• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Boundary Zone 6 to Chertsey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robinson

Probably 2 very basic questions here, but thought they would be worth checking.

I'm looking to do a day return from Waterloo to Chertsey on Saturday 14th July (arriving in London from Southampton). As I will already have a zones 1-6 Travelcard for other travel during the day, I won't need a return from Waterloo. Is there a cheap way of going out one way and back the other (in this case, going one way via Surbiton and back via Feltham)?

Second question - if I arrive at Clapham Junction on a Southern super off peak day travelcard, can I then switch there instead of going into Victoria?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

calc7

Established Member
Probably 2 very basic questions here, but thought they would be worth checking.

I'm looking to do a day return from Waterloo to Chertsey on Saturday 14th July (arriving in London from Southampton). As I will already have a zones 1-6 Travelcard for other travel during the day, I won't need a return from Waterloo. Is there a cheap way of going out one way and back the other (in this case, going one way via Surbiton and back via Feltham)?

Second question - if I arrive at Clapham Junction on a Southern super off peak day travelcard, can I then switch there instead of going into Victoria?

The Boundary Zone 6 to Chertsey Off-Peak Day Return, priced at £6.10, serves to extend your travelcard into a return ticket to/from Chertsey. If no routeing restrictions are listed on the ticket, then you may take any permitted route to/from Chertsey. As both tickets are zonal, Condition 19 of the NRCoC says you don't need to worry about where the train stops.

Your travelcard is valid on any train within the zones, so you can switch at CLJ to take any train to Victoria or Waterloo.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
How to determine permitted routes between Boundary Zone 6 and the destination station is not defined, and there are a number of interpretations available.

If your intended journey is London Waterloo - Chertsey then let us have a look at permitted routes between them.

Chertsey has four associated routeing points: Ascot, Staines, Surbiton and Woking.

Staines and Surbiton both pass fares check.

This would mean that you are permitted to travel London Waterloo - Clapham Junction - Surbiton - Weybridge - Chertsey or London Waterloo - Clapham Junction - Feltham - Staines - Virginia Water - Chertsey.

I believe this is a reasonable interpretation and I doubt that any guard would refuse to accept the Boundary Zone ticket on either of the routes, as they would both be considered "reasonable".

Robinson

The Boundary Zone 6 to Chertsey Off-Peak Day Return, priced at £6.10, serves to extend your travelcard into a return ticket to/from Chertsey. If no routeing restrictions are listed on the ticket, then you may take any permitted route to/from Chertsey. As both tickets are zonal, Condition 19 of the NRCoC says you don't need to worry about where the train stops.

Your travelcard is valid on any train within the zones, so you can switch at CLJ to take any train to Victoria or Waterloo.

Thanks; I had a feeling there was a Boundary Zone 6 ticket but couldn't find it on any operator's search engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.