• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BR Mk2d FK info request (WR allocations, 1988)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
I'd appreciate assistance from a kind soul with a copy of the summer 1988 Platform 5 coaching stock book. I've been unable to source one from eBay, Amazon or Transport Diversions.

BR Mk2d first corridor (FK) coaches, WR-allocated in the first half of 1988? "Network Southeast" celebrity 13573 was (which, incidentally, is safely now at the Mid Norfolk Railway). But I'd appreciate confirmation of running-numbers, livery and depot for the other Western Region allocated examples.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rail-britain

Established Member
From the Winter 1988 Edition 11 -

Mark 2D FK Western Region (OM based) :
13580 I ICHX
13583 I ICHX
13591 I ICHX
13594 I ICHX
13595 I ICHX

At this time 13573 is shown as blue / grey livery IWCX based at Euston Downside
All other coaches based at BN, EC, EN, and MA

theblackwatch

Established Member
13573 wasn't the NSE coffin, that was 13575 which is now languishing on an airfield (and still carrying NSE livery!). 13573 is still blue/grey at the MNR (unless they have repainted it since it moved there, which I somewhat doubt).

rail-britain

Established Member
13573 wasn't the NSE coffin, that was 13575
Using fotopic would have confirmed that, there used to be an excellent photo of this coach at Carlisle (on a charter)!
13575 also showing as blue / grey livery IWCX based at MA

It looks these coaches moved off InterCity duties the following summer, with the introduction of the RFO

Last edited:

Helvellyn

Established Member
Didn't 13573 move to the NSSX pool as wel, but without the repaint that 13575 got?

Why exactly did NSE struggle with the air-conditioned FKs on the WoE route anyway?

theblackwatch

Established Member
Didn't 13573 move to the NSSX pool as wel, but without the repaint that 13575 got?

Why exactly did NSE struggle with the air-conditioned FKs on the WoE route anyway?

13573 was withdrawn well before then, the vehicle you are thinking of is 13563. Both this and 13575 were listed as IECX in the Spring '91 Platform 5 book but were NWXX by the time the 1992 edition appeared. 13575 can't have spent that long actually operating in NSE livery. It languished at Old Oak Common for a long time and I remember there was some uncertainty over who actually owned it as Eversholt/Forward Trust said it wasn't theirs. In the end, EWS put it up for sale, presumably based on the fact it had been stood on their premises for years and nobody else would confess to owning it!

rail-britain

Established Member
Lack of such similar coaches and spares?

Also, once a loco hauled train reaches a certain length the ETH index meets or exceeds that of the loco, especially when those coaches have air conditioning; compare Mark 2C against Mark 2D
BR were also of the opinion that air conditioning was not necessary on journeys under 4 hours, hence why the majority of their rolling stock was Mark 1 and up to Mark 2C

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
The plot thickens - thanks for all your info, folks. My assumption that the Notwork-liveried FK was 13573 came from this link:
http://www.modelgeeks.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/uk-rail/159/Mk-2d-coaches-00-gauge
(see Rich Mackin's 25th August 2003 post, second from bottom on the page).

But, if 13575 is languishing in NSE livery (go on, which airfield...), I can safely assume that Rich's assumption was wrong. Thanks for clarifying.

I don't recall seeing the FK in action, either on Waterloo to Salisbury/Exeter or Paddington to Oxford services.

Mind you, I fondly remember a storming run from Paddington to Oxford, back in the summer of '88. Two Hoovers, six bogies and a wide grin all the way...

rail-britain

Established Member
Page 24 of the 1993 edition has the photo of 13575 in NSE livery
I knew I had seen it somewhere

13563 was the only other OM based coach, still in blue / grey livery

Although 13575 was painted in NSE livery and allocated to OM I suspect it was kept as a strategic reserve as it continually turned up at Carlisle along with many of the other charter coaches in InterCity livery

theblackwatch

Established Member
13575's visit to Carlisle was on a Class 50 hauled railtour which used one of the West of England rakes of stock - I'm only aware of one such visit taking place. It saw regular use on the Waterloo-Exeter's during the short time it was allocated to that pool. It is now stored on a private site at Dalton airfield.

rail-britain

Established Member
13575's visit to Carlisle was on a Class 50 hauled railtour which used one of the West of England rakes of stock - I'm only aware of one such visit taking place
My records show at least three visits during 1993
Is this also the same year a pair of Class 50s made a rare visit to Glasgow Central?

theblackwatch

Established Member
Do you have a record of the other stock used on the trains, I suspect they were in the main NSE rakes, although I do now have a vague recollection of a Class 50 special (may have been the Glasgow one you mention or one just to Carlisle) which had 13575 tagged on to the end of the set for invited guests.

Status
Not open for further replies.