• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Boundary Zone 6 to Brighton

Status
Not open for further replies.

EABowden

Sorry if this is a duplicate, but the previous threads seem to be closed.

I have a gold card covering zones 1-6 from HPD, and want to go to Brighton at lunchtime today. Single fare with GC discount from ECR is £10.35, but I'd have expected a BZ6 fare to be cheaper given East Croydon is in zone 5.

So am I doing something wrong here?
http://www.brfares.com/#!fares?orig=0072&dest=BTN&rlc=NGC

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member

I have a gold card covering zones 1-6 from HPD, and want to go to Brighton at lunchtime today. Single fare with GC discount from ECR is £10.35, but I'd have expected a BZ6 fare to be cheaper given East Croydon is in zone 5.

No, you're comparing different routed fares - "Thameslink only" vs "Any Permitted". However, there is currently recognised ticket acceptance in place between all GTR brands, so you should have no issues using a "Thameslink" ticket on Southern or Gatwick Express branded seevices. Even if this ticket acceptance were not in place, you would still be permitted to do so, for a variety of complicated reasons, but it is possible some staff may incorrectly refuse you access to the platforms or that RPIs incorrectly reject your ticket.

In any case, as you have a Travelcard you don't have to take a train that stops at East Croydon.

Last edited:

Haywain

Veteran Member
Yes! You are comparing a 'Thameslink Only' routed ticket from East Croydon with an unrestricted 'Any Permitted' ticket from Boundary Zone 6. The 'Any Permitted' ticket from East Croydon is the same price as BZ6.

EABowden

Thanks both, so the answer is this is the cheapest fare, despite there being other stations further south that my train will pass through, such as Purley.

mmh

Established Member
Just in case you hadn't seen, it's worth noting that the TOC/brand-specific restrictions are currently removed, so you may as well buy whichever is the cheapest.

https://www.thameslinkrailway.com/travel-information/plan-your-journey/timetable-information

Valid ‘Thameslink Only’, ‘Southern Only’ and ‘Not Gatwick Express’ routed season, single and return tickets can be used on any Gatwick Express, Southern or Thameslink train service at all times until further notice.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

The boundary zone fares on the Brighton mainline are skewed because the last station that most trains stop at is in zone 5. It's always been that way.

Always worth checking whether a split at GTW is cheaper rather than buy a Boundary Zone 6 fare, ie. ECR to GTW and GTW to BTN. This is because ECR to GTW is very low price, particularly if you get a 'Thameslink only' fare (which, as noted above, is currently actually valid on SN as well...)

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
which, as noted above, is currently actually valid on SN as well
I hope I'm not opening the can of worms too much here, but it's not just currently that it's valid on Southern branded services - it's just that this validity is currently officially recognised.

This may of course, for some journeys, differ from the validity which can practically speaking be used - e.g. I am reliably informed that the Platform 13/14 barriers at London Victoria don't usually let people with "Southern only" or similar tickets through, despite their validity.

Nick66

On a not totally unrelated point, if I want to travel to Gatwick with an Oyster Card on which I have a zones 1-8 Travelcard and Gold Card discount would I be charged from BZ8 or East Croydon? Would I be better off buying a ticket from East Croydon to Gatwick or just using my Oyster?

Status
Not open for further replies.