• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Boys killed by Underground train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mushroom

Two young boys have been hit and killed by a London Underground train in Barking in east London.

British Transport Police said they were part of a group of boys who had been writing graffiti in a depot late on Friday night.

They were spotted by depot security staff and ran off - but two of them were hit by a District Line train entering the sidings for the night.

The circumstances of the incident are under investigation.

Security staff called the police when they spotted the boys.

But police say their officers do not chase people in these circumstances because of the dangers from trains and electrified equipment.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6258337.stm

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dennis

Established Member
Thoughts must go out to the driver and those involved with 'picking up the pieces'.

At least the two criminals won't be doing it again; is scrawling pointless cr*p on a train really worth dying for?

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Thoughts must go out to the driver and those involved with 'picking up the pieces'.

At least the two criminals won't be doing it again; is scrawling pointless cr*p on a train really worth dying for?

Exactly- I don't have any sympathy what so ever for chavs who are injured/killed by trying to graffiti something, which is on railway property.

There's loads in my area- who should i contact about possibly getting it cleaned up?

westcoaster

Established Member
well it had to happen soon enough, let this be a lesson to the so called artist's?, play with fire expect to get burned? all the ppl that have to deal with one under's and suicides are good ppl, and are thought's for the driver.

Dennis

Established Member
There's loads in my area- who should i contact about possibly getting it cleaned up?

I would suggest contacting both the local (district) council and Network Rail.

Cleaning graffiti can be very expensive; some figures were given in Rail a few issues back regarding the cleanup around Reading - this worked out at about £1000 per piece of 'artwork' removed. Cleanups can also look as bad as, if not worse than, graffiti. The putrid shades of brown chosen are in many cases not at all sympathetic to the original canvas.

nutter

Feel sympathy for the driver and the guys/gals who cleaned it up, and the families because they'd still have loved the vandals

At the end of the day, they asked to be there, the train driver and other people didn't, they're dead

(I know my comment in the second paragraph may seem extremly harsh, but it's my view of people who are stupid enough to trasspass on the railways)

Mintona

Established Member
Feel sympathy for the driver and the guys/gals who cleaned it up, and the families because they'd still have loved the vandals

At the end of the day, they asked to be there, the train driver and other people didn't, they're dead

(I know my comment in the second paragraph may seem extremly harsh, but it's my view of people who are stupid enough to trasspass on the railways)

100% agree nutter.

darrel

if their trespassing on the railway and get killed tough luck its there own fault if its a suicide and I kill them Ive done them a favour
may seem harsh but its the best way to think about it. and yes im a driver and yes ive had a fatality

Daniel

Established Member
Now on another forum myself and a couple of other people were criticised for saying "oh well, it's his fault" by someone who we believe knew the boys. However, I think it is very much the feeling of rail staff, enthusiasts and the general public, that it is not a shame they are dead, its their fault, but it is a shame that a life has been wasted which could have otherwise been improved if the individual had taken a different path.

So no, I don't really think anyone's comments in this thread are harsh - they are the truth.

Met Driver

Established Member
Now on another forum myself and a couple of other people were criticised for saying "oh well, it's his fault" by someone who we believe knew the boys. However, I think it is very much the feeling of rail staff, enthusiasts and the general public, that it is not a shame they are dead, its their fault, but it is a shame that a life has been wasted which could have otherwise been improved if the individual had taken a different path.

It was entirely their own fault - that is unquestionable. Don't see how anyone could possibly disagree with or criticise anyone for saying that.

Jim

Established Member
Play with electric - you get shocked
Play with Fire - you get burnt
Play with Water - you drown
Play with Bulding Sites - you get hit on the head
Play with Railways - you get hit

nutter

Play with electric - you get shocked
Play with Fire - you get burnt
Play with Water - you drown
Play with Buiding Sites - you get hit on the head
Play with Railways - you get hit

We could always make is more appealing to CHAVS

play with fire - you get burnt
play with water - you drown
play with building sites - you get hit on the head
play with railways - you get SMASHED

Forget mass murder, this is a legitimate way of getting rid of chavs. Just make sure you've got some cold hearted g1t like me driving the train

asopu10

"aged 19 and 21", hardley boys, there old eneuth to know better, at first glance I thought they were going to be like 12, in which case I'd partically blame the parents, but I have no sympathy for those two. Mornons should'nt have been there.

Gavelex

It wernt a train going into the sideings, it was a train doinng full line speed. didnt stand a chance. I hope the train was OK, thaughts are with the train O/P

adambro

Selected quotes from: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/6267889.stm

The father of a 19-year-old killed by a Tube train said his son's death was a "pointless waste of life".

He added: "I can't understand dying spraying a railway track that's just going to get scrubbed off anyway."

Mr Elgar's girlfriend Jodie Shea urged others: "Stay off the railway line."

She added: "The only thing I ever worried about was if he was arrested. I never thought of the danger."

Bradley's mother told others thinking about spraying graffiti on railway lines: "Please don't do it, it's not worth it. If they only knew the pain."

Dennis

Established Member
Some understandable sentiments there but "The only thing I ever worried about was if he was arrested. I never thought of the danger."....think the priorities might be wrong there. Never noticed all the warning signs around railways?

theblackwatch

Established Member
At least the parents are trying to make the best out of a very bad situation. Total respect to them

I would think most people will be in agreement with you there. It makes a pleasant change not to find some parents who try and turn the tables and blame the railway for what happened.

LucaZone

Even if their railway staff? :P

Suprising really, in todays world I would have expected the parents to leap on the attack and claim not enough was being done to prevent their boys even gaining access to the line. The media jumping on the band wagon and running another - Is Britains railways really safe? - and everyone being subject to another 'scrap the railways, bring in more roads and cars.....and associated taxes' campaign.

mindthegap

It doesn't seem to matter how much protection are put around railways to stop people trespasing, some idiot will always do it. I have no sympathy at all.

Nick W

Established Member
wrap the hole line in barbed wire? like some huge overground tube? :D

Don't forget to add lighting, walkways, emergency platforms, exit points, air exhaust systems and fire prevential systems.

Oh and you'll need platform doors else all security could be undermined.

Forget any new railway in London for 50 years...

Driver74

Two young boys have been hit and killed by a London Underground train in Barking in east London.

British Transport Police said they were part of a group of boys who had been writing graffiti in a depot late on Friday night.

They were spotted by depot security staff and ran off - but two of them were hit by a District Line train entering the sidings for the night.

The circumstances of the incident are under investigation.

Security staff called the police when they spotted the boys.

But police say their officers do not chase people in these circumstances because of the dangers from trains and electrified equipment.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6258337.stm

Young boys? Come on. One was 19 the other 21, both old enough to fight for their Country. Had they been 10 or 11 years of age one could understand their actions and their end.
Graffiti is an act of the mindless drug induce culture they live in. Art okay but in a controlled enviroment.

Status
Not open for further replies.