• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Boundary Zone 6 - Esher Excess ticket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilo37

Hello

1st post on forum!

On 19 May I will be attending the toy fair at Sandown park near to Esher station. I will be travelling from Manchester on Virgin's Day Travel Card ticket but this is only valid as far as zone 6 and Esher is one station outside this. My initial thought was to just get off the train at Surbiton in zone 6, a chance to stretch legs round station etc and then get a return ticket Surbiton to Esher. However, I have seen reference on the forum to Boundary Zone Excess tickets which I am not very familiar with. Can anyone advise if this would be a better option for me and explain what I ask for when I come to buy it?
I will be getting the 7:15 train from Manchester Picc and National Rail journey planner advises me to get the tube from Euston to Vauxhall and then a train from there to Surbiton and/or Esher.

thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Not sure what Epsom has to do with it?

But yes - before you leave Waterloo, go to the ticket office and ask for a return from Boundary Zone 6 to Esher.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Yes, ask for a ticket from 'Boundary Zone Six' to Esher - you could ask at any ticket office in the country, so you could at Picadilly before leaving Manchester (they might need the code for BZ6 which is 0072 - they enter this in the from field) or ask the Train Manager on your pendo up to London, there will be plenty of options available to you :smile:

TP

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm guessing the title is meant to refer to Esher instead of Epsom, so I will change the title.

Boundary Zone 6 - Esher
CDR £3.40
SDR £4.40

Surbiton - Esher
CDR £3.40
SDR £4.40

In this case the fare is the same. For a Day Travelcard holder, the Boundary Zone 6 ticket has the advantage (if it is one!) that trains do not need to call at Surbiton. There may be some peak trains that do not call there but the general weekend and off-peak pattern is that they all do (these are the Woking semi-fasts or whatever you want to call them!)

Boundary Zone 6 tickets can only be bought from ticket offices (or potentially from guards; if the guard from Manchester is willing! the origin code is 0072 if that helps!) however the Surbiton ticket could also be bought online.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Just had a thought... have you got a railcard? You can get the discount on these BZ extensions.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
If you want to save the pennies, you could get the bus (K3, maybe others too) from Surbiton to Esher, which would be free with your Travelcard (there are no zones for the buses). Would take around 30 mins though!

johnnychips

Established Member
But do buy the ticket before you board the Esher train. I assumed you could buy an extension from the guard like you usually can on NR or TPE. Before I went to Windsor I was glad I checked with this forum in advance, as two burly RPOs boarded the Windsor train at Staines in the beyond boundary 6 area!

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
But do buy the ticket before you board the Esher train. I assumed you could buy an extension from the guard like you usually can on NR or TPE. Before I went to Windsor I was glad I checked with this forum in advance, as two burly RPOs boarded the Windsor train at Staines in the beyond boundary 6 area!

Yes, you'll have to buy it before you board or you'll be liable for a penalty fare (or worse). You won't have an opportunity to buy on board.

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Yes, you'll have to buy it before you board or you'll be liable for a penalty fare (or worse). You won't have an opportunity to buy on board.

Unless you experience the rare occasion that a commercial guard is onboard a suburban SWT service :lol: Seriously though I echo what LexyBoy has said, buy it before travelling, any ticket office can sell the boundary zone ticket so it can be purchased wherever is the most convenient!

Urban Gateline

Established Member
And makes it through the train before Surbiton!

True, they wouldn't normally as the most fruitful time for checking seems to be when outside the Oyster boundary as there are many unbarriered stations along that route!

Lilo37

Hi everyone, sorry for late reply.

Thanks to all the posters, I'm now clearer on what to ask for. Sorry for confusing everyone with mentioning Epsom, don't know where my brain got that from!

34D

Established Member
If you want to save the pennies, you could get the bus (K3, maybe others too) from Surbiton to Esher, which would be free with your Travelcard (there are no zones for the buses). Would take around 30 mins though!

Buses are still 'zoned' for internal purposes, though it doesn't affect the public.

However, there were some recent changes to oyster bus acceptance on some routes (as formerly operated under a London local service agreement) and I'm not 100% sure whether TfL buses outside the zones still allow oyster - I think they do but others can confirm

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Buses are still 'zoned' for internal purposes, though it doesn't affect the public.

Interesting - could you explain a bit more?

However, there were some recent changes to oyster bus acceptance on some routes (as formerly operated under a London local service agreement) and I'm not 100% sure whether TfL buses outside the zones still allow oyster - I think they do but others can confirm

I know some services which were jointly run with TfL or had an agreement to accept Oyster no longer accept Oyster, but I'm pretty sure all TfL buses outside the zones still accept Oyster. I have certainly used Oyster on buses (the K3 in fact) outside the Z6 boundary within the last month.

From TfL's "Where you can use Oyster" page:
Buses and trams

roundel-small-buses.gif
All buses in and just outside London showing this symbol and trams.

Although confusingly on the "Fares" page:
Travelcards
* Use Travelcards on buses in all zones
...but I think they're just trying to be concise here. (Actually, surely this is incorrect as some non-TfL bus services run into places within Z6, and I don't think they accept Travelcards).

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
... whether TfL buses outside the zones still allow oyster - I think they do but others can confirm

Some do, but there have been some changes in places. The Bluewater buses (96, 428 and 492) definitely still do.

Status
Not open for further replies.