• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bournemouth Depot to close, 442s withdrawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexS

Established Member
BOMO is to close in Feb 07 with the withdrawal of the 442s, 458s moving back to Reading, 450s on Pompey directs and 444s to Weymouth. I assume 421s will also disappear. Staff were told on Friday.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member
And why get rid of the 442's? And will anyone take them over?
Only options would be South Eastern, Southern or Merseyrail. Out of those I'm not sure if any would want them. I doubt they'd even have clearence in the Liverpool tunnels so that's a no-no!

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ive heard London to Brighton mentioned

paul1609

Established Member
Please see the archieved meets forum post "442 farewell meet"
A farewell railtour to Ramsgate is under investigation
Apparently the lymington CIGs are safe for the time being!

TheSlash

Established Member
Bournemouth will be like Fratton, no physical changes, but no maintenance done there, just overhauls

paul1609

Established Member
Only options would be South Eastern, Southern or Merseyrail. Out of those I'm not sure if any would want them. I doubt they'd even have clearence in the Liverpool tunnels so that's a no-no!
I think a test run was carried out in 1991 for their new home.
http://www.semg.org.uk/gallery/pics/cd_442413_1.jpg
Alledgedly a Pullman type Belle livery is being considered but i reckon they would look good in green also!

Turbostar

You gotta be kidding! Jeez, another nail in the coffin! What with Eastleigh, & now Bournemouth. Can remember going to the open day yonks ago, in the '90s I think. Soz, been at work all day, so only just picked this story up. :(

Mart

Coxster

Established Member
I'm glad I don't live in Portsmouth. 450s don't even have tables like 444s which can come in useful if you are a buisnessman doing some work on the train or just generally in a group on long journeys like that.

Oracle

Established Member
Question: wil the punters sorry Season Ticket holders, think that they are getting a raw deal with what they may perceive as outer-suburban type stock on their fast trains? I used to go from Swanwick to Waterloo via Havant, as a more pleasurable trip than via Southampton Central. It was noce to be able to get on at Havant on a 442 in the buffet car, buy a coffee or three, and a Danish Pastry and go to work going through nice scenary. And that's the point: apart from the Isle of Wight commuters and those from Pompey, what about those from Havant?

The new service is rather different from the '65 trip from the Harbour I made to Waterloo with parents on a 2 x 4-COR "Nelson"!

paul1609

Established Member
I'm not sure that all Pompey sevices are going to 450s but I understand that some 10 car 444s will be replaced with 12 car 450s because of overcrowding on the Northern part of the route. Ive never seen a 444 buffet used on the Pompey Route.

If your travelling from Swanwick youre better off changing at Barnham and travelling via the Arun valley if you want better Scenery the coffees better than on SWT too!

T

Tom

The 421s will only be a very temporary measure if Bomo closes all routine maintenance, why I hear you ask? Once one of them has gone, none of the chaps there will probably have the knowledge to fix it.

Established Member
The 421s will only be a very temporary measure if Bomo closes all routine maintenance, why I hear you ask? Once one of them has gone, none of the chaps there will probably have the knowledge to fix it.

Send the Slash in to fix it!!

Established Member
Hi guys

Another one of those random posts, me and TC worked a little something out, in the past three years that i have been travlling to me dads, by train, i have had roughly 13300 miles of 442 thrash, this takes into account the odd return trip to waterloo to see me grandparents and also takes into account the fact that duing engierring works some trips might be a 444 or 450, but even still roughly 13,300 miles of 442 halauge aint bad at all!!

Oracle

Established Member
I can understand, as at present, the Haslemere trains need to go to 12-car 450s. I now live 1/4 mile from Ashurst New Forest, so to get to Town we get on a 444 or 442 although with the engineering works recently they were using 450s...a long way! In the past I used to catch a 2x158 from Southampton which was a change from electric traction.

I have not been via the Arun Valley route since, oh, 1995. I take the kids occasionally back from Victoria on the Vic-Southampton which makes a change.

Established Member
Us Pompey supporters stick together. If you dis Slash we will be round to sort you out. I understand outside Farnborough Co-op is your normal hang-out.

Well he wasnt outside it last firday or satruday night when i went passed!! Yes damon i was in ur hood!!!

Harold

So, the closure of Bomo TCD for maintenance is true then :(, also shame to hear about the 442's :(:(, I don't see why they should be rid of after just 18 years in service (Introduced May 1988 - around a year before I was born May 1989). I consider them to be very reliable traction for SWML commuters, getting rid of these legendary pigs will be one of the biggest mistakes SWT have ever encountered.

Status
Not open for further replies.