• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bradford - Pontefract Mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Requeststop

Can anyone here help me at all?

I'm planning a rail trip back to the UK in October, and I'm trying to add up some mileage beforehand.

I want to travel on Grand Central's service from Pontefract Monkhill to Bradford Interchange. Unfortunately, Realtimetrains don't give the mileage nor does the ever increasingly worsening National Timetables.

My Quails seen to have disappeared from my bookshelves

So if anyone can give me the distance between Pontefract Monkhill to Bradford Interchange via Mirfield and Halifax, I'd be grateful.

Also word on what the service is like on Grand Central would be ideal.

Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bradford758

About half the GC services don't run via Pontefract.

Sent from my 4009X using Tapatalk

Kite159

Veteran Member
I make it 35 miles & 45 Chains using Rail-Miles and splitting the journey at Mirfield to force it to go that direction.

As for GC, you will almost be guaranteed to have a 180, of which the last time I travelled on felt like needing a refresh on the inside.

Iskra

Established Member
I make it 35 miles & 45 Chains using Rail-Miles and splitting the journey at Mirfield to force it to go that direction.

As for GC, you will almost be guaranteed to have a 180, of which the last time I travelled on felt like needing a refresh on the inside.

They are indeed in need of a refresh and a good clean. Also, Pontefract-Bradford is a very slow and tedious journey with Grand Central.

bradford758

I sometimes use it for day trips from to stations along the line (as far as Doncaster)

Last edited:

Requeststop

Thanks for your replies folks. Extremely useful information and advice.

I'm doing the journey as part of my line coverage of the UK so the time the journey takes is not a matter for me.

Is there any catering on that part of the journey after Kings Cross - Doncaster?

Only thinking of a cuppa, nothing more.

bradford758

Thanks for your replies folks. Extremely useful information and advice.

I'm doing the journey as part of my line coverage of the UK so the time the journey takes is not a matter for me.

Is there any catering on that part of the journey after Kings Cross - Doncaster?

Only thinking of a cuppa, nothing more.
The route between Ponte and Bradford is also used by other, local services, but only 1 each section Pontefract - Wakefield Kirkgate - Mirfield - Brighouse - Bradford Interchange. However, Grand Central have the only services on Doncaster - Pontefract M.
Not really noticed the catering, you'd have to search it out, it's probably open but not for long.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
When I've travelled with GC they normally shut the buffet counter just before Wakefield. If you're quick you should be able to get a cuppa.

Iskra

Established Member
The coffee on Grand Central is better than most I've had on other trains. They also do (or did) a nice sausage sandwich. Prices aren't too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.