• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Boundary Zone Ticket to East Croydon (but starting from within London Zone 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

[.n]

I'd like to know whether or not I'm correct before I write a complaint letter (or conversely an apology letter!).

Relevant Information
I have a Zone1-2 Travelcard and a 16-25 Railcard
I travelled from West Brompton (WBP) to East Croydon (ECR) (and because of the time I took the train, this meant changing at Clapham Junction (CLJ) rather than taking one of the direct trains)
When I was at WBP (having actually starred my journey at either High Street Ken or Earls Court), I had a little wander around and in my wanderings actually did exit the station coming back in again to the Ticket Hall looking for a Ticket Office or Ticket Machine to purchase a ticket. I eventually confirmed with a member of staff that there was no ticket office or machine capable of selling me my required ticket to East Croydon, but it was okay to pay there, as long as I said I had travelled from WBP.
I duly hopped onto a train, arrived at CLJ on platform 17 (used the tiny cramped staircase up to the bridge, and went over to platform 13 to catch the next train to ECR (if relevant this was following an itinerary that had me arriving at CLJ and leaving for ECR within 9 minutes).
At ECR, I went up the ramp having arrived on platform 3/4 island, turned left towards the excess window (for those who know it its also a side window to the main position number 7 on the main station concourse). Having unsuccessfully tried to get the person in the window 7 to lift the blind and sell me a ticket (she was there, and you can see that, and had the blind to the position open for window 7), went over to the manned wide gate next to WHsmiths and said the excess window was closed (I didn't show any form of ticket) and was blipped out by a member of gateline staff. I then went over to position 7, saying she was closed from the other side but could I have a ticket please.

I requested a Boundary Zone 2 to ECR ticket with a 16-25 Railcard (and showed both). She said that will be £2.90 please from CLJ. I said something along the lines of I think its only £2.50 from BZ2. The reply was we don't sell those from BZ2, I disputed this (having done this on a regular basis). She refused to sell me the requested ticket, we had a very long and slightly heated discussion in which I refused to buy her preferred ticket, inisting on purchasing what I had requested. She kept isnisting I had not paid at CLJ which I had to do as it was my "interchange" station. I spent time trying to explain that NRCOT 6.1 should apply (she would listen as She knew better than me), and wouldn't back down even when I reminded her that it was possible to get a direct train and in that case what would she have charged me, as there wouldn't have been an "interchange" station. She then attempted to pull the Penalty Fare Regs on me (pointing to the "interchange station" paragraph - the one that states buying a ticket/permit to travel "TO" the interchange station, not as she kept saying buying one "AT" the interchange station. I even pointed out that WBP is not a Penalty Fare Station, and even if it was I already had a ticket that covered me to there anyway. I also attempted to get her to issue me with an UPFN if she truly believed that a PF was valid. I tried to speak with a supervisor, but none was apparently available, her colleague at the next window backed her up having been listening to the conversation. I eventually decided to cut my losses after having gone back to gateline staff to see if there was supervisor available, and stated clearly that I was attempting to pay my fare, and that I was now leaving the station without having paid it (perhaps I should also claim Delay Repay, having wasted 30 minutes of my life on this). So i was I right, or was the Ticket Office correct? (I even showed the Ticket Office my ticket from the previous week where I had done the same thing, as it happened to be in my pocket)

I'd like to know, for my peace of mind, as this is a regular journey I do.

I would have spoken to a ticket office supervisor this morning at ECR, but after having successfully purchasing my ticket this morning (ECR to BZ2, with railcard) for £2.50, was the same time as the person hit by a train in between ECR and London Victoria) and therefore it was slightly chaotic and I didn't want to waste their (or my) time.

I know the difference is only 40p but its the principle that matters as that ticket office is always giving incorrect information and refusing to look up ticket restrictions all the time, usually informing me/gateline staff who check with them (incorrectly) I can't travel before 10.30 with my railcard, or my off-peak return isn't valid (when if they checked the restriction code it is), etc. etc.

** Oh for for the inevitable comment about failing the "attitude" test, yes sure I would have done, after the first 5 minutes of the conversation, but not initially, which is what really matters - I clearly knew what ticket I wanted and politely asked for it, showing all the necessary documentation, I went back to the ticket office after having been ignored at the excess window, and been exited by a member of staff at the gateline, I'm sure a lot of people would have just walked out of the station

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
As far as I know the BZ2 to ECR ticket is absolutely valid as long as you have a zone 1-2 travelcard.

But, why are you using paper tickets? Put the zone 1-2 travelcard on an Oyster card and add the railcard discount. You can then pay just £1.60 each time you travel off-peak. Granted it is £3.00 if you touch in between 1600-1900, but on those occasions you could buy the BZ ticket. The other advantage of Oyster is that the railcard discount applies before 0630 and from 0930 rather than 1000.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If anyone is refused the sale of "Boundary Zone" tickets, I am very interested to hear about this.

Yes please do complain and please do let me know how you get on.

gray1404

Established Member
Quite honestly in this situation, having offered to pay the correct fare and been refused, given you had been let out the gateline already I would have walked away and left the station. I certainly would not have let it waste 30 ish minutes of my time when I had made every reasonable attempt to pay the correct fare and been wrongly refused. I do not believe you would be guilty of any ticket offences either in such circumstances.

[.n]

As far as I know the BZ2 to ECR ticket is absolutely valid as long as you have a zone 1-2 travelcard.

But, why are you using paper tickets? Put the zone 1-2 travelcard on an Oyster card and add the railcard discount. You can then pay just £1.60 each time you travel off-peak. Granted it is £3.00 if you touch in between 1600-1900, but on those occasions you could buy the BZ ticket. The other advantage of Oyster is that the railcard discount applies before 0630 and from 0930 rather than 1000.

I find the paper ticket more convenient, mainly because 1) I buy it either from my guard or my local SWR, (nowhere near London) ticket office, 2) Its part of a my normal daily journey with another ticket, and 3) up until recently I don't think Oyster was valid on my train service (it maybe now, I'll have to listen to the announcements)

I do have a PAYG Oyster with my railcard loaded onto it. As a non Oyster card user in general I had forgotten that paper tickets are more expensive

Quite honestly in this situation, having offered to pay the correct fare and been refused, given you had been let out the gateline already I would have walked away and left the station. I certainly would not have let it waste 30 ish minutes of my time when I had made every reasonable attempt to pay the correct fare and been wrongly refused. I do not believe you would be guilty of any ticket offences either in such circumstances.

The reason I persevered, is because I do this journey (or a minor variant of it) on a regular basis, and am always having to insist on being sold the correct ticket at ECR. I didn't leave until I had made a really good effort at paying in case I was stopped by BTP or similar for fare evasion.

If anyone is refused the sale of "Boundary Zone" tickets, I am very interested to hear about this.

Yes please do complain and please do let me know how you get on.

Have I as far as you can tell got my major facts correct?

I was entitled to the BZ ticket with railcard at ECR, regardless, as WBP has no ticket facilities, and I didn't have to buy at CLJ.
WBP isn't a Penalty Fare station, so that was completely wrong to suggest anything about that either

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.