Bosnian Steam

Richard Scott

Established Member
Hoping to go to Bosnia in a few weeks to try and track down remaining steam workings (hoping they still run, if not be hunting out 661 diesels). We're hiring a car so would anyone know if any good locations where I could see these workings? Also any locations where the 661s work would also be useful.
Many thanks in advance.
Realised this may have been better in the trip planning section if mods wish to move, sorry!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

littledude

They work(ed) in the Lukavac/Tuzla area out of the coal mines

Whether they still do or not, I can’t be sure. I’d be keen to know, though! It’s very much on my radar!

Cheers,
Tom

Have you looked at https://www.internationalsteam.co.uk/europe.htm#Bosnia? It's a bit of a jumble, and you may have to read through quite a lot of it to find all the information you need, but there is quite a lot there. It would be good if you could send the site a report of what you find, for the benefit of future visitors.

Post #5 in this thread indicates that steam is still active in Bosnia.

I visited (without a car) in 2012 and again in 2013 (there are a couple of my reports on the internationalsteam site); feel free to ask if you think I might be able to help with any questions, but bear in mind that my latest visit was 8 years ago.

Here (if I've got the links right) are Google satellite images of some of the sites (zoom out to see the context):

Bukinje works. When I visited I was given a guided tour for 25 euros.
Dubrave colliery sidings. Reasonable views from publicly accessible places, I seem to remember, and on one occasion I was able to pay the staff to get in for a short visit.
Sikulje colliery. I found that views of the sidings from outside the site were somewhat limited, and wasn't able to get in.
Oskova. I got in by asking in the office in Banovici and being given a (free) guided tour, but I think others have reported being able to walk or drive in. I don't know how good the views are from outside the site.
Banovici. Narrow-gauge depot at upper left; mining company HQ (to which I was directed) lower right of centre, labelled 'Rudnik mrkogi uglja Banovici'.

My understanding is that steam is now (a change since my visits) confined to shunting at Dubrave, Sikulje and (sometimes) Oskova, and no longer runs to main line exchange sidings, although if a narrow gauge locomotive is in use, I'd guess (no more than a guess) that it might run under its own steam to get from Banovici to Oskova to take up its duties, and vice versa.

Unless anyone knows otherwise, I think use of class 62 0-6-0s (think of the Southern Railway's 'USA' class) at Durdevik not far from Banovici and Dubrave, and at Zenica and Breza a considerable distance away towards Sarajevo, has now ceased.

I can't tell you much about the class 661 diesels, I'm afraid, although I think I saw a few on freight trains around Tuzla, so you might find them bringing trains in and out of the sites mentioned above.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Have you looked at https://www.internationalsteam.co.uk/europe.htm#Bosnia? It's a bit of a jumble, and you may have to read through quite a lot of it to find all the information you need, but there is quite a lot there. It would be good if you could send the site a report of what you find, for the benefit of future visitors.

Post #5 in this thread indicates that steam is still active in Bosnia.

I visited (without a car) in 2012 and again in 2013 (there are a couple of my reports on the internationalsteam site); feel free to ask if you think I might be able to help with any questions, but bear in mind that my latest visit was 8 years ago.

Here (if I've got the links right) are Google satellite images of some of the sites (zoom out to see the context):

Bukinje works. When I visited I was given a guided tour for 25 euros.
Dubrave colliery sidings. Reasonable views from publicly accessible places, I seem to remember, and on one occasion I was able to pay the staff to get in for a short visit.
Sikulje colliery. I found that views of the sidings from outside the site were somewhat limited, and wasn't able to get in.
Oskova. I got in by asking in the office in Banovici and being given a (free) guided tour, but I think others have reported being able to walk or drive in. I don't know how good the views are from outside the site.
Banovici. Narrow-gauge depot at upper left; mining company HQ (to which I was directed) lower right of centre, labelled 'Rudnik mrkogi uglja Banovici'.

My understanding is that steam is now (a change since my visits) confined to shunting at Dubrave, Sikulje and (sometimes) Oskova, and no longer runs to main line exchange sidings, although if a narrow gauge locomotive is in use, I'd guess (no more than a guess) that it might run under its own steam to get from Banovici to Oskova to take up its duties, and vice versa.

Unless anyone knows otherwise, I think use of class 62 0-6-0s (think of the Southern Railway's 'USA' class) at Durdevik not far from Banovici and Dubrave, and at Zenica and Breza a considerable distance away towards Sarajevo, has now ceased.

I can't tell you much about the class 661 diesels, I'm afraid, although I think I saw a few on freight trains around Tuzla, so you might find them bringing trains in and out of the sites mentioned above.
Thanks very much, I'll take a look at all that. Will report back on what I find (or don't find!).

EuroRail

I visited Bosnia in 2015 and 2016, but this was as a participant in two small group tours (Linesiding Tours - John Raby). http://www.rabylee.uk/linesidingindex.html We had organised access to the loading points at Dubrave and Sikulje on both occasions - personally I found Sikulje the more photogenic of the two loading points and the activity easier to photograph. John organised a more recent trip in 2018 and you can find the reports here: http://www.rabylee.uk/bosnia2018.html
The only potential working USA class 62 is at Oskova as one of the two standby steam locos. I think all others that survive at mines are dumped. We saw one steaming at Durdevik in 2015, but this was a charter and there were no wagons - coal was going out by road.
There is a stabling point just outside Tuzla where you might find class 661 diesels in between duties, mainly to the power station although we spotted one (in 2016) going into and out of the Salt factory. Now of course, they run up the lines to Dubrave and Sikulje to drop off empties and pick up fulls. Lukavac is a reasonably photogenic location (fulls from Sikulje) and if you are lucky, you might see the Soda Factory diesel shunter bringing out some wagons, plus of course there is the odd passenger train - when I was there, an elderly dmu or loco and one or two carriages.
If your transport interests are broader than trains, Sarajevo has ordered some new trams from Stadler, so I guess any older trams (or the secondhand ones) will disappear soon.
It will be interesting to hear what you find on your trip.
Nigel

Richard Scott

Established Member
I visited Bosnia in 2015 and 2016, but this was as a participant in two small group tours (Linesiding Tours - John Raby). http://www.rabylee.uk/linesidingindex.html We had organised access to the loading points at Dubrave and Sikulje on both occasions - personally I found Sikulje the more photogenic of the two loading points and the activity easier to photograph. John organised a more recent trip in 2018 and you can find the reports here: http://www.rabylee.uk/bosnia2018.html
The only potential working USA class 62 is at Oskova as one of the two standby steam locos. I think all others that survive at mines are dumped. We saw one steaming at Durdevik in 2015, but this was a charter and there were no wagons - coal was going out by road.
There is a stabling point just outside Tuzla where you might find class 661 diesels in between duties, mainly to the power station although we spotted one (in 2016) going into and out of the Salt factory. Now of course, they run up the lines to Dubrave and Sikulje to drop off empties and pick up fulls. Lukavac is a reasonably photogenic location (fulls from Sikulje) and if you are lucky, you might see the Soda Factory diesel shunter bringing out some wagons, plus of course there is the odd passenger train - when I was there, an elderly dmu or loco and one or two carriages.
If your transport interests are broader than trains, Sarajevo has ordered some new trams from Stadler, so I guess any older trams (or the secondhand ones) will disappear soon.
It will be interesting to hear what you find on your trip.
Nigel
Thanks Nigel.
Any info is appreciated as we're effectively running blind never having been there before. We'd like to see the steam but won't be considering the trip a failure if all we see are 661s, especially if hauling some decent coal trains!!
We're staying in Sarajevo so will also be interested in seeing the trams. We're also planning day trip to Mostar on the train as somewhere I want to visit.

plus of course there is the odd passenger train - when I was there, an elderly dmu or loco and one or two carriages.
Sadly the current European Rail Timetable shows no trains to or from Tuzla -- the trains from Doboj all seem to terminate at Petrovo Novo, before the boundary between the Serb and Bosniak/Croat parts of Bosnia. I don't know how permanent this situation is, but in Bosnia reductions in passenger services seem more common than increases.
We're also planning day trip to Mostar on the train as somewhere I want to visit.
And a very scenic train journey, as you may know. (Although it's likely to be dark on the way back, so make the most of the outward journey!)

Cowley

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
General Discussion
Railtours & Preservation
Modelling & Games
Thanks Nigel.
Any info is appreciated as we're effectively running blind never having been there before. We'd like to see the steam but won't be considering the trip a failure if all we see are 661s, especially if hauling some decent coal trains!!
We're staying in Sarajevo so will also be interested in seeing the trams. We're also planning day trip to Mostar on the train as somewhere I want to visit.

Could you let us know how this goes please Richard? I’d be very interested to hear about what you find.