• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bournemouth to Kew Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titfield

Established Member
I need to go to Kew Bridge for the day travelling in the morning peak on a Wednesday to arrive KB between 0930 and 1000 and to leave there about 16:00.
Any suggestions for the cheapest possible way of doing this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
For the direct route I don't think you will do better than Advance tickets at £52.80 out (0950 arrival) and £29.90 back, booked train only.
(That's Wed 26 May - by 23 June it's only £66.50 return).
The unrestricted Anytime Single is £55, so that's the most you will pay in the morning, and Anytime Day Return £103.90; in both cases "not via London" so change at Clapham Jn.

If you are prepared to go "via Barnham" then Anytime Day Returns are £56.60 to East Croydon and £8.40 thence to Kew Br, £65 in all. No Advance fares. However, that will mean starting 70min earlier... :(

miklcct

On Moderation
I need to go to Kew Bridge for the day travelling in the morning peak on a Wednesday to arrive KB between 0930 and 1000 and to leave there about 16:00.
Any suggestions for the cheapest possible way of doing this?
A search on Trainsplit.com seems that spliting this journey can make a saving compared to the above.

paul1609

Established Member
Anytime day return Bournemouth to Southampton Central £16.50, Anytime day return Southampton Central to Brighton route not via London £39. 50, stopping short at Clapham Junction. Anytime day return Clapham Jnc to Kew Bridge £5.80

Veteran Member
Anytime day return Bournemouth to Southampton Central £16.50, Anytime day return Southampton Central to Brighton route not via London £39. 50, stopping short at Clapham Junction. Anytime day return Clapham Jnc to Kew Bridge £5.80
Sorry I missed that, thanks for the correction.

hkstudent

Established Member
I doubt OP will make it for 10:00 for using via Barnham option.

Actually, Oystercard / Contactless pay-as-you-go from Clapham Junction to Kew Bridge is £2.90 (Peak) and £2.50 (Off-Peak).
If OP touch in at Kew Bridge for return trip before 1600, may be best for OP to use Oystercard / Contactless.

For OP to make it for 09:30 - 10:00 arrival, I would suggest OP to get to Ealing Broadway and change for a TfL Bus 65 (Pretty frequent, £1.55 one way, with bank card / oystercard). 06:30 XC service would do.
Anytime return to Ealing Broadway (via Reading NOT London) is £58.60, it would be cheaper than SWR's ticket to Kew Bridge (£64.20, with multiple ticket-splitting involving Advance ticket).

Last edited:

BrianW

Established Member
Perhaps a hitherto supporter of AFC Bournemouth will be or become more familar with the range and prices of tickets to Kew Green, close by the new home of Brentford FC?
Or maybe an expert on species of pine?
Hope it works out/has worked out ok.

paul1609

Established Member
I doubt OP will make it for 10:00 for using via Barnham option.

Actually, Oystercard / Contactless pay-as-you-go from Clapham Junction to Kew Bridge is £2.90 (Peak) and £2.50 (Off-Peak).
If OP touch in at Kew Bridge for return trip before 1600, may be best for OP to use Oystercard / Contactless.

For OP to make it for 09:30 - 10:00 arrival, I would suggest OP to get to Ealing Broadway and change for a TfL Bus 65 (Pretty frequent, £1.55 one way, with bank card / oystercard). 06:30 XC service would do.
Anytime return to Ealing Broadway (via Reading NOT London) is £58.60, it would be cheaper than SWR's ticket to Kew Bridge (£64.20, with multiple ticket-splitting involving Advance ticket).
The Southampton to Brighton Ticket route not via London I quoted is valid directly to Clapham Junction via Woking.

hkstudent

Established Member
The Southampton to Brighton Ticket route not via London I quoted is valid directly to Clapham Junction via Woking.
Oh, I see. Just checked National Rail Journey Planner. That's valid and really surprising.
Anyway, that Southampton - Brighton ticket is also valid via Kew Bridge (via Weybridge), so no need for an extra ticket from Clapham Junction to Kew Bridge.

Anytime Day Return from Bournemouth to Brighton (not via London) is £47.20, which would cheaper than the split Bournemouth - Southampton - Brighton ticket.

Last edited:

D6975

Established Member
If you travel up on Tues evening, an advance single can be had for as little as £11.30, leaving plenty to spare for overnight accommodation and still coming in cheaper than going up during the morning peak.

hkstudent

Established Member
If you travel up on Tues evening, an advance single can be had for as little as £11.30, leaving plenty to spare for overnight accommodation and still coming in cheaper than going up during the morning peak.
Given that an Anytime return from Bournemouth to Brighton (via Kew Bridge) is £47.20, unless OP can get an accommodation cost less than £23.5 (less a TfL bus journey on the day), that would unlikely be worth it.

Veteran Member
Anytime Day Return from Bournemouth to Brighton (not via London) is £47.20, which would cheaper than the split Bournemouth - Southampton - Brighton ticket.
Indeed so.
...is also valid via Kew Bridge (via Weybridge), so no need for an extra ticket from Clapham Junction to Kew Bridge.
Also true, though I would pay the extra to go via CLJ unless changing at Woking and Weybridge produced a decent length journey.
I would advise a "paper" ticket not Oyster for the last leg as it saves having to touch in at CLJ and potentially having staff query the Brighton ticket. The difference isn't huge!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Indeed so.

Also true, though I would pay the extra to go via CLJ unless changing at Woking and Weybridge produced a decent length journey.
I would advise a "paper" ticket not Oyster for the last leg as it saves having to touch in at CLJ and potentially having staff query the Brighton ticket. The difference isn't huge!

Oyster readers on platform 17 come in handy at Clapham for being able to touch out (or in) without going round the idiotic one way system

Veteran Member
Oyster readers on platform 17 come in handy at Clapham for being able to touch out (or in) without going round the idiotic one way system
...but are rather out of the way when transferring from 7 to 5 :)

Alex365Dash

...but are rather out of the way when transferring from 7 to 5 :)
For touching in (not out), the pink Oyster readers on Platforms 1/2 also do the job just fine (mind you, I haven’t seen the new one-way system so not sure if it avoids it). Still a bit out the way, but not as much as Platform 17!

Status
Not open for further replies.