• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bournemouth to Birmingham in May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titfield

Established Member
I need to get from Bmth to Birmingham in May on a Friday day return (ie there and back same day)
Outward on the first train ex Bmth at 0630 as I have to be in Birmingham for 1030.
Return on a train ex Birmingham at C1500 or 1600.
Flexibility on the return journey would be preferred but not essential as I could wait for the later train.
I dont qualify for a railcard.
I have checked on the network rail website and its quoting over £200 return.
Any ideas how to cut the cost?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fairlie

Not sure which Friday you need but I would try trainsplit.com if I were you. On the 7th it was quoting a little over £100 for that journey.

Haywain

Veteran Member
You are probably a bit too early to get cheaper Advance tickets for the journey, but you would also benefit from trying Trainsplit where you could make significant savings. Advance tickets for CrossCountry are only currently available to May 14th, so waiting a week or two would be appropriate if you are travelling later than that.

Nunners

It might also be worth changing at Basingstoke (and also possibly Banbury) to take advantage of SWR and Chiltern's potentially cheaper advance ticket. I know from looking at going to Birmingham from Southampton in April that it was much cheaper for me to do SWR to Basingstoke, Off-Peak Day Return to Banbury and then Banbury to Birmingham advance or day return

FenMan

Established Member
Splitting tickets will save a considerable sum without having to take your chances with XC's often pricey advance tickets.

£32.20 Bournemouth - Basingstoke ANYTIME DAY RETURN
£35.50 Basingstoke - Banbury ANYTIME DAY RETURN - ROUTE NOT VIA LONDON
£24.40 Banbury - Birmingham ANYTIME DAY RETURN - ROUTE VIA LEAMINGTON
£92.10

There is no need to get off the train at the splitting points.

Best to purchase these tickets in good time though, so you have seat reservations.

Status
Not open for further replies.