• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bowes Park Idiot...

Status
Not open for further replies.

This morning I was working 1S09 0900 KGX - GLC. Due to a broken down WAGN unit near Welwyn this service and a couple of others were diverted via the Hertford loop. As I approached Bowes Park some complete tit who didn't look much older than his mid-teens was standing at the bottom of the platform, pretty much in the four foot, with a camera pointed at my train!! Luckily I was running on yellows so I was only do about 40mph or so. A long blast on the horn soon shifted him, although it didn't look like he was going to move until the last second... If I'd been going any faster or the visability had been poorer I might not have seen him. If I hadn't and hadn't sounded the horn, would he have moved or not? It's idiots like this who give the rest of you a bad name. What's to be gained by not standing on the platform? :roll:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jim

Established Member
91119 said:
What's to be gained by not standing on the platform? :roll:

Death, distruction, distress, inconvienence :roll:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I believe 91119 did, for some duration.

He was lucky to survive, as 91119 says he might not have seen him in poor weather.

I can't see why he couldn't have just got a shot from the platform like everyone else would do. It's not like your train was the only train to go that way all day, if he didn't get the shot on your train, he could have got it on another one, so why risk getting smashed by the train and causing problems for everyone?

You will be glad to know it really isn't many of us who'd do something so incredibly stupid 91119, but it's true, he gives us a bad name. I'd want to have some stiff words with him if I ever encounter this chap on the station! Actually, no, I'd have called the BTP to tell them there were trepassers on the line in your situation 91119, if you had time or chance.

FGWFan, taking a zero-tolerance stand on the subject of certain people ruining the scene for the rest of us.

EDIT: What is the BTP's contact number?

Aureol

Established Member
With a spanner in hand in D212's engine room
Julian G said:
Was that person standing behind the yellow line?
Err, 91119 stated that the idiot was practically standing in the four foot, which means that he was near enough between the rails.
He also states that he gave a long hard blast on the horn, which kind of means that he sounded the horn.

FGWFan said:
It's not like your train was the only train to go that way all day, if he didn't get the shot on your train, he could have got it on another one
I don't think he knew about my train being diverted, it was a very spur of the moment decision. I only found out 5 minutes before departing KGX. It's more likely that he was hanging about trying to see something use the reversing siding or something, then saw my train and got a bit excited?

Still no reason for being off the platform though.

FGWFan said:
Actually, no, I'd have called the BTP to tell them there were trepassers on the line in your situation 91119, if you had time or chance.
I called Kings Cross box and reported it, but I doubt they'd have called the BTP. He'd have been long gone by the time they showed up...

Aureol said:
Err, 91119 stated that the idiot was practically standing in the four foot, which means that he was near enough between the rails.
Well technically he was "On or near the line", any closer and he would have been on the four foot though :?

For those who are interested, the terms are given in this document along with some nice diagrams (pages 8 to 11):
http://www.rgsonline.co.uk/docushare/dsweb/Get/Rail-14683/G2.pdf

Please note these are staff documents, so sections such as "Positions of safety" only apply to rail staff going about their business with a valid PTS card.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
On a similar subject..

This afternoon, whilst waiting for a Cardiff bound 153 at Highbridge & Burnham, on the same platform, a young boy (about 5) was looking to see If the train was approaching. Fine, but not when he was literally right at the edge of the platform, well beyond the yellow line. What I was annoyed at was the fact a man seemed to be with him, and he didn't do anything what so ever.

Meanwhile, on the southbound platform, 3 teenagers, 2 on bikes, entered the station. The ideotic cyclists madly cycled to the south end of the platform, and clearly onto the track. If I had the BTP number, I would've defintately informed them.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
http://yorkie.fotopic.net/p26252454.html

These 2 bird-brains used Chadwell Heath down slow platform as a place to play football. They were there for at least 20 minutes (they were not waiting for a train so it appears they believe this is the best place to play football. Mad!).

On two occasions in the 20 min period that we were there, we saw one of them go down onto the track to retrieve the football. On one further occasion they climbed the wall to retrieve it.

Jim

Established Member
yorkie said:

These 2 bird-brains used Chadwell Heath down slow platform as a place to play football. They were there for at least 20 minutes (they were not waiting for a train so it appears they believe this is the best place to play football. Mad!).

On two occasions in the 20 min period that we were there, we saw one of them go down onto the track to retrieve the football. On one further occasion they climbed the wall to retrieve it.

You see a lot of this these days

ChrisA

I was standing at Poole Station once and this teenager came cycling down the steps of the footbridge, veered well over the yellow line nearly knocking me and some old man onto the tracks and 3rd rail.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Whenever I see someone cycling on a platform or concourse I inform them that it's illegal. They normally shout abuse back and I then laugh at them.

A surprising number of them are older men who think I have no right to tell them not to do it, such as at Lichfield Trent Valley. I called him an idiot and embarrased him in front of his fellow commuters :D (who he then nearly knocked down as he was too busy shouting back at me to see where he was going! I wonder if he'll show his face to them by getting that train again ;) ).

Jonno2055

Just like idiots who smoke on the London Underground, they all seem to do it at Kings Cross.

Quite a few examples of idiots here, a few candidates for the Darwin awards :D

Jonno2055 said:
Just like idiots who smoke on the London Underground, they all seem to do it at Kings Cross.
Can't say I've ever seen anyone smoking at Kings Cross underground myself.

Julian G

Established Member
yorkie said:

i hope they are not looking at the post ;)
all we need is an 86 to smash the ball :lol:

Freightliner put an 86 on 4L93 please :lol:

voyagerdude220

Established Member
& it's 4-0 to the 86! With only a minute played- how many more own goals will the bird-brains get?;) :lol:

Hay, wait a minute! They seem to now be developing bird flu! ;)

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Thanks Aureol.

*Update*

With only 5 minutes played, I've lost count of how many goals the 86 has scored..

The ill bird brains are now being substituted by a dodgy wessex 143, which keeps breaking down, when trying to move the football.

O no! The 143, has exploded/evaporated into thin air (yay!) , and the floodlights have broken!

Don't worry though, because I will order a 220 with it's super-bright lights to come along. (And no, the 220 is actually running with all engines running perfectly well)

It will still proove to be an interesting match with the 86 involved.. just wait untill 37s come along ;)

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Well I've done a few hundred miles on them this week, with on-time running achieved, and no faults what so ever. (For the record, units I went on were 221 114 & 221 131)

Edit: There's never a high tide splashing around the Dawlish coast when you need one, is there?

devon_metro

Established Member
voyagerdude220 said:
Edit: There's never a high tide splashing around the Dawlish coast when you need one, is there?

Im surprised they didnt fail last week...

The sea was very rough, trust me ;)

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I know, I did a return journey between Taunton & Penzance on a FGW HST last Wednesday.

I took a fot of the coast as well, but I haven't yet uploaded anything onto my new site about it.

A bit off topic..

On the way back, the TM thought I was smoking, at Camborne station on the train. (Even though i was just looking out of the window to see what the slight hold-up was) He apologised, and explained that he is use to people smoking in the train by the doors. He also realised that I was simply standing in the FC vestibule with a valid FC ticket, and was enjoying the roar of the HST.

Anyone else got accused of smoking by doing something similar to me?

Jim

Established Member
May I point something out here guys. If something is happening infront off you, it is better to call the real poilce, as BTP are bullsh** at attending fast..

RJ

Established Member
Julian G said:
i hope they are not looking at the post ;)
all we need is an 86 to smash the ball :lol:

Freightliner put an 86 on 4L93 please :lol:

You mean 4L97? The service is sometimes run by an 86 or two ;)

Julian G

Established Member
Update
86 is still winning , bird brains manage to win a goal
oh LOOK here's a comes a DVT powering up!! ;)
and the 86 and DVT managed to pair up!!
and yes , oh look an ugly DBSO is coming
and it's 15-2 to the trains :)

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I'm glad someone's kept count! ;)

Julian G said:
Update
86 is still winning , bird brains manage to win a goal
oh LOOK here's a comes a DVT powering up!! ;)
and the 86 and DVT managed to pair up!!
and yes , oh look an ugly DBSO is coming
and it's 15-2 to the trains :)

Julian G

Established Member
and Yorkie takes a video of all the action, oh wait the batteries gone bust!
Yorkie decides to take the battery out of a 86
so NONE decides to send a typical 315 to finish the job which doesn't
5mins later
A cl67029 comes and Powers the DVT
and the hornsey gangsta chavs join in the action
They can't do anything about it as it's a DVT ;) they are battling against!
final score 25-2
Well done trains
good match indeed! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.