• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BR experimental uniform badges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Czesziafan

These 2 gilt and enamel cap badges are experimental types that BR produced in the late 60's - early 70's. They measure 2" x 1.25", have lug and split pin fixings to the rear, and as can be seen are in the old Southern and Eastern region liveries respectively. I am not sure what the thinking was behind using regional colours when the Corporate Identity programme was meant to eliminate such differences, but there must have been a reason for itBR experimental arrrow badges.jpeg .

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
Interestingly Brian Haresnape's "British Rail 1948-78 - A Journey by Design" (Ian Allan 1979) doesn't mention these at all. Are they 'Regional' colours or designed more as rank markings, perhaps?

(The return to 'Regional' colours started in the mid-1950s after the Railway Executive was disbanded and more power given to Regional Management.)

Czesziafan

I don't think they are rank or grade badges and as stated above I am a little baffled why BR produced them in the Corporate era. The only thing I can think of that is relevant is that between 1965 and 1974 public timetables and some PR/advertising material were printed in the regional colours with BR arrow loges. It might just be that these 2 badges were prototypes (or to use a coin collecting term "patterns") intended for travel centre or enquiry staff but never adopted. There is however no evidence that this was definitely the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.