• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Boundary Zone 6 to Gatwick Airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

A60K

Maybe I am being dense, but my brain hurts. What are the rules on using a Boundary Zone 6 to Gatwick Airport ticket extension on the various train operators' services?

On the basis that I already hold an All Zones Travelcard, the Boundary Zone 6 to Gatwick Airport CDR prices are:
Any Permitted - £6.50
Not Gatwick Exp - £6.90
Puzzle 1: If 'Any Permitted' is as it says, and the printed ticket does not exclude Gatwick Express services, why are the tickets priced as this?

Next, what if I use a Network Railcard? The CDR prices are then:
Any Permitted - £4.30
Not Gatwick Exp - £4.55
Puzzle 2: Network Railcard discounted tickets are, as I understand it, not valid on Gatwick Express between Victoria and Gatwick (even with the merger into the Southern franchise). Why then have the explicit 'Not Gatwick Exp' routing which implies that the other ticket is valid on GEx?

Finally, a supplementary - the cost of Coulsdon South to Gatwick Airport CDRs with Network Railcard:
Direct - £4.30
Any Permitted - £4.50
Puzzle 3: What's the difference between 'Direct' and 'Any Permitted'?

Any answers gratefully received - sorry if I've spoilt your evening :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

clagmonster

Established Member
3) Coulsdon Sth routing points Croydon group and Redhill Group.
Gatwick is a routing point.
Croydon-Gatwick CDR £4.95 > £4.50, therefore Croydon is not an appropriate routing point.
Redhill-Gatwick CDR £2.10, < £4.50 therefore Redhill is an appropriate routing point.
Redhill-Gatwick, the only routing permission is map SC.
This only allows Redhill-Gatwick direct, plus thr sgortest route Coulsdon-Redhill, which is obviously straight down the main line. I can't see any relevent easements, so both tickets both have exactly the same permitted routes.

John @ home

Established Member
This only allows Redhill-Gatwick direct, plus thr sgortest route Coulsdon-Redhill, which is obviously straight down the main line. I can't see any relevent easements, so both tickets both have exactly the same permitted routes.

What about the Quarry line avoiding Redhill?

clagmonster

Established Member
Coulsdon South only has platforms on the Redhill lines. To go via the Quarry lines you would have to go to Purley, which wouldn't be valid.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Maybe I am being dense, but my brain hurts. What are the rules on using a Boundary Zone 6 to Gatwick Airport ticket extension on the various train operators' services?

On the basis that I already hold an All Zones Travelcard, the Boundary Zone 6 to Gatwick Airport CDR prices are:
Any Permitted - £6.50
Not Gatwick Exp - £6.90
Puzzle 1: If 'Any Permitted' is as it says, and the printed ticket does not exclude Gatwick Express services, why are the tickets priced as this?

Next, what if I use a Network Railcard? The CDR prices are then:
Any Permitted - £4.30
Not Gatwick Exp - £4.55
Puzzle 2: Network Railcard discounted tickets are, as I understand it, not valid on Gatwick Express between Victoria and Gatwick (even with the merger into the Southern franchise). Why then have the explicit 'Not Gatwick Exp' routing which implies that the other ticket is valid on GEx?....

As far as I am aware, the 'Any Permitted' fare is valid on Gatwick Express (unless discounted by a Newtork Railcard). Given that the fares for both routeings are currently set by Southern, I have no idea why there is a more expensive 'Not Gatwick Exp' fare, perhaps an oversight on their part. Was the 'Any Permitted' fare previously set by Gatwick Express?

The Network Railcard simply gives a discount on fares that already exist so even though there would be no difference between a discounted 'Any Permitted' and 'Not Gatwick Exp' ticket they can't just discard one.

tannedfrog

The cost of an Off Peak Return from East Croydon using First Capital Connect only is £5.60, which is lower than the BZ6 tickets shown above

Does anyone know how I can find out up to date Boundary Zone prices, other than asking in a ticket office?

Many thanks

John @ home

Established Member
Does anyone know how I can find out up to date Boundary Zone prices, other than asking in a ticket office?
They're available on the National Fares Manual NFM 06 CD. Use codes:

0041 = BOUNDARY ZONE 2
0042 = BOUNDARY ZONE 3
0043 = BOUNDARY ZONE 4
0044 = BOUNDARY ZONE 5
0072 = BOUNDARY ZONE 6

barrykas

Established Member
Other than the prices (though I see that the Anytime Day Singles and Off-Peak Day Returns are the same price for both routes, and the Any Permitted Anytime Day Return is cheaper than the Not Gatwick Express one!) is that the Boundary Zone x - Gatwick route Any Permitted tickets offer a First and Standard Anytime Return option, whereas the Not Gatwick Express route only offers Day Returns.

Cheers,

Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.