• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bought Advance single, now need a Return

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If someone has bought an Advance single (for lets say £9) and only wanted to go one-way, but due to a railtour being re-timed, they now want a return, would a nice ticket clerk let them excess their ticket to an Off Peak Return (which lets say costs £16)?

I know what you're going to say "but that's a change of travel plans, so the £10 admin fee applies" but the customer is happy to remain tied to the train they originally bought the Advance ticket.

Is it at all possible? Are there any TOCs who would do this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

calc7

Established Member
Virgin Trains have often waived the discretionary £10 fee for me (and I have seen this mentioned in some internal documents I am privy to).

Northern might do it just because they are nice. :D

Other than that, it's a case of shopping around!

barrykas

Established Member
This is covered in the Advance Ticket FAQs that were posted here some time ago:

Q15 – A customer holds a Standard Advance Single from station A to station B, but no return ticket. Can they upgrade it to a Super Off-Peak Return by paying the difference plus £10.00 fee?

A: Yes - maximum flexibility for the ticket holder before the booked train departs.

Cheers,

Barry

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
When are they traveling?

Friday.

Barry - Thanks. Yes, I am aware the rules have to say the £10 admin fee should officially be charged, but I'm more interested in whether companies will show discretion in a case like this. It's good to hear some do. So it's a question of 'shopping around', but perhaps not at this short notice.

(and if not, is there anyone driving back from Huddersfield to York after the Retro Railtour on Saturday? ;) It is no longer calling at York on the return due to Network Rail commitments to Scotrail resulting in the tour being diverted to Stirling! PM me if so)

Oscar

Fares Advisor
Why not just buy an £8.50 Advance coming back on Saturday evening if you're not going to be able to shop around? It's only £1.50 more.

Status
Not open for further replies.