• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bradford-on-Avon to Teignmouth Engineering Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I am after some advice on a journey my wife and I are making this Sunday, 14th April.

Some time ago I booked us advance singles from Bradford-on-Avon to Teignmouth via Bristol. I decided to go the longer route partly due to price and partly because it would be on a Crosscountry HST. Picture below.

IMG-20190411-WA0000.jpg
At the point of booking there were no issues at all, but since then it's been announced buses will replace trains on the line through Bradford-on-Avon.

I am left with two options: traveling via Westbury (half an hour on a coach, short connection, then a direct train, taking just over two hours in total) or taking my original route (hour and a half to Bristol on a coach, nearly an hours wait, then booked train, taking over 3 1/2 hours total).

Clearly I would prefer to take the Westbury route, especially with a small baby!

Will my ticket be valid via Westbury due to the circumstances of the line being shut? If not how understanding / lenient are ticket inspectors likely to be?

The only reason I'm asking is because of the fact my booked Crosscountry train IS running and I'm not sure how relevant the "and connections" part of the ticket is.

Thanks for your assistance on this.

Tom

Attachments

• IMG-20190411-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20190411-WA0000.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 0
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Hello, I am after some advice on a journey my wife and I are making this Sunday, 14th April.

Some time ago I booked us advance singles from Bradford-on-Avon to Teignmouth via Bristol. I decided to go the longer route partly due to price and partly because it would be on a Crosscountry HST. Picture below.

View attachment 61378
At the point of booking there were no issues at all, but since then it's been announced buses will replace trains on the line through Bradford-on-Avon.

I am left with two options: traveling via Westbury (half an hour on a coach, short connection, then a direct train, taking just over two hours in total) or taking my original route (hour and a half to Bristol on a coach, nearly an hours wait, then booked train, taking over 3 1/2 hours total).

Clearly I would prefer to take the Westbury route, especially with a small baby!

Will my ticket be valid via Westbury due to the circumstances of the line being shut? If not how understanding / lenient are ticket inspectors likely to be?

The only reason I'm asking is because of the fact my booked Crosscountry train IS running and I'm not sure how relevant the "and connections" part of the ticket is.

Thanks for your assistance on this.

Tom
Unless it is critical that you arrive at the destination on time, I would simply arrive at Bradford-on-Avon station in time for your originally booked departure (it may be worthwhile printing out your booking confirmation), and then ask the members of staff what you should do.

I would have suspected that they will direct you to the bus to Bristol, whenceforth you can take the next available CrossCountry service to Teignmouth, but if you ask nicely they may endorse the ticket for travel via Westbury. Either way, you will be entitled to delay compensation if you end up being delayed - if it is, as is likely to be the case, GWR that causes your journey to become delayed, you will be entitled to compensation on the Delay Repay compensation scale, for any delay of 15 minutes or longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.