought I'd start a new thread on discussing the political/historical situation in Bosnia-Hercegovina. To answer the first question:

Richard Scott said:
seems elections cost an absolute fortune to run, is this correct?

Yes, there is a horrendously complicated system of governance in BiH.

The Republika Srpska has a rather simple and flat administrative structure with only Presidential elections for the Serb President, elections to the entity-level unicameral National Assembly of Republika Srpska and local elections. As a result, the RS is generally governed better in terms of actually implementing policies, and in terms of business climate, the RS is rather more favourable as they introduced some tax reforms to simplify things and encourage investment. The entity has other issues, but in terms of administration, it's considered to be the better-run of the two entities.

On the other hand, the Bosniak-Croat Federation of Bosnia-Hercegovina is a mess. They have a horrendously complicated system involving Presidential elections where - theoretically - Bosniaks should vote for a Bosniak President and Croats should vote for a Croat President. What's happening now is that Bosniaks are taking advantage of the system that allows them to vote for the Croat President instead, so they're ending up with two Presidents - one nominally Croat, although clearly elected with the help of Bosniak votes. Then the Parliament of the Federation of Bosnia-Hercegovina is bicameral, and under that lies 10 cantons, each with their own assemblies, executives and laws. Then there's local elections beneath that. The Federation's parliament is also not elected directly, but rather by the Cantonal parliaments, although this is supposed to change to direct elections.

The Republika Srpska generally has well defined division between entity-level parliament and local councils, but the Federation has a complete mess where very little gets done due to constant bickering and arguing over the exact competences of each level of governance. It's reflected in the aforementioned tax laws - the RS has a quite straightforward taxation system, the FBiH has a hideously complicated system that effectively discourages anyone from starting their own business due to the complicated nature of taxation. From memory, the RS has a straightforward corporate tax regime - you can pay either 10% corporation tax, or you can pay a flat 0.2% of your yearly revenue if it's a smaller business.

Where am I going with this? Well - my argument is that the Dayton Agreement needs to be torn up if Bosnia is to survive as a country. Yes, it ended the war, but the war was going to end regardless by the end of 1995/beginning of 1996 due to the overwhelming strength of the Croat forces after the liberation of the Republika Srpska Krajina. For that reason, Dayton shouldn't be seen as a "scared cow" (as they say in Polish!) but rather as a document of the time. The problem is - as I mentioned in my other post - the three major nationalist parties have no reason to change Dayton. It's allowed them to build up a very corrupt power structure in which each major party controls their ethnic group, and all the threats are just designed to appeal to their own ethnic groups.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Thankyou -- that's very interesting. I'm not sure that I can add much to the discussion at the moment, though; but I may think of some questions and come back with them later.

(I'm intrigued as to how and why you acquired your extensive knowledge of the country, but you don't have to answer that if you don't want to).

Cloud Strife

Established Member
Thankyou -- that's very interesting. I'm not sure that I can add much to the discussion at the moment, though; but I may think of some questions and come back with them later.

(I'm intrigued as to how and why you acquired your extensive knowledge of the country, but you don't have to answer that if you don't want to).

Actually, it was quite a strange introduction to the topic. I was 15, and fooling around on ICQ. NATO had just started bombing Serbia during the Kosovan War, so it occurred to me that it would be a good idea to see if I could find someone from Serbia/Yugoslavia to ask what was going on. I actually found someone in Novi Sad, and she was telling me about what was happening there, including the general sense of bewilderment that they were under attack from NATO. It was quite harrowing, because Novi Sad took an absolute beating during the war. She was very clear that they had never, ever expected to come under attack from the West. I remember the earlier wars being on the news, but as a 6-10 year old, Bosnia was 'far away' and not really comprehensible.

So, of course, I got into the topic, and it became a lifelong passion since then. Since then, I've been to Croatia and Slovenia countless times, Bosnia four times, Serbia twice, Montenegro three times and North Macedonia once. I'm still missing Kosovo, but it's just a tremendous pain to get there.

Bosnia-Hercegovina is endlessly fascinating however. It has macabre elements (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vilina_Vlas - how the hell could anyone go there on holiday?), it has beautiful landscapes (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutjeska_National_Park), it has completely dysfunctional politics (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Representatives_of_the_Federation_of_Bosnia_and_Herzegovina - look at how many parties are represented within the lower house of the Federation of Bosnia-Hercegovina!), it has wonderful food and people, and just so much more. I do genuinely believe that it's at the crossroads of Europe - it's not as wild as Serbia, yet it's not quite as civilised as Slovenia and northern Croatia.

My favourite example of Bosnian ridiculousness comes from the village of Kulen Vakuf - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kulen_Vakuf - which is now almost completely majority Bosniak. It was Friday night, I wanted to get a beer from a pub, so I went into the village as we were staying on the other side of the river. I heard some very loud heavy metal coming from the centre of the village, so I thought it was a guarantee of a good beer. I got there, and found some metal pub (?!) with some typical metalheads inside. Then, the lights came on in the mosque next door, and for the next few minutes, there was the surreal combination of the Muslim call to prayer competing against heavy metal. I stayed in Bihać after that, at an apartment next door to a mosque. The imam was usually late with the prayers, and when we asked the owners of the apartment about his timekeeping, they said that no-one was taking the exact prayer times seriously.

But yes, feel free to add anything whatsoever!

If anyone wants a very good podcast on the topic of the former Yugoslavia, I highly recommend https://podtail.com/en/podcast/the-history-of-yugoslavia/ - the author really knows his stuff, and the podcasts are meticulously researched. They're in chronological order, and they're just up to WW2 now. Many of the things that are happening today are the result of various unresolved historical issues and grievances, not just modern politicians.

And of course - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdw7wnKe0wiUSNdugFGpnSfm6wt-9gvUt - the BBC Series "The Death of Yugoslavia" is a must watch, not least because it features interviews with Milošević and the Bosnian President Izetbegović.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Actually, it was quite a strange introduction to the topic. I was 15, and fooling around on ICQ. NATO had just started bombing Serbia during the Kosovan War, so it occurred to me that it would be a good idea to see if I could find someone from Serbia/Yugoslavia to ask what was going on. I actually found someone in Novi Sad, and she was telling me about what was happening there, including the general sense of bewilderment that they were under attack from NATO. It was quite harrowing, because Novi Sad took an absolute beating during the war. She was very clear that they had never, ever expected to come under attack from the West. I remember the earlier wars being on the news, but as a 6-10 year old, Bosnia was 'far away' and not really comprehensible.

So, of course, I got into the topic, and it became a lifelong passion since then. Since then, I've been to Croatia and Slovenia countless times, Bosnia four times, Serbia twice, Montenegro three times and North Macedonia once. I'm still missing Kosovo, but it's just a tremendous pain to get there.

Bosnia-Hercegovina is endlessly fascinating however. It has macabre elements (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vilina_Vlas - how the hell could anyone go there on holiday?), it has beautiful landscapes (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutjeska_National_Park), it has completely dysfunctional politics (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Representatives_of_the_Federation_of_Bosnia_and_Herzegovina - look at how many parties are represented within the lower house of the Federation of Bosnia-Hercegovina!), it has wonderful food and people, and just so much more. I do genuinely believe that it's at the crossroads of Europe - it's not as wild as Serbia, yet it's not quite as civilised as Slovenia and northern Croatia.

My favourite example of Bosnian ridiculousness comes from the village of Kulen Vakuf - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kulen_Vakuf - which is now almost completely majority Bosniak. It was Friday night, I wanted to get a beer from a pub, so I went into the village as we were staying on the other side of the river. I heard some very loud heavy metal coming from the centre of the village, so I thought it was a guarantee of a good beer. I got there, and found some metal pub (?!) with some typical metalheads inside. Then, the lights came on in the mosque next door, and for the next few minutes, there was the surreal combination of the Muslim call to prayer competing against heavy metal. I stayed in Bihać after that, at an apartment next door to a mosque. The imam was usually late with the prayers, and when we asked the owners of the apartment about his timekeeping, they said that no-one was taking the exact prayer times seriously.

But yes, feel free to add anything whatsoever!

If anyone wants a very good podcast on the topic of the former Yugoslavia, I highly recommend https://podtail.com/en/podcast/the-history-of-yugoslavia/ - the author really knows his stuff, and the podcasts are meticulously researched. They're in chronological order, and they're just up to WW2 now. Many of the things that are happening today are the result of various unresolved historical issues and grievances, not just modern politicians.

And of course - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdw7wnKe0wiUSNdugFGpnSfm6wt-9gvUt - the BBC Series "The Death of Yugoslavia" is a must watch, not least because it features interviews with Milošević and the Bosnian President Izetbegović.

That podcast looks interesting. I’ll give it a listen tomorrow when I’m working.
I have visited Croatia and I loved the place, but there’s so much to learn about this complicated situation. Appreciate you taking the time to fill in the gaps @Cloud Strife.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
Appreciate you taking the time to fill in the gaps @Cloud Strife.

It's my pleasure! It's such a complicated topic that I don't think it can be easily explained.

Even for me, the amusing and interesting thing is to ask them what language they speak in Bosnia-Hercegovina. Depending on the person, you'll hear either "Bosnian", "Serbian", "Croatian" or "our language". Then there's the intriguing linguistic issue that Serbians in Bosnia sometimes use the Ijekavian variant of Shtokavian (which forms the basis of Bosnian/Croatian/Montenegrin/Serbian) - but this variant is what is taught as the prestige dialect in Croatia. Serbians from Serbia proper use the Ekavian variant, yet this isn't in use in Bosnia.

Of course, the truth is that the various dialects of Shtokavian are very similar, with the exception of scientific language and certain words, such as the way that Croatian uses things like "Zračna luka" (airport) while Bosnian and Serbian uses Aerodrom. However, intriguingly - Croatian uses the old Slavic names for months, while Serbian uses the Roman names. And then there's the confusing way that "listopad" is October in Croatian, yet November in Polish. It translates as "leaf fall" - but why Croatian leaves were falling earlier than Polish ones, I couldn't possibly comment.

Calthrop

Established Member
Even for me, the amusing and interesting thing is to ask them what language they speak in Bosnia-Hercegovina. Depending on the person, you'll hear either "Bosnian", "Serbian", "Croatian" or "our language". Then there's the intriguing linguistic issue that Serbians in Bosnia sometimes use the Ijekavian variant of Shtokavian (which forms the basis of Bosnian/Croatian/Montenegrin/Serbian) - but this variant is what is taught as the prestige dialect in Croatia. Serbians from Serbia proper use the Ekavian variant, yet this isn't in use in Bosnia.

Of course, the truth is that the various dialects of Shtokavian are very similar, with the exception of scientific language and certain words, such as the way that Croatian uses things like "Zračna luka" (airport) while Bosnian and Serbian uses Aerodrom. However, intriguingly - Croatian uses the old Slavic names for months, while Serbian uses the Roman names. And then there's the confusing way that "listopad" is October in Croatian, yet November in Polish. It translates as "leaf fall" - but why Croatian leaves were falling earlier than Polish ones, I couldn't possibly comment.

With my being self-confessedly not a student of current affairs: my "take on", and -- pretty much -- understanding of, politics and history re Bosnia and Hercegovina, can more or less be summed up as "very distressing; and something to which the learned scholars apply the technical term of a 'mess' <D ".

However -- on a more cheerful "tack" which has just come about, as above: while I wouldn't know Ijekavian / Shtovakian / Ekavian from the proverbial bull's foot: am struck by the interesting oddity that a thread on the International Transport sub-forum, titled " A language question", first post 19 / 1 / 2021; and, as here, being initially about something other than month-names; also got into that topic -- old-type "seasonal" names for months, versus more modern and widespread Roman ditto. I had been aware that some Slavonic languages favoured the "seasonal" names: with exchanges on that thread having got on to that topic, I did some Googling, and came up with -- as I understood it: Croatian, Lithuanian, and Czech stick with the old "seasonal" names (between languages, some similarities -- but more differences -- re the named phenomena in the natural / farming year ; while Polish would seem to opt for a ""half-and-half" situation.

It would indeed seem odd that Polish's "leaf fall" month is one later than Croatian's -- with Poland being significantly further north, one might reckon that autumn and winter would come earlier there; or in this, are we laymen being simplistic, and the biologists / meteorologists know stuff that we don't?

Last edited:

Cloud Strife

Established Member
A mess is exactly what I'd call it!

with Poland being significantly further north, one might reckon that autumn and winter would come earlier there

That's what I've also been confused by! It gets stranger, because April in Polish is "kwiecień" (from 'kwiat' - flower), but Czech has Květen - in May!

To bring it into full scale weirdness - Bosnian, which sits awkwardly in the middle of Croatian and Serbian (although Ijekavian is used) - uses the Roman months rather than the Slavic months. There seems to be no particular rhyme or reason for it, except that Bosnian is perhaps closest to the 'ideal' of Serbo-Croat, and the Ijekavian (or 'Western' Shtokavian) dialect emerged from what is now Bosnia.

Now, if you want to get fully into weirdness, the Croatian spoken in Bosnia is the standard Croatian based on Shtokavian, but Croatian in Croatia also has
Chakavian (essentially an Adriatic language) and Kajkavian (spoken in Central Croatia, including Zagreb) languages. The problem? Kajkavian in particular is only partially intelligible with standard Shtokavian-Croatian.

What does this mean in practice? Well, to go back to the case of Bosnia - someone from somewhere heavily Croat such as Livno or Tomislavgrad speaking Western Shtokavian (Ijekavian) would have zero problems talking to some old guy on the street in Belgrade, although he would be using Eastern Shtokavian (Ekavian). Yet our hero from Livno could go to the centre of the Croatian world in Zagreb and be unable to communicate with the old man.

Zagreb is perhaps not so extreme, but up in the north (especially around Međimurje), our Livno hero would have real problems.

Calthrop

Established Member
It does appear that -- as regards no matter what "in heaven or earth" -- things will turn out to be be a lot more complicated than one's first envisaging of them :s ! I had long fondly been imagining that (save for Slovenia / Slovenian -- long acknowledged as being "a rather different animal" from the rest of what was Yugoslavia) in that one-time country, everyone spoke essentially the same, mutually understandable, language; with a few differing words here and there, favoured by the different peoples. "That's all I knew !"

On the subject of the month-names oddity which we've been pondering: in the other "language question" thread which I mentioned: an apparently knowledgeable poster of South Slav origin, put forward the theory that the "same word for different months, north versus south" thing makes sense because -- approximately quoting him -- the agricultural activities concerned (he cites linden bloom, and harvest) take place later in more northerly places. I suppose I can to some extent "buy" that; but surely to goodness: further north, flowers start blooming later; and leaves falling from the trees, earlier; than further south? Maybe nowadays, what with climate change, everything is up for grabs; but the forming of the languages happened millennia before that business... and I can't believe that the ancient Poles, say: were keen to name their months throughout, in a way which was consistently "in step with" (even if not reflecting what actually happened in Poland) the languages of the folk in more southerly latitudes -- of whose existence they were, anyway, unaware !

Last edited:

zero

This may be a stupid/simplistic question, but if the countries in the Balkans are based on ethnicity, why don't/didn't the Croats in BiH join Croatia and the Serbs join Serbia?

It's not like the borders of Republika Srbska are even contiguous... and Croatia is having to build a bridge to get rid of the Neum problem. Someone told me that due to COVID, apparently if you want to drive to Neum from Croatia, you must go a long way round as non-Bosnian citizens who enter BiH along the coastal route have to be out of the country via the other crossing within an hour.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Part of my reason for going to Bosnia, apart from Railways, was to try and understand more about its history and particularly the war in the 1990s, which I never understood all the reasons behind it, and, whilst I learned a lot, it raised many more questions. Thanks for all the information posted above at least it means I didn't understand because it was all (and still is) very complex.

the RS is generally governed better
Do you know if this makes any noticeable difference to economic prosperity, or are there too many other variables?

Thankyou -- I'll add those to my long list of things to watch/listen to/read sometime. Have you (@Cloud Strife) ever read 'Eastern Approaches' by Fitzroy MacLean? A significant part of it describes the author's wartime experieces in Yugoslavia as in effect the British Ambassador to the Partisans.

Depending on the person, you'll hear either "Bosnian", "Serbian", "Croatian" or "our language".

Two more alternatives: I once saw 'local language' on a cash machine disply in Doboj, and my Bosnian-born former colleague still regards it as Serbo-Croat, although he hasn't lived there since the late 1980s (I don't think he was directly a war refugee, as he was already living abroad at the time, but some of his relatives may have been). Apparently anyone familiar with the language can immediately tell by his accent that he's from Sarajevo, but that's accent rather than language. Interestingly he's never given much clue as to which community he or his family were from -- I suspect he may be of mixed ancestry, which might be all the more reason to live in Oxford rather than Sarajevo.

Have you ever come across the theory, based on his accent, that Tito wasn't really Josip Broz from Croatia, or even Yugoslavian at all: https://www.nsa.gov/portals/75/docu...ocuments/cryptologic-spectrum/is_yugoslav.pdf? Wikipedia takes the view that the true explanation is more likely to be that his native dialect was a form of Kajkavian.

While the Bosnian war was going on, the impression one got from the news was that, although things were complicated, the siege of Sarajevo was largley a case of Serbs outside the city besieging non-Serbs inside it. However, I read more recently that a large number of Serbs remained there throughout the war and then left afterwards. One might think that either they and their non-Serb neighbours would have seen each other as the enemy and they would have left or been driven out much sooner, or that they would have developed some fellow-feeling with their neighbours through suffering the siege together and have wanted to stay. Can you shed any light on this? (I'm sure it's more complicated than outsiders might think).

Do you know how well the different communities get on in the Brčko district?

Cloud Strife

Established Member
I'm going to answer all these in turn, so bear with me :)

This may be a stupid/simplistic question, but if the countries in the Balkans are based on ethnicity, why don't/didn't the Croats in BiH join Croatia and the Serbs join Serbia?

So, because it wouldn't be a good thread without a good technical answer, let me try my best to explain.

The roots of independence in terms of legality lie with the frankly absurd 1974 Constitution of the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia. It was Tito's attempt to create a viable structure for post-Tito Yugoslavia, which established the concept of dual citizenship within Yugoslavia. People had citizenship of the SFRY, but they also had individual citizenship of their 'home' Republic. The home republic was defined by the parents and their individual republic citizenships. Generally speaking, it was a bureaucratic formality, so our hero from Livno would have held citizenship of the SR Bosnia because that's where his parents were from, regardless of the fact that he was an ethnic Croat and his parents were also Croats. At this moment in 1974, it was really nothing important - you could move freely between republics, it was just a way of giving some 'importance' to the individual republics in order to calm nationalist issues.

(to make matters more complicated, there were also nationalities within the SFRY, so you had Slovenes, Croats, Muslims (by nationality), Serbs, Yugoslavs, etc etc)

So, there was dual sovereignty involved. Each republic was considered to be sovereign within the SFRY, but also each constituent people were *also* sovereign. You couldn't change the status of the individual republics without the consent of the republic as a whole, but also with the explicit consent of the individual nationalities within a given republic. So, in the case of Bosnia, you had three nationalities there - Croats, Muslims (by nationality, now known as Bosniaks) and Serbs. You also couldn't change the borders of the SFRY without the consent of *all* the republics. So, even if you agree that Slovenia and Croatia had broken away, there was still no consent from Serbia and Montenegro for the independence of the 1992-era Republic of Bosnia-Hercegovina.

And so we have the problem of independence. There are so many ways of looking at this problem, but sticking strictly to Bosnia, there is a strong argument to suggest that the independence referendum in 1992 was deeply flawed. There was no consent from the Serb population of the Republic of Bosnia-Hercegovina (as it was known in 1992), the Constitution of the Republic of Bosnia-Hercegovina guaranteed equality of the peoples (i.e. the three nationalities), and regardless of what Karadzic and other criminals were doing at that time, it's by no means certain that the Serbs in Bosnia would have voted for independence too in a free/fair referendum.

So, we move forward to the war and the position of the international community. The international community in Croatia had made it very clear that they did not support breaking up the individual republics into smaller fragments, nor did they support the secessionist movements within them. They regarded the individual republics as holding their own sovereignty, and this was confirmed by the Badinter Arbitration - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbitration_Commission_of_the_Peace_Conference_on_Yugoslavia - which made it clear that the then-EEC would not support changing the borders of the former internal republics.

Without writing an essay on this topic - the general principle was that the EEC (and by extension, the US) would simply not support the Croat areas seceding and joining the Republic of Croatia, nor would they support the Serb areas from joining the Republic of Serbia. This was in accordance with the SFRY Constitution, yet the same commission regarded the SFRY as no longer existing (which is what justified the independence referenda). It takes some mental gymnastics to follow all this, but in general, it's very clear that war was going to happen in Bosnia once the Badinter Arbitartion made it clear that the SFRY no longer existed.

The 1990-2 Republic of Bosnia-Hercegovina was in a no-win situation regardless - had the Croat and Bosniak representatives accepted that the country was to remain in the SFRY, then Serbia would have transformed the remaining three republics (Serbia, Bosnia-Hercegovina and Montenegro) into a single Serbian-dominated state. Had they left, well, war was going to follow in order to prevent Bosnia from leaving Serbian clutches, just as it did in Serb-majority areas in Croatia.

Anyway, let's jump forward. Why did the international community not support the Serb/Croat areas from leaving Bosnia and joining their 'mother' countries? Well, the Badinter Arbitration was generally considered to be law, combined with the fact that the Bosniaks really didn't hold much territory by 1995. This map shows it perfectly - https://www.loc.gov/resource/g6861f.ct003054/ - Serbia had huge parts of the country under their control. What remained was unviable as a seperate Bosniak state, although the Croat part could easily have joined Croatia.

I should also address the uncomfortable part of history that doesn't get talked about - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milošević–Tuđman_Karađorđevo_meeting - Milošević and Tuđman may well have talked about the possibility of sharing Bosnia between themselves at this point. It wouldn't have been that unrealistic, given how the Croats turned on their nominally Bosniak allies in 1993.

Do you know if this makes any noticeable difference to economic prosperity, or are there too many other variables?

From what I understand, it does make a difference, but it's balanced out by the fact that Sarajevo and Mostar are in the 'other' side. From my observations, both sides are more or less the same economically. The mystery to me is how they all have rather large houses and how they afford to heat them in winter...

Have you (@Cloud Strife) ever read 'Eastern Approaches' by Fitzroy MacLean? A significant part of it describes the author's wartime experieces in Yugoslavia as in effect the British Ambassador to the Partisans.

No, never, but I'll start reading it tonight! The whole issue of the Partisans is incredibly fascinating - what Tito did should never be underestimated. It's true that they were run ragged on occasion, but it was a remarkable feat to put together an ethnically diverse group that was then strong enough to essentially tell Stalin to get lost after the war.

Interestingly he's never given much clue as to which community he or his family were from -- I suspect he may be of mixed ancestry, which might be all the more reason to live in Oxford rather than Sarajevo.
It's very possible. Mixed marriages were incredibly common in Bosnia before the war, to the point where people were using Yugoslav as their nationality. Certainly these days, one of the huge problems in Bosnia is that there's far less mixing of people. In Mostar for instance, people are staying on 'their' side of the river, or in Sarajevo, the Serbs don't wander that much into the city centre unless it's for a specific reason. Of course, there's also plenty of stupidity in that respect - my favourite example is how the trolleybus towards the East Sarajevo bus station (but actually in the west of Sarajevo!) ends a couple of hundred metres before the East Sarajevo bus station.

Someone told me that due to COVID, apparently if you want to drive to Neum from Croatia, you must go a long way round as non-Bosnian citizens who enter BiH along the coastal route have to be out of the country via the other crossing within an hour.

It's not that silly, although it wouldn't surprise me given the Balkans. No, if you want to enter BiH at that point, you just have to comply with the entry restrictions, whatever they might be. The 'one hour' rule is only if you intend to transit through Neum. If you intend to stay in Neum, you just declare that to the border police and they'll clear you into BiH properly. However, that border is also very silly, because it's quite common for the BiH police to simply not control anyone on entry and exit. I've crossed there a few times, and I think I've only been checked by the BiH police once on entry. It was the same before Croatia joined the EU as well.

Thanks for all the information posted above at least it means I didn't understand because it was all (and still is) very complex.

It is terribly, terribly complex, and I don't think I understand even 10% of it all. There is, for instance, one example of typical Balkan stubbornness - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canton_10

To explain: the Federation of Bosnia-Hercegovina is divided into 10 cantons as part of the Dayton settlement. 5 are majority Bosniak, 3 are majority Croat, and 2 are ethnically mixed with no majority. As the FBiH is quite decentralised and the cantons have quite a lot of power (for instance, education and culture is at the canton level), it means that there's quite a lot of political importance attached to them. Each canton has a name, and they're normally geographically based, such as the Sarajevo Canton or the Una-Sana Canton. Canton 10 is...different.

Why? Canton 10 is 77% Croat, 13% Serb and 9% Bosniak. As a result, the Canton is dominated by Croats, and they decided in their wisdom that it would be a good idea to name their Canton after the wartime Croatian Republic of Herzeg-Bosnia (Hercegbosanska županija - Herzeg-Bosnia County). The name was ruled illegal by the Constitutional Court, as it isn't part of historical Hercegovina, nor is the name županija used officially in the Federation of Bosnia-Hercegovina. The name is used in Croatia proper, but officially, the FBiH Constitution talks about Cantons. Of course, Bosnia being Bosnia, it wouldn't be complete without stubbornness. The end result is that the Canton is known as Hercegbosanska županija by the local Cantonal government and in the Croatian language, while Bosniaks and Serbs refer to Canton 10. Canton 10 is the official and legal name until the Cantonal authorities amend the Constitution, but they won't change it. They could use - for instance - Livno Canton, but no, they want their original name and that's that.

Now imagine the same stubbornness throughout the country at every single level.

(one other thing that's worth addressing - in terms of political outlook, the Serbs and Croats want maximum devolution for their areas with a very weak central government, the Bosniaks want a strong central government and fewer devolved powers. This reflects back to the wartime situation - President Izetbegovic refused to compromise on Bosnia's territorial boundaries, whereas the Serbs and Croats both wanted to break chunks of Bosnia away and to join the mother countries). The Bosniaks, of course, would prefer majority centralised rule, because the 2013 census gave them a slight majority (50.1%) in the country and 70% in the Federation of BiH. The interesting and curious thing is that the war actually gave the Bosniaks a majority - before the war, they only had around 43% of the total population, although I suspect most of the self-declared Yugoslavs were Bosniaks, as it was common pre-1974 for them to refer to themselves as Yugoslavs as there was no separate Bosniak (or Muslim) nationality.)

181 said:
Have you ever come across the theory, based on his accent, that Tito wasn't really Josip Broz from Croatia, or even Yugoslavian at all: https://www.nsa.gov/portals/75/docu...ocuments/cryptologic-spectrum/is_yugoslav.pdf? Wikipedia takes the view that the true explanation is more likely to be that his native dialect was a form of Kajkavian.

Yes, it was quite a common theory. The argument goes that he was replaced at some point by some Russian based on his use of Serbo-Croat, but given that he was from a very rural area where Kajkavian dominated, it's most likely that the CIA were simply unfamiliar with the fact that he didn't speak Shtokavian natively. His mother (if I remember rightly...) was Slovene too, so it's quite understandable that his speech in what would be his third language was not the same as a real native speaker.

101 said:
While the Bosnian war was going on, the impression one got from the news was that, although things were complicated, the siege of Sarajevo was largley a case of Serbs outside the city besieging non-Serbs inside it. However, I read more recently that a large number of Serbs remained there throughout the war and then left afterwards. One might think that either they and their non-Serb neighbours would have seen each other as the enemy and they would have left or been driven out much sooner, or that they would have developed some fellow-feeling with their neighbours through suffering the siege together and have wanted to stay. Can you shed any light on this? (I'm sure it's more complicated than outsiders might think).

I'll make a separate post on this issue, because it's an interesting one. The main point is that yes, some Serbs did stay behind and fight for the Bosnian Army. The most famous is General Divjak - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jovan_Divjak - who absolutely embraced the defence of Sarajevo and the operations of the Bosnian Army. They completely wasted his talent, because they were too busy looking at his ethnicity rather than the fact that he was one of the very few professionally-trained commanders within the army.

181 said:
Do you know how well the different communities get on in the Brčko district?

Rather well, although it's said that the real reason is because Brčko is a hotbed of smuggling activities (the infamous Arizona Market is there), and the international community tolerates it so that they can show the District as a success story. It is well governed, and there are few tensions there to the best of my knowledge.

Following up from this post yesterday:

181 said:

This is where it gets very, very complicated. There were many mixed marriages in Sarajevo, and the Sarajevo identity (the 'Sarajliji' if I have my grammar right...) was incredibly strong. They identified more with the city than their nationality, and there are many reports how people would go to mosques and churches for each other's festivities. Anyway, when it was clear that war was going to happen, there were certainly cases of Serbs leaving in the middle of the night. There are plenty of reports that the message was being received by Serbs in the city that it would be best to go now, especially once the Croatian War of Independence started for real, and Serbs were often simply leaving for Serbia.

When the siege started - it was predictably horrible. General Divjak represents the typical fate of a Serb within the Bosniak-held sectors of the city. They were treated with suspicion, and they weren't particularly welcome in the Bosnian Army. There were certainly cases of violence aimed towards them, and there was one notorious criminal in Sarajevo (I've forgotten his name) who definitely went after Serbs in some way. However, most of them were simply left alone and treated as any other Sarajevan.

The ethnic cleansing of Serbs from Sarajevo actually happened after the war. The areas of Sarajevo under control of the Republika Srpska (such as Grbavica, where many of the snipers operated from during the war) suffered from ethnic cleansing carried out by the RS forces between Dayton and the date of the handover to the Federation (1st March 1996) - RS forces went from door to door, effectively forcing people out of their homes and setting fire to buildings.

There's a good article here about it - https://apnews.com/article/7e012f8aa4a3b590cabfe415eb072f7f - they clearly wanted to empty Sarajevo of Serbs before the handover. The new districts built after the war in East Sarajevo (such as in Lukavica) are a consequence of this. I cannot make sense of why they were forcing Serbs out of their homes, and some of the pictures you see from the war are actually from Grbavica in 1996.

Of course, there were other issues - some apartments were occupied by people who had taken them after their Bosniak/Croat occupiers had been forced out. What makes it even worse is that the Bosniak/Croat political leaders had made it clear that they were welcome to stay in Sarajevo, and that there was clearly no intention on their part to harass Serb residents of the city once the city came fully under control of the Federation of Bosnia-Hercegovina. It was purely political propaganda on the part of the RS leadership, who wanted to simultaneously increase the (Serb) population of the RS while being able to point at the FBiH as "Bosniak-Croat". Having 50,000 (or more!) Serbs in Sarajevo wouldn't have helped with that particular piece of propaganda.

One other point: men of military age simply couldn't leave Sarajevo as well. It wasn't just the case that they were in grave danger by entering Serb-held territory, but also because the Bosnian Army wouldn't let them leave.

The more I write about this stuff, the more it seems incredible that it was happening in the mid 1990's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.