• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BR sales sheets/loco scrap info

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATPVV

Hi all,

First post here. I'm doing some research at the moment in to the historic disposal of locomotives/rolling stock and their values at the time. Specifically from around 1970-present. So CF Booth, Vic Berry, Woodhams era.

I was wondering if anyone out there would happen to know where I should look to find BR's old sales sheets?

Or indeed if anyone has any knowledge or documents relating to the scrap values of locomotives, any help you can provide would be fantastic.

Cheers!

Adam

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Hi all,

First post here. I'm doing some research at the moment in to the historic disposal of locomotives/rolling stock and their values at the time. Specifically from around 1970-present. So CF Booth, Vic Berry, Woodhams era.

I was wondering if anyone out there would happen to know where I should look to find BR's old sales sheets?

Or indeed if anyone has any knowledge or documents relating to the scrap values of locomotives, any help you can provide would be fantastic.

Cheers!

Adam

Many years a go my sister worked for BR in Derby and raised invoices for the sale of scrap wagons. I suspect that like all invoices they were probably shredded after six years. The offices were located in Becket Street in Derby and years later were occupied by Porter Brook Leasing. I suspect that the Rolling Stock Library also received copies of those documents but I'm pretty sure that the Rolling Stock Library office has now closed. It's last location was Atos Origin in Beeston.

ag51ruk

Many years a go my sister worked for BR in Derby and raised invoices for the sale of scrap wagons. I suspect that like all invoices they were probably shredded after six years. The offices were located in Becket Street in Derby and years later were occupied by Porter Brook Leasing. I suspect that the Rolling Stock Library also received copies of those documents but I'm pretty sure that the Rolling Stock Library office has now closed. It's last location was Atos Origin in Beeston.

The team that actually arranged the sales was also basd in Derby (part of the BR Director of Supply, later Director of Procurement in Derwent House). Anything potentially of value was put out to tender to a motley list of scrap dealers, preservationists and people who just wanted an old guards van in their back garden, but old wagons generally just got sent for scrap. Much of the stuff being disposed of then had asbestos in it, which made even scrapping it much more difficult.

All of the Sales Acceptance forms were paper based in BR days (7 part NCR forms on white or green paper depending on whether the buyer was allowed credit or not, and produced by typewriter until into the 90s so that the 7th copy was barely readable!). The office copies of those documents will have gone into the BRB archives, although may have been destroyed by now. The invoicing system used by DoFAS in Becket Street was an old mainframe application (ACRES) that has long since disappeared.

I'm afraid I can't remember the details of any prices, although those names of the scrap merchants bring back memories (mostly happy, although not so much for Vic Berry as anyone working in that team in the late 80s will remember).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.