• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Boundary Zone 6 to Gatwick Airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyesbkz

If I buy the £3.25 Anytime Day Single from Boundary Zone 6 to Gatwick Airport, can I (easily) use this and my travelcard on the Gatwick Express?

Note that it has route Any Permitted (unlike similar questions I have found in previous posts when searching).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Yes, it is perfectly valid, provided that your Travelcard is for zones 1-6

sonic2009

Established Member
Not if your ticket is discounted with a Network Railcard, a Network Railcard discount is not available for journeys on Gatwick Express.

You haven't mentioned which railcard you have as the £3.25 fare is discounted with a railcard from the usual £4.90 non-railcard fare.

Last edited:

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Freedom Passes aren't valid on Southern services branded "Gatwick Express" between Victoria and Gatwick Airport either (nor on Heathrow Connect between Hayes & Harlington and Heathrow, or Heathrow Express, or Southeastern High Speed to/from St Pancras and Stratford International).

Last edited:

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Not if your ticket is discounted with a Network Railcard, a Network Railcard discount is not available for journeys on Gatwick Express.

I learnt something new.

Anyway, the OP's link to BRFares is for a Y-P discounted ticket, so my bet is on the discount being a Y-P

lyesbkz

Is is possible to do this the other way round at all?

My question is probably, “if I already have a Z1-6 travelcard, what is the best ticket to buy to get me from Gatwick Airport to London”.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Yes it is possible in the other direction.

The FCC ONLY single fare is £2.95 to East Croydon.

Searle

Established Member
I did exactly what the OP did on Saturday, the person at the gateline smiled at it and let me through, so I wouldn't expect any problems :D

island

Veteran Member
Is is possible to do this the other way round at all?

My question is probably, “if I already have a Z1-6 travelcard, what is the best ticket to buy to get me from Gatwick Airport to London”.

Gatwick Airport to Croydon Stations route FCC ONLY.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
How about via the Express?
Southern's services branded Gatwick Express typically don't call at East Croydon, so you'd need a ticket to Boundary Zone 6 (0072).

Unless, of course, your Travelcard is a Season ticket, in which case the ticket could be to a named station within the Zones (e.g. East Croydon) without any requirement for the train to call.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
How otherwise would you get home? :D
It's a single from Gatwick Airport, rather than the return portion of a ticket from Boundary Zone 6.

In fact, a few years ago, it was only possible to purchase tickets with an origin of Boundary Zone 6. I am not sure when this change occurred.

island

Veteran Member
It's a single from Gatwick Airport, rather than the return portion of a ticket from Boundary Zone 6.

In fact, a few years ago, it was only possible to purchase tickets with an origin of Boundary Zone 6. I am not sure when this change occurred.

NFM09 I believe.

lyesbkz

I'm not having much luck here. I tried to buy a Gatwick airport to BZ6 at the airport and they will only sell me Gatwick Airport to Coulsdon South! I am taking the express after platform staff confirmed that I could. Gatwick said they had to sell Coulsdon South because a BZ6 would come up as £10. What is going on?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Perhaps there are local instructions for using Coulsdon South as an unofficial hack for the bug within the TIS in relation to Boundary Zone fares. I don't know why the price is coming up incorrectly. It is good that you didn't experience any inconvenience in your travels.

Perhaps worth asking Southern to investigate.

lyesbkz

Perhaps there are local instructions for using Coulsdon South as an unofficial hack for the bug within the TIS in relation to Boundary Zone fares. I don't know why the price is coming up incorrectly. It is good that you didn't experience any inconvenience in your travels.

Perhaps worth asking Southern to investigate.

I did get in touch with them and only now have received a reply to my 'escalated query'.

The Ticket Office issued the correct ticket. The Fares Manual advises to issue to the nearest station within the zones of the ticket. However, you also could have been advised to buy a ticket to East Croydon as it is the same price.

If a customer holds a one day travel card and requests a ticket to the boundary, we must issue a ticket to a station within the one day area of their ticket.

For example, Zones 1-6 -Coulsdon South. The train must stop at Coulsdon South

If a customer holds a 7 day or longer Travel card, then we must still issue a ticket to the first station within the area. However, there is no need for the train to stop at this station.

The fares to the boundary stations were for the onboard Gatwick staff to sell. There is a fare to Boundary 6 at the same fare as Coulsdon South but if we sold it in conjunction with a One day Travel card there still would be the requirement for the train to stop at Coulsdon South.

I'm not sure I have understood this yet! Perhaps I'm missing the obvious?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Oh dear! I'm struggling to find more than one sentence in that that hasn't got an error in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.