• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BR Mk2 Fleet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Few questions about BR mark 2 coaches:

1) Were there any Mk2 abc, first class OPEN vehicles built, rather than just corridor versions? If so, what was the seating configuration? And anybody pics to share?

2) Were there any full air con (not brake vehicles) that were all corridor and compartments - first or second class?

3) Were composite vehicles ever built in the mk2 fleet?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Helvellyn

Established Member
1) Yes, 18 Mark 2C FOs were built (M3152-M3169). One was withdrawn in 1981 and sold to NI Railways. The remaining 17 were declassified in 1985 and converted to SOs (6400-6146).

2) Yes, 49 Mark 2D FKs were built (E13562-E13584, M13585-M13610).

3) No, but 5 Mark 2C FKs (13550/13551/13553/13558/13561) were converted by ScotRail to CKs (7550/7551/7553/7558/7561) in 1985 by declassifing 4 compartments (thus making the seating 18F 24S).

However, some Mark 2D variant composites were built for Irish Rail. Hopefully somebody else can provide more details.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
However, some Mark 2D variant composites were built for Irish Rail. Hopefully somebody else can provide more details

Came across this thread searching for something else.

I am rather a bit late to this(!), but as no further information has been posted...

Regarding Mk2 composites, nine Mk2d composites were built for CIÉ as part of a total fleet of 73 Mk2d vehicles.

As built these seated 24 Super Standard (2+1 seating) and 24 Standard (2+2). At the time of the major timetable change of the 2nd April 1973 five of the composites were converted to Standard seating 54.

With the introduction of the Mk3s from July 1984, the remaining Mk2d composites had the Super Standard accommodation declassified.

When Mk2d sets were transferred to operate the Sligo line, four composites had the Super Standard accommodation reinstated in 1988.

By 2004 only two remained as proper composites in terms of seating layout but they were fully declassified in service and by 2008 to the best of my knowledge all had been reseated to Standards internally.

The most striking thing externally is, unique among air-conditioned Mk2 vehicles, them having centre door, this originally separating the two classes as can be seen here:

59eb7eb216866_5155Mk2Composite.jpg.4fddc8516d344127c1a59a552c9ab955-1.jpg

(The four window section was originally the Super Standard section.)

greyman42

Established Member
1) Yes, 18 Mark 2C FOs were built (M3152-M3169). One was withdrawn in 1981 and sold to NI Railways. The remaining 17 were declassified in 1985 and converted to SOs (6400-6146).
I remember working on the conversions at BREL York.

superjohn

I remember working on the conversions at BREL York.
Was there much involved in the conversion?
There is an interior picture of one that is in storage at the MNR here:
The layout is still 2+1 but I guess the seats would have had orange fabric when they were first class.

Helvellyn

Established Member
The layout is still 2+1 but I guess the seats would have had orange fabric when they were first class.
Just removal of the separate adjustable head cushions, removal of any first class markings and painting over of the yellow first class stripe in rail blue.

Never quite got why they were renumbered in the 64xx series though, when as SOs they could have been renumbered in the 36xx series following on from the Mark 1 FOs that were declassified and numbered as SOs for a while (having also been numbered in the 10xx series as restaurant cars!).

Clarence Yard

Established Member
To keep all the mk 2 TSO/SO stock in one block of series numbers after the IIf build finished at 61XX. 62xx for the IId FO conversions, 64XX for the IIc FO conversions, 65xx for the IIc micro buffets, etc.

The Mk 1 SO were 36xx because that was the nearest unused free block to the 37xx to 50xx Mk 1 SO/TSO fleet, 50XX to 61XX having been taken up with the various Mk II SO/TSO builds.

Beebman

Just removal of the separate adjustable head cushions, removal of any first class markings and painting over of the yellow first class stripe in rail blue.

Never quite got why they were renumbered in the 64xx series though, when as SOs they could have been renumbered in the 36xx series following on from the Mark 1 FOs that were declassified and numbered as SOs for a while (having also been numbered in the 10xx series as restaurant cars!).

When I was commuting between Twyford and Paddington in the late 80s, ex-Mk2A BFK 35500 often turned up in the stock formations. It had head cushions and yellow stripes removed and the same blue moquette installed as in that photo above posted by @superjohn. However the 1st Class window labels hadn't been removed and it caused a certain amount of confusion - I sat in it a few times without any problems with ticket checks but once I was turfed out by a gripper claiming it was FC. The vehicle still exists at the Royal Deeside Railway where it appears to be under restoration back to a BFK as 17094 so when it's complete I'll travel up there to meet again an 'old friend'. :)

theblackwatch

Established Member
The photo at #5, which I think is 6411, shows it had been reupholstered with blue moquette, as mentioned in #10 as also done with 35500. While I think all the Mk.2c FO-SO conversions had this done, I'm not convinced this was done with the Mk.2f 'conversions' (6418-6465) which I think retained the orange moquette. I think those ones may have just had the curtains and headrest cushions removed.

greyman42

Established Member
Yes, they had the orange moquette which was replaced by the blue when they were re trimmed. They also had a blue based carpet put down which was unheard of for a second class coach. The refurbishment was classed as a C3t.

Status
Not open for further replies.