• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BR paraffin lamp - polished body?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M7R

A couple of years ago I got a BR (M) paraffin lamp which I planned to use as a table lamp in the summer in the evening.
However should it be polished? Or painted?

1642366612650.jpeg
It looks pretty much like this but the top dome is black.

I was going to shine up the bottom with brasso but not sure if it should be painted? I would leave it weathered but some bits are a nice dull brass colour others are sort of shiny so it’s a real miss match.
Any info on the lamp, its age and use etc would be great too

thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
This is a signal lamp inner fitting. The outer body would be fitted to the signal post and the fitting you have would be filled with paraffin, lit and then carried up and placed inside the body mounted on the signal. It would burn for a week if the wick was correctly adjusted.

The whole assembly would be painted black.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Similar examples appear on the usual online second hand goods platforms from time to time. Value depends on condition but having the metalwork (partly) polished to within an inch of its life, probably doesn't help!

Value:- Maybe £45-£90. The BR(M) lettering suggests a date of 1948 or later.

M7R

I didn’t pay that much for mine, looks like I will be painting it black to keep it original, thanks for the info very interesting

M7R

matt, gloss or enamel black?
I would guess enamel would be appropriate

Looking on eBay etc the ones which are the same on there and for sale all match mine with a base that’s polished?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.