• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bournemouth P3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle

Established Member
At Bournemouth today the Waterloo-Weymouth came in 133X on P3, and then split. At 1346 the Wemouth-Waterloo came in and then crossed Up to Down and mated up in P3 with the unit left behind. They said that this was a platform alteration...the Virgin was in P2 so I suppose that's why. Is it rare for Up trains to go to P3 these days from the Poole direction in passenger service? P1 Bay was locked off behind gates..first time I've seen that.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChrisM

Platform one is used in the evening.
I have seen platform 3 used a lot,indeed the Virgin ECS from Eastleigh arrives and departs platform 3 in the morning.

Oracle

Established Member
Is it common though for Up trains to cross over using the #-overs west of the station to P3 in service? I cannot imagine why there would be any in service from P4, which is the extension of P3, using the #-over to P2!

ChrisM

Yeah i have seen services from Poole arrive into platform 3,although funny enough none from Weymouth.
A few years ago i saw the Furzebrook freight pass through platform 3 heading for Brockenhurst.
Once i was on a service which passed through platform 3 and stopped at platform 4 to allow a virgin service to enter platform 3 from the sidings although no service was in platform 2.

Tomnick

Established Member
Automotivehistorian said:
Is it common though for Up trains to cross over using the #-overs west of the station to P3 in service? I cannot imagine why there would be any in service from P4, which is the extension of P3, using the #-over to P2!
Could be wrong - but Quail shows no direct route from P4 to P2. There is a crossover in roughly the right place, but that only comes as far south as middle siding 1! Incidentally, the Up Main to Platform 4 crossover west of the station is shown as out-of-use in Quail.

GeoffM

Tomnick said:
Could be wrong - but Quail shows no direct route from P4 to P2. There is a crossover in roughly the right place, but that only comes as far south as middle siding 1! Incidentally, the Up Main to Platform 4 crossover west of the station is shown as out-of-use in Quail.

I think Quail pre-dates Bournemouth re-signalling?

Geoff M.

Tomnick

Established Member
Could be the case Geoff - I wasn't sure whether the resignalling changed the track layout that much. Not a local chap, y'see ;).

Guinness

Established Member
Tomnick said:
Could be the case Geoff - I wasn't sure whether the resignalling changed the track layout that much. Not a local chap, y'see ;).

But you seem to know every other track layout in the country Tom!! ;)

Hentis

Tomnick said:

Hi,

According to my 2004 route map from Soton - Poole, which includes the resignalling bits Tomnick is indeed correct There is no way to get from Platform 4 to 2 with out a few cab chages :)

Cheers

Hentis

GeoffM

Guess I should have looked at a map first - got the platforms mixed up. There is indeed no access from P4 to P2 directly - though it could be done with one cab change.

Now I'm trying desperately to remember something odd I saw in the trackwork while visiting both the old box and the new box a year or two ago! Think it may have been a wide-to-gauge point but not just *any* wide to gauge... maybe siding 2 where the left rail goes to P2 and the right to P3 instead of a "centre" trap...?

Geoff M.

Status
Not open for further replies.