• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Boulogne - Milan motorail 1970's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Czesziafan

Looking through an old continental Motorail timetable from 1976 I notice a service from Boulogne to Milan and return. Does anyone know what route this took across France please? Did it head to Paris and the ceinture to get from the Nord main line to the PLM or did it meander along eastern France towards the Swiss border?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
My 1974 Cooks shows this train conveying a restaurant car from Boulogne to Dole, and I also note an intermediate call at Lille (Seclin) attaching Couchettes (and more cars).

From Lille to Dole the most likely option would appear to be round Paris on the Grande Ceinture (Petite Ceinture tended to be for moves between Paris termini) thence via PLM to Dijon, although a cross country route to Dijon could be a possibility via Reims. Routing via Dole points to an onward route via Lausanne and Brig and Simplon.

Czesziafan

Thanks. That is most helpful. It was a long journey - some 15 1/2 hours. That must have been uncomfortable in a 6 berth couchette but tolerable in a WL sleeper.

DerekC

Established Member
I recall travelling in a Motorail train in 1966 from Turin (I think, that's certainly where I had been staying) to Boulogne, but I am afraid I don't recall the route.

Status
Not open for further replies.